How much would you pay for a BlackBerry email account that was secure and could not be hacked by the NSA?
    Is this something BlackBerry should sell? It could go through their NOCs.
    Would they do this and p1ss off the American government or are they too big a customer?
    08-22-13 01:52 PM
    Alex Jones?
    08-22-13 02:01 PM
    So nobody here cares if Google sifts through your emails looking for keywords so they can market to you?
    Nobody cares if their email info is being sold to third party companies?
    08-22-13 02:02 PM
    Not a dime seeing as there is nothing in any email that I send or receive that would be even remotely interesting to the NSA or any other agency. We need a "Department of Solutions Looking for a Problem" around here.

As to Google and third party entities, I again could not care less. I have one Google email account that is used for absolutely nothing important.
    08-22-13 02:14 PM
    Well I have nothing to hide. And most people don't either. So many won't mind it. I'm sure those who find it creepy or have something to hide would pay considerably well for something like that

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    08-22-13 02:19 PM
    And for things that are important?

PGP.

Not sure if there's a native pgp client for bb10 (didn't check) and either way, use it on the GS4 anyway.

A paid for service is all well and good - contractual concerns aside: all providers are beholden to laws, Nat security etc. Nothing is that private unless you do the legwork.

If one is that inclined - set up ones own mail server and go from there.

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    08-22-13 02:22 PM
    Well I have nothing to hide. And most people don't either. So many won't mind it. I'm sure those who find it creepy or have something to hide would pay considerably well for something like that

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    Well, whether or not you have anything to hide, why would you want some companies combing through your correspondence, looking for some key words to use to send you junk mail?
    You guys would have been great in East Germany.
    i wouldnt pay anything either. i have a hotmail, outlook gmail and work accounts. I know one is already monitored by the gov and the others dont have anything in them to get me in trouble anyway
    Zero. Work email goes through work address. Confidential things stay confidential.
    Got nothing to hide in my personal email, so I couldn't care less what the NSA is looking for.
    If they want to see me asking my wife to pick up some spaghetti sauce, then let them.
    If I ever did want to hide something, I'm probably not going to send it though ANY email service without some sort of encryption before it leaves my PC.
    Bingo!

Encryption. Open source.

Paid services are all well and good - but, as we've seen; these services will get leaned on and eventually they'll have to crack or fold.

kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    08-22-13 02:27 PM
    That is partly why BB failed, marketing security that most just dont' care. I agreed with most people here, why does it matter that the NSA can read my emails when i have nothing to hide. And i dont think they are spending their resources scanning ur emails to find out what is going on in ur personal life, those information are freely available on facebook.
    08-22-13 02:33 PM
    Why would anybody pay for something that already has numerous free alternatives to achieve the same results?

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    08-22-13 02:47 PM
    I use an English <> Kingon translator to secure my Gmail

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 03:11 PM
    You guys would have been great in East Germany.
    I may be wrong but I think the people of East Germany had bigger fish to fry than junk mail for "enhancement pills, various body enlarging (or reducing) creams and salves, "hoo-da-hah" rejuvenation procedures (yes, I got one of those )low rate mortgages, and money transfer offers from Nigerian royalty,
    08-22-13 03:23 PM
    I have a secure BIS email account and pay about $7/month. Would love to have a secure account that goes through BB NOC on OS 10 device. Actually thinking about upgrading to 9720 PROVIDED that I can keep my BIS email account.
    08-22-13 03:26 PM
    If um going to get ads on screen or through spam, I'd rather it be for something that I am at least remotely interested in.
    08-22-13 03:32 PM
    I have a secure BIS email account and pay about $7/month. Would love to have a secure account that goes through BB NOC on OS 10 device. Actually thinking about upgrading to 9720 PROVIDED that I can keep my BIS email account.
    Secure BIS? Surely you don't really believe that?
    08-22-13 03:35 PM
    Lol hey The Nigeria princes can do you a really good deal!

But in all seriousness, it really comes down to privacy being a basic human right, constitutionally, or not.

It's not about having nothing to hide, nothing to fear; permission should be sought first.

Innocent until PROVEN guilty.

If some one is to be searched, they must be openly accused and then proof brought forward and, if innocent, reparations. There is such a thing as due process. All this sneaking thieving nonsense - not right, morally, ethically, constitutionally.

Someone wants to see my grocery shopping list - ask first. I won't say no, have nothing to hide.

It's ironic - these services are free. If everybody actually cared about their privacy, and used said services; well, it would be a hypothetical meltdown!

Facebook and the like have created an open mentality where privacy is irrelevant.

That's a shame.

But then I'm old and lived through years of deceit, fear and cold.

The faceless seekers are now us. We learned and excelled at the games of others.

For shame.

ezrunner, Bobert_123 and FCSC like this.
    08-22-13 03:35 PM
    I wouldn't mind a completely secure email, not that I have anything to hide but because my privacy is that cherished by me.

I have emails with most of the large email providers, nothing of any importance goes through them. I use the for Internet forums, junk mail etc. Work email is exactly that work.

The NSA/US got has overstepped it's bounds in my opinion. I didn't serve in the Marine Corps to defend a society that has turned into what it has.

Posted via CB10
    MBA_STOCKDOGS likes this.
    08-22-13 03:45 PM
    maybe, but the second your email is sent to a gmail/hotmail/yahoo address and replied or forwarded through that service, doesn't that mean that the original message is compromised? needs to be secure on both ends and not transferable to another service which isn't secure.
    08-22-13 03:55 PM
    maybe, but the second your email is sent to a gmail/hotmail/yahoo address and replied or forwarded through that service, doesn't that mean that the original message is compromised? needs to be secure on both ends and not transferable to another service which isn't secure.
    Precisely why pgp exists ;-)

08-22-13 04:00 PM

Sorry to tell you: Your BIS account is *NOT* secure.

1. Any vendor/provider has to work with national (intelligense) services - one way or another.
    2. All trafic to/from your account is send via standard/unencrypted SMTP
    3. Traffic between your handheld and BIS is encrypted using DES which can be decrypted in near realtime. The observer has to understand the SRP protocol though as the DES encrypted payload (=your email) is incapsulated in the SRP.

Use BIS for what it is/was: A service giving you push emails on your legacy BB device with encryption.
    danprown likes this.
    08-22-13 04:09 PM
    Although I get a lot of ads for Kablosh and Arkfarb shoes.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 04:23 PM
    I want GPG management on my phone :
    - store my private key
    - store my friends public keys
    - automatically decrypt the messages sent to me with my key
    - automatically ask for their public key
    - automatically share my public key
    - automatically use their public key while sending to them.
    - full integration with BB10 and the hub.

I would pay 5 bucks for that but BlackBerry should do it by themselves, native.

In any case, it must be based on standard protocols and easy storage of keys. We also need a way to import/export keys.

I believe that an email can be sent with all the public keys of my contacts using my private key to encrypt them, with a way to store the private key on a sd card, or locally, by bluetooth.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 05:05 PM
    I don't like the way google and microsoft, to a lesser extent, want you to have one account where you store all your information.
    That said I don't worry that google are spying on me personally. Google don't spy on people individually. They socially profile accounts, they attach mood scores to emails and searches. They statistically monitor this information to predict trends. They exploit these trends. They sell data on trends to others who might wish to seek advantage from them.
    On the one hand this is just good business sense on the other the quality of the data is so much better than anything that had been available before, it's a positive feedback loop which exaggerates market trends and destabilise markets.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 05:32 PM
51 123