It seems that GPS systems may be in trouble. A new company wants to deliver broadband internet but their system also blocks out GPS signals.

They are looking for a solution to the problem. I hope they can find one.

http://www.dairyherd.com/dairy-news/latest/Is-the-end-of-GPS-technology-near-123754299.html

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-11 09:56 AM
    There is too much that depends on GPS for something like this to ever move forward. From agriculture to military to personal use to EMS... Not gonna happen.
    06-14-11 10:12 AM
    Ha! As many cities as I have to go to?!? I'd turn up missing if I didn't have GPS on my phone!

06-14-11 10:38 AM
    Now I never care about GPS on my phone, but GPS in general I live using!

Broadband internet is in no way worthy of removing GPS,
    06-14-11 10:40 AM
    There is too much that depends on GPS for something like this to ever move forward. From agriculture to military to personal use to EMS... Not gonna happen.
    I agree. Can you immagine the lawsuits that would result if this system was put into opperation without a fix for the GPS problem.

That's not counting the military importance which is enough to keep it on the drawing board all by itself.

06-14-11 11:02 AM
    Yeah, they're dreaming. They will be forced in to alternative frequencies that don't cause that type of interference. There are lots of choices... check out WiMAX.
    06-14-11 11:06 AM
    I believe it's LTE isn't it? Is it different from the existing LTE?

06-14-11 11:19 AM
    No GPS. No sale in my household. We use the system for almost all our travel and sometimes for exercise apps. Not a fair trade to get broadband and lose GPS.
    06-14-11 11:20 AM
    I believe the internation tel com is in charge of the bandplan.

06-14-11 01:10 PM
    This is currently a USA issue and the FCC is responsible for bandwidth allocations. They are also responsible to make sure that any new technology does not interfere or render useless any existing operations.
    06-14-11 01:38 PM
    This is currently a USA issue and the FCC is responsible for bandwidth allocations. They are also responsible to make sure that any new technology does not interfere or render useless any existing operations.
    You are correct. But it seems that the FCC isn't doing it's job very well.

From the article:
    "The concern over GPS technology stems from a recent waiver granted by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to a company called LightSquared. LightSquared wants to dramatically expand the broadband network by building 40,000 ground stations. The problem is these ground stations would operate at power levels more than one billion times the power of GPS signals as received on earth. The strength of the broadband network would interfere with GPS signals"

I'm not sure what it means to have been granted a waiver. Does it mean that they can start building their network regardless of it's impact on GPS?

06-14-11 02:44 PM
    LightSquared is being allowed to build out a ground-based wireless network and is subject to testing and FCC approval:

In its Order and Authorization, the FCC required that LightSquared create a working group with the GPS community "to address interference concerns regarding GPS and, further, that this [working group] process must be completed to the Commission�s satisfaction before LightSquared commences offering commercial service." LightSquared has committed $20 million to the working group and appointed Charles Trimble of the U.S. GPS Industry Council to serve as co-chair.

LightSquared cannot commence commercial operations of its terrestrial network until the FCC, "after consultation with NTIA [National Telecommunications and Information Administration], concludes that harmful interference concerns have been resolved and sends a letter to LightSquared stating that the process is complete."
    06-14-11 03:02 PM
    I use telenav alot. It's free on sprint! I dont get why att wants to charge 10 bucks a month for it? Is it 10 bucks for verizon too?
    06-14-11 03:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD