Again, the point is that Canadians support "their own" less than Americans, in my experience. It's not a question of whether or not Canadians should buy Canadian or the best product for their needs. It's our attitude towards Canadian success stories. Read the Anka quote again:

- "As a 16-year-old sensation, topping the charts down south, he got booed off the stage at what was supposed to be his triumphant Ottawa return."

- "Through the years, record critics here always seemed harsher, the press less complimentary, the audiences standoffish"

- "I was travelling all over the world as a Canadian, being accepted as an artist, and I'd come home and it would be so radically different. I didn't understand it."

In the Paul Anka example, this was one of the most stark contrasts for me when I lived in the US. A US musician came home and it was a big to-do, with lots of support for that musician all around. In Canada when I moved back, a Canadian musician came home and was ignored, ridiculed and sneered at. Internationally, they had about the same reputation. One city came out in droves. The other sneered till their heart's content.

I wish it wasn't the case, but I've seen it again and again and again. Americans cheer for their success. Canadians jeer at theirs. Not always, but often.
    01-18-13 11:37 AM
    As I said, try driving around Detroit with a Honda and see what happens. Then try walking around Waterloo with an iPhone and see what happens.

In Detroit, you'll get your car keyed, glared at etc.

In Waterloo, the people with iPhones sneer and jeer at RIM louder than any American I've seen. It goes beyond "choosing what's right for you". Canadians have a nasty tendency to kick at their own 'success stories'.
    Yes, because destroying people's property is clearly the better way to behave. I'm the first to say I don't want RIM to fold because it is a Canadian company and I have a soft spot for it, but to expect people to use it because it's Canadian is silly. Maybe, just maybe, Justin Beiber uses an iPhone because he likes it. Not to stick it to the Canadian company. That's my point. Do you know how many clients I've had over the last couple of years that come in with their BB and are switching platforms that say "I wanted to stick with them because they are Canadian but this is my 3rd replacement phone because the track pad stopped working and I can't take it anymore/I want to be able to do *insert thing here*/I can't wait any longer for a phone that can compete"? Canadians have been pretty forgiving of RIM until recently.

Paul Anka, on the other hand, has always been a whiner. He's from around here too. He's not exactly known as being well behaved to people in public (a friend of mine was his server at a restaurant in Ottawa and he started with " do you know who I am?"). I don't feel particularly sorry for Paul Anka. And that's the most I've thought about Paul Anka in decades.

PHONE: Galaxy S3 Garnet Red
    ROM: AOKP Jellybean 4.2.1
    01-18-13 11:46 AM
    but to expect people to use it because it's Canadian is silly.
    Except this isn't what I said ....

Kindly stop implying this ...

Canadians have been pretty forgiving of RIM until recently.
    Some. And often not ...
    01-18-13 11:59 AM
    Can we agree that using JB for promotion would be a good thing?

I didn't want to do this but oh well. I Googled "What phone does JB use" and this is what popped up.
    What Kind of Phone Does Justin Bieber Have?
    I'll just tell you so you don't have to read it. He has a BB Curve and an iPhone, apparently with his own app.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    01-18-13 12:11 PM
    Realistically, how much would it cost to put this kid in a bb10 commercial? I think it would be worthwhile as it would help remove the "uncool" perception of bb, especially with the younger crowd. Anyone have any dollar figures of him in other commercials?
    This alone would cause me to never buy a BB again.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    01-18-13 12:28 PM
    This alone would cause me to never buy a BB again.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    Is this because you care more about what other people might think of you (for using the same phone as a particular celeb), rather than what you yourself might prefer? What a shame.
    01-18-13 12:42 PM
    As much as I hate his music the guy is a talented musician...SO WHY AUTOTUNE THE CRAP OUT OF IT.
    Talented and musician.....Hmmmm not really the words I would describe him, let alone in the same sentence.
    01-18-13 03:56 PM
    Talented and musician.....Hmmmm not really the words I would describe him, let alone in the same sentence.
    He really is a talented kid, who is making mad bank playing crappy, lowest-common-denominator pop music.

Same with Lady Gaga--look up some of her "before she was famous" acoustic videos. Don't make the mistake of thinking that pop stars like this aren't talented just because they've gotten rich making unremarkable Top-40 music.
    TomJasper likes this.
    01-18-13 07:11 PM
    I'm sorry.

When I heard Chad Kroeger and Avril Lavigne were getting married and he was producing her album I thought "finally we will hear the worst album EVER RECORDED". It's the perfect storm of suck.
    That union is called a "same sucks marriage".

#nobiebsforBB10
    01-18-13 08:37 PM
    Lady Gaga? Goofy, yes, and I don't know that she commands a ton of respect.........
    I have to respectfully 100% disagree on that. The amount of money this woman has given to charities from here own pocket and through charities is staggering. That's just the tip of the iceberg as she has started her own charities also. Once you dig past the "goofy" you will see she is actually a very good role model to many of the younger generation. Flashback for ref.

!
    pmccartney likes this.
    01-19-13 05:28 PM
60 123