Just curious, I would think the amount of app purchases has to be way up with the all the new capabilities of BB10...I know I've spent more on apps in the last week than I did in the last year or more on BB7!! I've had my Z10 (which is freakin awesome!) for 6 days and have spent at least $50 on apps and games, and another $30 on music. Ususally spend up to $50/month on iTunes music downloads but BB World will be getting all that $$$ in the future.

Would the increased app/music//movie revenue offset or even be higher than what will be lost through decreasing BIS service fees? All I hear in the media from analysts is the sky is falling with BIS fees going away but they never mention potential huge increases in BB World revenue to offset that.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    02-14-13 09:09 AM
    It won't offset anything if they don't sell it to me here in US
    02-14-13 09:11 AM
    I got my Z10 on the 5th and must admit I have been spending more on apps and games than ever...

I assume it will settle at some point, but right now it's just fun to explore and use...
    02-14-13 10:37 AM
    The iTunes Store doesn't make a lot of money, only like $50 million, so BlackBerry is probably going to lose money on it but people expect an app world so it is worth it

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-14-13 12:00 PM
    I don't think they will be making money yet. If I had to guess, I would think some of the apps are being unnaturally subsidized to be competitive, but don't know for sure.
    02-14-13 12:07 PM
    As others have noted, likely not enough to be material. At best, it's breakeven to keep the business going and they need an app store to sell devices. As has been noted, Apple really doesn't make much either on App Store app sales or iTunes ... again, a marketing tool to sell high margin iPhones, iPods and iPads. The publishing stuff might be higher margin though.
    02-14-13 12:09 PM
    I got my Z10 on the 5th and must admit I have been spending more on apps and games than ever...

I assume it will settle at some point, but right now it's just fun to explore and use...
    The app experience is better too. I almost never bought apps for BlackBerry OS, but buy them all the time for PlayBook (mostly games).
    02-14-13 12:10 PM
    The iTunes Store doesn't make a lot of money, only like $50 million, so BlackBerry is probably going to lose money on it but people expect an app world so it is worth it

iTunes has $12 billion revenue a year:

iTunes Now Does $12 Billion A Year - Business Insider
    cjcampbell likes this.
    02-14-13 12:12 PM

to be exact: around $30 to $40 Mio

EACH DAY !!!!!
    02-14-13 12:55 PM
    Usually spend up to $50/month on iTunes music downloads but BB World will be getting all that $$$ in the future.
    $50/mo on iTunes?? sheesh!
    02-14-13 03:06 PM
    iTunes has $12 billion revenue a year:

iTunes Now Does $12 Billion A Year - Business Insider
    You know the difference between profit and revenue, or were you too excited to try and rub my nose in it that you didn't read your own article.

Google iTunes and profit. I can guarantee you it is like 500 million like I said already.

02-14-13 03:44 PM