Nah... Bieber should pay RIM
    01-17-13 04:45 PM
    Bieber will be on his way out soon and is in the same class as Nickelback and Headley.

Bring on someone worth while.
    01-17-13 06:07 PM
    Bieber will be on his way out soon and is in the same class as Nickelback and Headley.

Bring on someone worth while.
    Hey! Some of us actually like Nickelback and Hedley!

I don't even dislike Bieber, though that's more out of respect than any actual appeal I find in his music.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-17-13 06:11 PM
    Hey! Some of us actually like Nickelback and Hedley!
    I'm sorry.

When I heard Chad Kroeger and Avril Lavigne were getting married and he was producing her album I thought "finally we will hear the worst album EVER RECORDED". It's the perfect storm of suck.

PHONE: Galaxy S3 Garnet Red
    ROM: AOKP Jellybean 4.2.1
    01-17-13 06:27 PM
    It's the perfect storm of suck.
    Close, but I think the winner of the perfect storm of suck distinction goes to Kim K and Kanye.

It's been several months ago now, but I actually had an idea for a concert-themed commercial for the younger crowd. A group of teens is walking into a concert venue and sees a busy booth inside. They go to the booth and ask what's going on there. The guy at the booth says that they have a QR code to scan for BlackBerry users only. Only one girl in the bunch has a BB, and she happily scans her phone while her friends look disappointingly at their nondescript phones. They walk in, take their seats, and the BB girl gits a pin message saying that she won backstage passes, to which she gloats to her group.

It could work, right?
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-17-13 07:07 PM
    I rather RIM not pay for a fake spokesperson. I rather them get someone that truly love their BB and stuck their side.

Not saying that The Biebs isn't a supporter....but just saying.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-17-13 07:22 PM
    Problem with Bieber is he says the wrong things sometimes. Plus he is having issues growing up. May end up being a mistake in the long run.
    01-17-13 07:26 PM
    I bet he will use one without paying him. He is a good Canadian and will support the product. Doesn't he already use a BB?
    01-17-13 07:29 PM
    I've thought before that Beyonce would be amazing for BB10! We already know that she uses BB and she is very respected.
    01-17-13 08:26 PM
    Most of Bieber's fans are too young to have a phone...
    False. My youngest daughter (13) is crazy about the kid. She and her friends have been using a BB (and other) for 2 years.
    01-17-13 08:46 PM
    He played the halftime show for the 100th Grey Cup.
    Good canadian boy!
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-17-13 08:52 PM
    He sure received a lot of fanfare for it too, lol. Almost as much as to what he wore when he met Harper. Looking like a slim shady.
    01-17-13 08:53 PM
    Its true there are a lot of bieber fans but there are also a lot of die hard haters
    01-18-13 06:43 AM
    Most of Bieber's fans are too young to have a phone...
    have you seen the age of some of these kids with phones, some are like 8 years old getting smartphones, its friggen crazy, and i was 17 when i got my first cellphone and 23when i got my first BB
    01-18-13 07:31 AM
    Ah, as much as I like Canadians I still cannot understand this Bieber phenomenon... Am I getting old
    You're probably not a 13 year old girl and not in his demographic
    01-18-13 07:33 AM
    I bet he will use one without paying him. He is a good Canadian and will support the product. Doesn't he already use a BB?
    No - he's been spotted with an iPhone, even though he comes from RIM country. Supports Canadian companies the way many Canadians do ... with a sneer.
    01-18-13 07:34 AM
    that's a great idea to have bieber as a bb10 celeb....

he does fit into their target market.... hyper-connected, get sh*t done, multi-task... (all successful people have these traits)
    01-18-13 07:44 AM
    No - he's been spotted with an iPhone, even though he comes from RIM country. Supports Canadian companies the way many Canadians do ... with a sneer.
    That's not really fair. He has the same right to use whatever smartphone he wants, just like the rest of us, regardless of his stomping ground proximity to RIM HQ. He may switch to a BB10 when he sees one. You never know. I suspect a lot of people will quickly buy a BB10 or switch back.
    I guess all those locals I frequently see, in the fairly new Conestoga Mall - Apple store, should be flogged for their decision too
    01-18-13 09:03 AM
    That's not really fair. He has the same right to use whatever smartphone he wants, just like the rest of us, regardless of his stomping ground proximity to RIM HQ.
    There is a difference between Canadians and Americans when it comes to 'supporting their own'. Try driving around Detroit with a Honda or Toyota and you'll see what I mean. ;-)

Some of the loudest sneers I've ever heard against BlackBerrys have been from Canadians in cities where RIM employs a lot of people (and Apple doesn't). But honestly, having lived in both countries, that's sadly often "the Canadian Way" and has been for a long time.

Like this old story about Paul Anka:
    http://www.macleans.ca/article.jsp?c..._108666_108666

"It has always been, therefore, something of a sore spot that the one place where Mr. Paul Anka didn't feel the love was back home in Canada. As a 16-year-old sensation, topping the charts down south, he got booed off the stage at what was supposed to be his triumphant Ottawa return. Through the years, record critics here always seemed harsher, the press less complimentary, the audiences standoffish. After one particularly scathing concert review, he just stopped coming back. A 20-some-year personal Cold War that, to add insult to injury, most Canadians didn't even know about. "When I get ticked off, I get ticked off," he says as we skim through the clouds. "As a young person, it made a huge impact on me because I was travelling all over the world as a Canadian, being accepted as an artist, and I'd come home and it would be so radically different. I didn't understand it."
    01-18-13 10:29 AM
    So he, along with me and others, are expected to use a cell phone that may not work best for what we require simply because it's Canadian?

Ooooookay.

Maybe people booed Paul Anka because his music sucked? Same reason I'd boo Nickelback, or Beiber. Who cares? I like Star Trek because it's good, not because Shatner and Doohan are Canadian. I'm a Hugh Dillon fan because the Headstones rock and he's a good actor, not because he is from a town close to me. The same goes for the Hip, Michael J Fox, Jim Carrey, and any other myriad of entertainers. I guess I have to like the Montreal Canadiens because of their name too?

I guess all the Americans using BBs should be flogged for not supporting an American smartphone.

Blind nationalism doesn't mean we are required to only support Canadian made things. I mean, I want RIM to succeed as a company because they are Canadian but my 9900 was a frustrating experience. I didn't get the memo that I had to keep using it or I'd be a bad Canadian.

Last edited by reeneebob; 01-18-13 at 11:12 AM.
    01-18-13 11:00 AM
    So he, along with me, are well expected to use a cell phone that may not work best for what we require simply because it's Canadian?

Ooooookay.
    Congrats. You managed to completely miss the point ...
    01-18-13 11:08 AM
    There is a difference between Canadians and Americans when it comes to 'supporting their own'. Try driving around Detroit with a Honda or Toyota and you'll see what I mean. ;-)
    That comment you started with? That right there? Pretty clear what the insinuation is regardless of your intended point.

01-18-13 11:15 AM
    That comment you started with? That right there? Pretty clear what the insinuation is regardless of your intended point.
    As I said, try driving around Detroit with a Honda and see what happens. Then try walking around Waterloo with an iPhone and see what happens.

In Detroit, you'll get your car keyed, glared at etc.

In Waterloo, the people with iPhones sneer and jeer at RIM louder than any American I've seen. It goes beyond "choosing what's right for you". Canadians have a nasty tendency to kick at their own 'success stories'.
    01-18-13 11:18 AM
    Maybe people booed Paul Anka because his music sucked?
    Did you read the quote? "As a 16-year-old sensation, topping the charts down south, he got booed off the stage at what was supposed to be his triumphant Ottawa return."

It's the same fricken thing as when Crosby scored the winning Olympic goal. next day I was at the gym, the office and the mall. Every place, Canadians weren't celebrating his victory. They were sneering about him.

I want RIM to succeed as a company because they are Canadian but my 9900 was a frustrating experience. I didn't get the memo that I had to keep using it or I'd be a bad Canadian.
    You keep missing the point ...
    01-18-13 11:22 AM

Some of the loudest sneers I've ever heard against BlackBerrys have been from Canadians in cities where RIM employs a lot of people (and Apple doesn't). But honestly, having lived in both countries, that's sadly often "the Canadian Way" and has been for a long time.

Like this old story about Paul Anka:
    Anka's back, baby! | Macleans.ca - Canada - Features

"It has always been, therefore, something of a sore spot that the one place where Mr. Paul Anka didn't feel the love was back home in Canada. As a 16-year-old sensation, topping the charts down south, he got booed off the stage at what was supposed to be his triumphant Ottawa return. Through the years, record critics here always seemed harsher, the press less complimentary, the audiences standoffish. After one particularly scathing concert review, he just stopped coming back. A 20-some-year personal Cold War that, to add insult to injury, most Canadians didn't even know about. "When I get ticked off, I get ticked off," he says as we skim through the clouds. "As a young person, it made a huge impact on me because I was travelling all over the world as a Canadian, being accepted as an artist, and I'd come home and it would be so radically different. I didn't understand it."
    I know about the cars in Detroit analogy. I wrote something on CrackBerry to that effect a little while ago. Detroit doesn't represent all of the USA just like Waterloo doesn't represent all of Canada. We do tend to support local industry but outside of our regional municipalities (US or Canada) it's a different story.

Paul Anka...that's going back a ways. Tonight Show theme song and so on.
    I wonder if it ever occured to Mr Anka that perhaps Canadians just didn't think he was very good singer.
    01-18-13 11:24 AM
60 123