My contract is up with Telus - has been for about a year now and have been waiting for the z10 - and I will be shopping for a new plan. My best bet is to go with Rogers since I have a couple of other employees who are with them on our company account.

I know this depends on each individual's usage pattern but I'm just looking for an idea of how much data I will need. Rogers offers 2GB and 6GB plans on their website.

Here is a brief description of my current usage:
    - Most of my use is for email
    - I have 6 users on my BBM and use it often
    - Given my current device, a Torch 9800 on OS6, I browse the internet but only when necessary.
    - I don't stream radio or videos due to data usage concens and poor internet performance of my device

Now I expect this to change significantly with the z10, especially the web browsing and radio/video streaming. I've been told that 1GB should suffice but if they're offering 2GB minimum I'll go with that. But will it be enough? It's an additional $25/month for 6GB and I don't want to spend the extra if I'll never go above 2GB.

I won't be streaming too much...maybe once or twice per week; web browsing, maybe once a day. I expect to be using more apps that use data but don't know how much data that may take.

So what are the typical data requirements? How much does radio streaming use up in an hour? How about video like YouTube or Scoremobile?

Thanks for any guidance you can give me...
    01-26-13 07:43 AM
    You SHOULD be ok with 2GB, but no one knows for sure until BB10 comes out. The problem is that BB10 is not using BIS the same way as BBOS & as such MAY not have the same compression. That being said, for what your doing, you should be ok. If I were you, I would wait a couple more weeks till people understand how BB10 is using data. I suspect it will still be compressed....After all Windows 8 is now also compressing data (dependant on if the carrier enables it on their networks)
    01-26-13 07:54 AM
    When I use my Android phone, and I have a similar usage pattern as you, I rarely go over 400mb.
    01-26-13 07:59 AM
    You SHOULD be ok with 2GB, but no one knows for sure until BB10 comes out. The problem is that BB10 is not using BIS the same way as BBOS & as such MAY not have the same compression. That being said, for what your doing, you should be ok. If I were you, I would wait a couple more weeks till people understand how BB10 is using data. I suspect it will still be compressed....After all Windows 8 is now also compressing data (dependant on if the carrier enables it on their networks)

Why not go with 2 and just keep an eye on your data numbers. I know US companies are always happy to let you up your plan, so if Rogers is the same, go with two and increase if you need it.

I have 2 and seldom go over 1/2 a gig with an I-Phone and similar usage patterns to you.
    01-26-13 08:05 AM
    I think you will be very shocked and satisfied with the upgrade from os 6 to bb10, but I would caution early on in going to low on your plan. Personally, when I went from my storm to my torch my data usage increased significantly because the phone was so much easier and was made for that type of stuff. For example, YouTube, nobex,etc.

Couple things you might not have considered:. Do you own a playbook as well? If so,if you bridge a lot that will beextra data. For example, I bridge videos while sitting at the soccer fields frequently. I prefer the larger screen to watch videos on.
    Wifi:. Are you frequently hooked up to Wifi? If so data usage would then decrease for you.

Just my opinion.
    01-26-13 08:06 AM
    i have much heavier use and only hit 1.5GB with my 9700. i'm talking hours of music streaming & browsing, some internet tethering from my playbook, etc.
    01-26-13 08:07 AM
    Yes, i do have and use my wifi connection at home so that may very well reduce my plan usage. But it looks like 2gb should be enough, just like I suspected. Carriers here are also more than happy to bump up plans so the wise thing to do is go for the minimum at first. I just didn't want to hit 4gb in my first month and pay premium prices for the extra.

I was particularly concerned about video and radio streaming since I haven't done much of that in the past. Does anyone know or can point me to statistics on data use for this?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    01-26-13 08:30 AM
    I would say if you have wifi at home then 2GB is probably enough. I actually had to take the compression feature off of my phone because when I upgraded to OS6 it was killing my battery within 5 hours. I took off the compression and was happily back to 2 days between charges and I have never even been close to my limit. I have a curve 9300 and I usually have between 3 - 5 email addresses running at a time and I also use fb, twitter, and news sites a lot.
    01-26-13 09:59 AM
    I think you'll need the extra data once you have a phone that performs so well. I have the same phone as you and regularly approach 2-3 GB's. I'm also with Telus, and if your timing is right you can score the 1 GB plan with bonus 5 GB for the same price as 1 GB. That's what I have and will hang onto. Rogers also puts out their 6 GB plan on sale about twice a year. Worth waiting for if you can. As for using wifi to save data, keep in mind that some people's wifi will be slower than LTE. Not using a phone to it's full capabilities would bother me.
    01-26-13 10:37 AM
    A 128 kbps audio stream will chew up 57.6 MBytes in an hour 128000 x 60 x 60 / 8 bits in a Byte.
    01-26-13 11:43 AM
    A 128 kbps audio stream will chew up 57.6 MBytes in an hour 128000 x 60 x 60 / 8 bits in a Byte.
    Wow...that's it??? Had I known...

After posting my original question I remembered Telus keeps invocie records on their website so I checked my last 12 months. The most I've used in any one monh was 143mb with the majority being under 100mb. So I think 2gb will definitely be enough even with the z10's superior performance.

As a sidenote, I also noticed my voice calls were far above my 400 included (averaging 700 minutes) and texts increased gradually over the year (I have no text plan so pay-per-use). The latter probably reflects the shift from BBM as some I knew on BB switched to IOS and Android, but I expect that to change this year.

Thanks to all your replies...they will help me decide what plan to get.
    01-26-13 12:00 PM
    Wow...that's it??? Had I known...

After posting my original question I remembered Telus keeps invocie records on their website so I checked my last 12 months. The most I've used in any one monh was 143mb with the majority being under 100mb. So I think 2gb will definitely be enough even with the z10's superior performance.

As a sidenote, I also noticed my voice calls were far above my 400 included (averaging 700 minutes) and texts increased gradually over the year (I have no text plan so pay-per-use). The latter probably reflects the shift from BBM as some I knew on BB switched to IOS and Android, but I expect that to change this year.

Thanks to all your replies...they will help me decide what plan to get.
    Just remember though that BB10 will be able to do things like video chats and VoIP via BBM and probably other apps too, and your usage may change some based on new capabilities of the device. So you may find yourself using more and more with time as you start using more features.
    01-26-13 12:14 PM

I've been busy and have been out of the loop - have we had any official confirmation about how BIS works with BB10 either way?
    01-26-13 12:23 PM
    Just remember though that BB10 will be able to do things like video chats and VoIP via BBM and probably other apps too, and your usage may change some based on new capabilities of the device. So you may find yourself using more and more with time as you start using more features.
    Yes, I'm aware of that and that is what I took into consideration. I can see myself buying more apps and using the browser and streaming apps more often due to the improvements.

If my math is right, I can use 20 times my current average of 100mg +/- and still be around the 2gb limit. If I go slightly above I can just pay the extra but if I consistently reach over I have the option to bump it to 6gb. There is a breakeven point that can be calculated where it makes sense to go to 6gb.

Now that I hink of it,for carriers this should be a strong motivator to push BB10 since better device performance will lead to more data consumption and increased revenues for them. Sorry, I'm an accountant by trade.
    01-26-13 12:58 PM
    Very pertinent question. Us Verizon users have to contemplate the new Shared Data plans in making our purchase decision....
    01-26-13 10:07 PM
    I have the Verizon unlimited data plan and after talking to Verizon I was informed if I want a subsidized new BB10 I would have to choose a plan with limited data. I have decided to keep my unlimited data and pay full boat for my BB10. I do not want to wait for thr upgrade in June and then I am going to use as much data as I can lol
    01-26-13 10:36 PM
    I think you will be very shocked and satisfied with the upgrade from os 6 to bb10, but I would caution early on in going to low on your plan.
    Can you give us some measures of your data usage on BB10? They don't have to be exact, just ballpark.
    01-26-13 11:05 PM
    I am new to bb10 had the torch previously. I have 500 mb of data and have never even used 50% monthly. I do not stream videos, movies, music do not use Youtube and I just received word that I am at 80% usage with 9 days left on billing cycle. I am off to the Rogers store to find out what the heck went on.
    02-22-13 09:55 AM
    You can also keep an eye on your daily, weekly, monthly and unlimited data usage cycles with the Data Usage Counter app

Available at the BlackBerry World

Last edited by tonyblaze; 05-21-13 at 01:44 AM.
    05-08-13 12:06 PM
    I have the BlackBerry Z10. I watch lots if videos on YouTube. Stream quite often the Radio, and i used around 1.7go in a month. So, 2gb might be enough. 3-4 though would be better. You don't need 6.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 12:42 PM