I'm currently on a Classic. The KEYOne is the first Android based BB phone I have any interest in.

I am concerned re: how much data access Google can have purely by owning and developing the core of Android. Can they just read my contacts? Can they read more? Can Blackberry restrict Google's access to data on the phone which is not already on a Google online service?

As much as I think BlackBerry way overplays the privacy and security card, it does matter at the end of the day.
    03-04-17 11:35 AM
    I am pretty sure most of you dont understand what is behind google services. Sure there is some data tracking like analytics and such but its not like it spies on everything you do.

Google services are there to help apps operate to their fullest. Its an easy set of APIs that all apps can tap into so they arent having to code extra repetitive features into their apps. Need GPS/cell location? Its already done for you and your app just requests it from play services since it has it already. This way 15 apps arent making their own requests and reducing your battery to nothing.

It makes an easy way for apps/games to store data on your google drive, connect to facebook/twitter and integrate other apps like fitness tracking with a food logger.

If you dont use chrome on android or google for your search then google doesn't magically have your web history and browsing habits.

All of this makes Android better for the consumer and the developers. Sure there is some data that google obtains but its not a massive amount that people think. The apps themselves tell you what data they have access to and THAT is what really matters. If the flashlight app wants access to your contacts and "accounts" its probably not something you want to download. But if a game wants access to you "contacts" its probably in good faith so you can "share" your games scores or connect to them.

And also as some pointed out you can easily control some of your privacy settings on the google site to limit what they see. And as always, all this data is used anonymously with no names connected.
    If you go to privacy.google.com you can manage your Google privacy settings from there.

Nougat has app permission settings so you can also control what your apps can access.
    Thud Hardsmack and BigBadWulf like this.
    03-04-17 11:59 AM
    How about the DTEK?

Posted via CB10
    03-04-17 02:44 PM
    No, Blackberry cannot restrict the access by Google services. All the services associated with Google will be able to have full access to your phone regardless if you want it or not. You can set the access for the applications you install but this does not apply for Google services itself.

Basically, when Google services is installed on your phone it can send whatever information it chooses. We actually don't know what information it sends because it is encrypted. We do know that it sends information to Google very often, like at least every 15 minutes. Google is open about some of the data it sends like your exact location so that they can "tailor you searches".

In my opinion you want privacy, my suggestion is that you don't use Google at all not even your desktop. Use another OS like BB10 if you want privacy.
    03-04-17 02:59 PM
    It's really scary.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-17 03:16 PM
    No, Blackberry cannot restrict the access by Google services. All the services associated with Google will be able to have full access to your phone regardless if you want it or not. You can set the access for the applications you install but this does not apply for Google services itself.

Basically, when Google services is installed on your phone it can send whatever information it chooses. We actually don't know what information it sends because it is encrypted. We do know that it sends information to Google very often, like at least every 15 minutes. Google is open about some of the data it sends like your exact location so that they can "tailor you searches".

In my opinion you want privacy, my suggestion is that you don't use Google at all not even your desktop. Use another OS like BB10 if you want privacy.
    I don't get how companies would use Android over OS10.

I mean, sure, apps and stuff work on Android.

But the thing is that Google has complete access to your communications - what if you send e-mails with some kind of prototypes etc.
    Why would you want an another company to have access to company secrets?!

Also, I claim - even if you set Android privacy settings to most private they will probably still track anything.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-17 03:32 PM
    I have said this a thousand times that anytime you access the grid, you sacrifice some of your privacy and unfortunately that's the price we pay for technology.

I always tell folks to have a good password and stay away from websites your not familiar with. As far as companies mining your data, welcome to the 21st century. Life is way to short to worry about it.
    03-04-17 04:01 PM
    Google will drink your milkshake!

They will DRINK IT ALL!

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    03-04-17 04:03 PM

But the thing is that Google has complete access to your communications - what if you send e-mails with some kind of prototypes etc.
    Why would you want an another company to have access to company secrets?!

Also, I claim - even if you set Android privacy settings to most private they will probably still track anything.
    Companies who deploy Android devices use something like BES/Good to secure email and other business apps.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-04-17 04:08 PM
    Mmmmhhhh, so what about 3rd party browsers like Brave.com ?
    Hushmail and Protonmail? Third party email clients and encrypted messengers like Signal? Other maps apps...

I believe there is still a way of making it halfway secure and reasonably private using third party services... any input?

:-)

•   THISone, with the keys, hopefully coming soon to a phone store down unda... :-D   •
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-04-17 04:19 PM
    Mmmmhhhh, so what about 3rd party browsers like Brave.com ?
    Hushmail and Protonmail? Third party email clients and encrypted messengers like Signal? Other maps apps...

I believe there is still a way of making it halfway secure and reasonably private using third party services... any input?

:-)

•   THISone, with the keys, hopefully coming soon to a phone store down unda... :-D   •
    Actually no, what good are these when the OS supplier has a magnifying glass directly into your local storage on the phone? If you have control over the operating system you have the control over everything.
    03-04-17 06:06 PM
    I have said this a thousand times that anytime you access the grid, you sacrifice some of your privacy and unfortunately that's the price we pay for technology.

I always tell folks to have a good password and stay away from websites your not familiar with. As far as companies mining your data, welcome to the 21st century. Life is way to short to worry about it.
    But one could make an educated and conscious decision to not have Google be a part of one's experience. Even BlackBerry Android devices have the Google data tentacles deeply entrenched.

Kind of a 'pick your poison' way of looking at it.
    Which is why I don't use Android unless it's one of my rooted and "sanitized from all things Google" tablets.
    03-04-17 06:14 PM
    Yes, it IS possible to restrict and pause many of the data collecting features in the settings. Whether you believe it is actually doing anything or not is another matter...but the options DO exist. As for privacy, Google claims the info associated with your account is private and only visible and/or controlled by you. Again, up to you whether you want to trust them or not. As for Google Play Services, even that can be disabled. I suppose you could regress back to Jellybean versions of all your apps just like on BB10 if you really wanted to...but the who heck wants that? Just stay on BB10 then LOL...
    03-04-17 06:47 PM
    As much as I think BlackBerry way overplays the privacy and security card, it does matter at the end of the day.
    You are 100% correct!
    03-04-17 07:40 PM
    You can go to myactivity.google.com and start from there. Look at what data Google has been collecting about you and you can decide how to tweak your privacy settings.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-17 03:32 AM

I'm sorry, did you just start a thread asking what this can see?
    dbq10, jope28, xandros9 and 1 others like this.
    03-05-17 08:22 AM
    King Google runs his kingdom on the basis of equality - your Blackberry android device supplies as much data to him as the cheapest no-name off the shelf device you can find.
    jope28 likes this.
    03-05-17 08:29 AM
    You can go to myactivity.google.com and start from there. Look at what data Google has been collecting about you and you can decide how to tweak your privacy settings.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the link. I didn't even know this was a thing!

That said, it says "no activity" for me, which is odd considering I have use at least some Google services while logged in.

Either they are lying, or I've done something at some point to limit their reach and forgot about it.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-17 08:46 AM
    I am pretty sure most of you dont understand what is behind google services. Sure there is some data tracking like analytics and such but its not like it spies on everything you do.

Google services are there to help apps operate to their fullest. Its an easy set of APIs that all apps can tap into so they arent having to code extra repetitive features into their apps. Need GPS/cell location? Its already done for you and your app just requests it from play services since it has it already. This way 15 apps arent making their own requests and reducing your battery to nothing.

It makes an easy way for apps/games to store data on your google drive, connect to facebook/twitter and integrate other apps like fitness tracking with a food logger.

If you dont use chrome on android or google for your search then google doesn't magically have your web history and browsing habits.

All of this makes Android better for the consumer and the developers. Sure there is some data that google obtains but its not a massive amount that people think. The apps themselves tell you what data they have access to and THAT is what really matters. If the flashlight app wants access to your contacts and "accounts" its probably not something you want to download. But if a game wants access to you "contacts" its probably in good faith so you can "share" your games scores or connect to them.

And also as some pointed out you can easily control some of your privacy settings on the google site to limit what they see. And as always, all this data is used anonymously with no names connected.
    03-05-17 09:32 AM
    The myactivity page is just a way to know some of the things google y collecting, but is king of useless anyway.

If you go to the adds settings, the options are pretty basic. You can choose two options, but either way the adds are coming to you. In one case they are "personalized", and in the other way they more ramdom.
    03-05-17 10:01 AM
    Handset privacy aside, even if we assume the all knowing Googleverse is populated only by "Saints of Privacy Respect", how secure is Google, Inc itself? Wouldn't that universe of accumulated personal data pose irresistibly sweet temptation to ANY self respecting hacker?? Can Google, Inc defend itself from Putin, Inc? Lol.
    03-05-17 10:12 AM
    You answered your own question. Most enterprise MDM suites don't care about the pimple on the arse of the mobile market that is BB10.
    03-05-17 10:49 AM

I refuse to buy into the mentality that the price of living in a connected world is allowing companies to mine your data.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    jope28 likes this.
    03-05-17 11:25 AM
    People have an inflated perception of their own importance. For most of us the only information anyone cares about us is to sell us stuff.

What cracks me up about this site is how everyone complains they can't get access to google services, then when blackberry gives complete access people complain about privacy.
    03-05-17 11:31 AM
    You answered your own question. Most enterprise MDM suites don't care about the pimple on the arse of the mobile market that is BB10.
    With that first sentence I meant the amount of "popular apps" beside enterprise apps - which also seems to be a bigger deal than ever before.

Some companies just use their devices to exchange data or for pure communications.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-17 12:07 PM
80 123 ...