I plan on getting a lg optimus g in sprint with unlimited data but i still want to use my bb for bbm chatting. i will get the 2gb mobile hotspot for my lg optimus g, i was wondering if this will be enough to use for my bbm texts if i have wifi at home and at work... i would be using bbm alot, but nothing else. please help
    02-10-13 08:13 PM
    Welcome to the CB community, Laura. I hate to be the one who says it, but BBM doesn't work on WiFi for legacy devices.
    02-10-13 08:20 PM
    If you don't keep your BB data plan, you won't be able to use BBM.
    02-10-13 08:21 PM
    And to answer your question more directly... It uses as much data as you make it use. If you send 5 msgs is different than 5000.
    02-10-13 09:08 PM
    i thought bbm worked on wifi
    02-10-13 09:10 PM
    How easy is it do "activate" a device for use on the Sprint network? I'm asking about the CDMA equivalent of SIM swapping.

If it's pretty easy, then Laura, you might want to consider getting an unlimited BB data plan (also known as a BIS plan.) This data plan should work on both your BB and LG phones. However, if you get a generic data plan, it won't work on the BB. In any case though, you won't be able to BBM just on WiFi.

Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about when I say "activate" and can chime in.

i thought bbm worked on wifi
    It does (on pre-BB10 devices), as long as you have an active BIS plan on your account.
    02-10-13 09:12 PM
    Welcome to the CB community, Laura. I hate to be the one who says it, but BBM doesn't work on WiFi for legacy devices.
    huh, I use bbm through wifi on my bold 9900.
    02-10-13 09:28 PM
    i dont get it wont i have to pay for an extra phone though? i just want to use bbm
    02-10-13 09:40 PM
    huh, I use bbm through wifi on my bold 9900.
    As a stand alone device with no sim?
    ive used by bold 9900 on wifi before as well.
    yeah. ive used it on other countries where i dont have data coverage.
    02-10-13 09:42 PM
    Of course you did, and I bet you had a BIS data plan too. BBM will work on wifi as long as you have a BIS data plan. I know this as a fact. So a pre BB10 device with out a sim will work on wifi, but bbm and e-mail will not, as they require a sim with BIS data plan.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    02-10-13 09:57 PM
    They have BBM plans that don't require bis plans anymore. Talk to u r carrier

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-10-13 10:05 PM
    yeah. ive used it on other countries where i dont have data coverage.
    You must have had a BIS plan on your account though. As long as a BIS plan is tied to your line and your phone is active in their system, BBM works. Once the BIS plan goes away or you switch devices, BBM doesn't work.

Basically, if you want to BBM, you're going to have to switch your phones in Sprint's system. Most likely through this link. That's why I'm saying if you keep a BIS plan, you'll save yourself half the trouble of having to switch data plans too. A BIS plan should work as a generic data plan, but not vice versa.
    02-10-13 10:07 PM
    BBM works over WiFi. Actually, as long as you have BIS Plan, and if switch-off "Mobile Network" on the device you will be able to do everything on the phone, but not calls and texts.

Yes, it is different you have exchanged 5 or 5000 messgaes, but BBM uses so little data, that this shouldn't be a concern I think
    02-10-13 10:12 PM
    Where did you all get this info that BIS is needed for BBM? That is simply not true. The fact that BB10 does not need BIS is the reason for all that lost service revenue talk among other things. BBM in BB10 works without BIS.

And, as for the actual data question - it uses very little. If there aren't many profile picture updates I'd be surprised if you reach just one megabyte - yes one megabyte, not gigabyte monthly. That'd be worth about few thousand "texts".

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    Laura Orozco likes this.
    02-10-13 10:27 PM
    She doesnt have a BB10 device. She wants to go without a contact on her legacy BB and still use BBM. Its not possible, stop confusing her, guys!
    02-10-13 10:32 PM