So I had this job. Menial cashier job at an am/pm. Their policy was that you couldn't have your phone with you behind the counter. I refuse to let my berry (back then it was my trusty old Curve 8900) be anywhere but on me in public. So I would keep it in my pocket. The owner wanted me to sign a poorly worded, simple contract that was fraught with spelling and grammatical errors, stating they could fire me and call me a thief (and presumuably, prosecute as a thief) if I forgot to mention prepaid phone card sales to the main till (the PIN's used in the control system were stupidly posted on the wall by manager so anyone could have vender under my PIN making it look like I had). Refusing to sign "will results to immediate termenations" (just a small example of the grammatical and spelling errors). This was posted behind the counter where I was not supposed to have my berry. That was 11/06/11 according to the video I took with that berry's trusty 3.2 mp camera, where I state my name, show my face, the document in question, the store inside, the store outside, and the store address, and state for visual record that I refuse to sign said document. I also took a picture of the document.

Fast forward to 12/27/11. Up to this point, my manager agreed with me that it was an unreasonable document, and hadnt made me sign. He goes on vacation, and a temporary manager is told by the higher ups to get everyone to sign the document. I refused and was told I could not work until I did sign it. So they sent me home. I send an email to the higher ups stating that I am not quitting, but I will not sign this document as it is worded because I will not agree to opening myself up to prosecution and the ruining of my good name as an honest person , and I await when they will let me return to work. I did not mention that I have gathered evidence about what was going on on my BB. Kept that up my sleeve. Next day I go in to grab my check and am told the manager has been instructed to let me go for being insubordinate. As I had expected.

Now fast forward to 07/12/12. Having finally worked enough hours to claim unemployment (I only have a 12 hour a week job so partial unemployment can be a great help), I called, set up my claim and everything sounded good to go. Then today, I get a claimants voluntary quit statement. Apparently they claim I quit voluntarily. And I felt a slight moment of despair, thinking how am I gonna prove they fired me? Then I remembered. I had foreseen all of this back in Nov. when they tried to make me sign the document in the first place. And I covered my with the BB they had forbid me from having with me.

When I got my 9900, I had transferred my sd card with the picture and the video. So I grabbed it, found the video and the picture, and am now no longer despairing. This is gonna help my situation alot, and if I hadn't refused to let my berry be anywhere but on me I would be pretty screwed on this one. I am elated that my berry is going to help me fight back against an employer who has taken advantage of how horrible the economy around here is to force unreasonable demands upon his employees. Before that Curve, I only had a crappy att flip phone, and had I been told to leave that in the back I would have complied no problem. Even if I had it on me and tried to take pictures, that phones crappy camera would have rendered it unreadable. I'm glad I got into Blackberry
    07-14-12 08:44 PM
    I didn't realize was offensive in this context, how can I change the thread name?
    07-14-12 08:47 PM
    That's some Jason Bourne stuff you pulled there, haha. You're probably a little overqualified to be a cashier any ways.
    07-14-12 08:54 PM
    That's some Jason Bourne stuff you pulled there, haha. You're probably a little overqualified to be a cashier any ways.
    Too true! But you take what you can get around here lately. Just a little south of you in WA.
    07-14-12 08:56 PM
    You sound a bit immature to be honest. I mean can you seriously not put your phone away for a bit while you're working?
    07-14-12 09:02 PM
    You sound a bit immature to be honest. I mean can you seriously not put your phone away for a bit while you're working?
    In my pocket is away. I wasn't using it I just wouldn't leave it in the back like they wanted because I prefer to keep expensive electronics close to hand. Even more so now since my playbook was stolen a few months ago. Thanks for the replacement Crackberry Forum members, yet again! Will always be grateful!
    07-14-12 09:06 PM
    Hope it all works out for you. It still amazes me how many people don't realize that everything is likely to be video recorded by someone, somewhere. And you're definitely overqualified for a cashier job.
    07-14-12 09:49 PM
    I sign everything with a fake signature lol.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-14-12 10:00 PM
    You couldn't just put it in a locker or lock it in your glove compartment in your car?
    07-14-12 10:09 PM
    You couldn't just put it in a locker or lock it in your glove compartment in your car?
    And how would that have helped me at all? You have missed the point. It wasn't because of me using the phone that they had that policy. I worked at a gas station during busy times, didn't have time to just whip out my phone and communicate with everyone. It was in my pocket and at the end of my shift I used it to cover my rear.That's what the point was.

But no, there was no locker to put it in, and no, the parking lot there was car prowler central. Out in the boonies, mad tweekers around all the time. And the car doesn't have a locking compartment.

Thanks to whoever fixed my thread title! You're awesome!
    07-15-12 12:29 AM
    I would have the same policy if I was an employer (the inputting prepaid card sales into the main till, probably the no phones at the counter one as well) but no way would I let anyone share their login pin, that's just asking for theft.
    Whereabouts in Wa? I'm living in Tacoma right now.
    07-15-12 01:59 AM
    I would have the same policy if I was an employer (the inputting prepaid card sales into the main till, probably the no phones at the counter one as well) but no way would I let anyone share their login pin, that's just asking for theft.
    Whereabouts in Wa? I'm living in Tacoma right now.
    It wasn't inputting it into the main till. I just had to let them know, and when I was main till people had to tell me. Which was fine but sometimes I forget things, it doesn't make me a thief. And I don't agree to anyone calling me a thief for any reason other than me actually stealing something, which I would not do. I also agree with the no cell phones while working but if it's in my pocket, completely silenced, not even on vibrate, then what should it matter? And we didn't have a choice the manager of the store put the PINs up before that system was even in place, they were the vend IDs for the new safe. Cause I wouldn't share it either if given the choice (the manager was actually stealing from petty cash so the more he made it look like everyone had everyone's numbers the easier it was for him to keep doing it after they caught him the first time)

Currently in Everett, but I grew up moving regularly around Tacoma (Ruston, Parkland, Fife, Tacoma proper. You know the Rialto theater? My dad ran it back in the 80's when it was still a movie theater. He was also a radio personality on KTAC 88.5 AM back then, and he was the Freeway Hero when the regular guy went on vacation. Plus my family has run alot of the Drive-Ins (112th Street, Autoview, The Rodeo, The Valley 6 (my uncle currently runs this one), The Midway) around here for the last 50 years or so) and Auburn, and settled in Auburn as my home once I was on my own. Until a couple years ago when I ended up homeless. Currently in my dad's living room. So still technically homeless. But working my way out of it, if I can just catch a break. Hopefully the truth will prevail in this case. That would be a decent break.
    07-15-12 02:26 AM
    To the OP keeping your phone with you turned out to be a smart move. I have the same rule and its saved my a$$ on more than one occasion.
    07-15-12 03:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD