. . .and to be selling like wildfire everywhere EXCEPT in the USA. . .
    RIM's profit has been falling steadily recently. If the problem is simply poor sales in the U.S., then that simply supports the claim that the U.S. is disproportionately important to RIM's results, making the poor U.S. sales especially significant.
    11-17-11 11:41 PM
    rim makes dope phones

bbx is going to be mad good

we keeps it reals
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    11-18-11 12:26 AM
    RIM's profit has been falling steadily recently. If the problem is simply poor sales in the U.S., then that simply supports the claim that the U.S. is disproportionately important to RIM's results, making the poor U.S. sales especially significant.
    their sales were down because they hadn't released a new phone in like a year.....those numbers did not include the new phones. so we will see how they do next quarter. i think it will be huge.
    11-18-11 01:20 AM
    not trying to be a downer but having a vision and having the Ability and Skill to make that a reality are 2 different things.

11 months and the rim engineers are unable to produce on the playbook what others have had for a long time. don't give me the crap about how mich more difficult it is blah blah blah. in the eyes of the consumer, it's just ios has this and the pb doesnt.

i feel that rim is incompetent end of story. someone said something about rim outselling everywhere else in the world. where i am, apple is number 1. in my neighbouring countries, apple is number 1 too. a bit further off, lower end blackberry models are popular because apple prices these consumers out.

sure, sales are on the rise, but are they growing as quickly as the smartphone market? the answer is a resounding no. which equates to lower market share year after year. right now, it's android and apple. when mango dives into the market full at full force, good luck.
    11-18-11 03:36 AM
    My kids participate in the new communications technology more than I. They use their phones constantly and it seems like it is excessive to me but they are into their portable communicators. My daughter cannot live without a keyboard and uses the screen of her phone for reading text messages more than anything else. My son however uses his android smart phone for everything that can be done on it. He tells me he is getting bored with the Android phone and the ipad2. He has been looking into the new microsoft os for smart phones and he likes this Playbook. For one the tried and true keyboard is her only requirement, the other is on an endless quest to try something new. I think RIM has a product for her and one that is coming for him. Alot of people are led by curiousity so hopefully RIM can tap into this market too with the launch of their new phones.
    Occasionally there is a BB commercial on the tv, they have some good ones. They need to get their products right and do proper buildup before release. Another half baked dud product will really hurt. I hope there is alot of excitement in Waterloo.I hope they get it right. Go RIM!
    11-18-11 07:21 AM
    Surprisingly optimistic. They're excited for things yet to come, even though a lot of consumers are starting to lose hope. I know I'm one of those people getting a bit frustrated.
    11-18-11 08:09 AM
    Going to simplify...original post was too long.

There is some great services already available to Blackberry users, and from leaks and announcements, some key players joining the Blackberry team (BBX, a new design and almost direction with hardware, and still unknown services to the public, hopefully).

There is no one employee that should feel they are the cause of the downfall of the company, it's much higher then them. Lack of execution, and misses on numerous products. Not an outage over several days, or a product that they worked on. Simply put accountability at a higher level.

0:58 seconds left, puck is now in RIM's end, we are in a timeout with BB OS7 products. Fans are anxious for the drop puck with RIM down by one. Anyone who has watched hockey knows where I am going with this...

Time is now to execute, get the puck into the other net so RIM can pull their goalie and get that extra attacker on the ice and score. Just remember, one goal isn't going to win the game, so need to press on, and a loss is out of the cards.
    Last edited by MrFuts; 11-18-11 at 08:27 AM.
    00stryder likes this.
    11-18-11 08:11 AM
    No offense but I think you are better to stick with analyzing hockey than RIM. I see a change in Rim, shifting to putting their ear to the ground (so to speak) and hearing what the people want. I think they can and will deliver a product that most people are going to be really happy with. I can wait as I am more than happy with my 9850 for now.
    There will always be people (especially here on Crackberry) who will find something to complain about. I don't care if the new BBX phones can give you the ability to fly- someone here will complain that RIM should have figured out how to fly without leaving the ground.
    Good luck RIM and I am patiently waiting to see what you have in store for us in the near future!
    TrespassersW, PTZ and Jake Storm like this.
    11-18-11 09:08 AM
    I used to work at IBM Canada and I approve this statement...
    Former IBMer here and I too approve this statement.
    11-18-11 09:37 AM
    My sense is there's a fair amount of despondency to be honest.

Then again my friends don't work in R&D and RIM has become pretty good at tightening up info. Share knowledge and you will be fired. A few Java developers laid off, but that's hardly a surprise given the fact RIM is effectively dropping Java.

Having said that people are excited about the new stuff.

A fair section of the US media is virtually part of Apples PR department. If you trace back ownership of blogs like BGR, Forbes, WSJ etc you'll find pretty close connections with Apple. It's little wonder than most US media is negative toward RIM. Apple doesn't leave things like reviews to chance (a lesson RIM needs to learn).

The point is that you have to check the numbers before believing the negative PR. A lot of people have lost a money because of the success of the negative media campaign against RIM. And yet for the past decade RIM sales have increased every quarter except for the two when they had no new product. RIM's market share is still only marginally behind Apples.

The smartphone market is controlled by the carriers and will be for the forseeable future. We buy what the carriers sell us. My guess is that if RIM can deliver on BBX they'll become the darlings of the carriers once again and the game will change.
    11-18-11 10:03 AM
    My sense is there's a fair amount of despondency to be honest.

Then again my friends don't work in R&D and RIM has become pretty good at tightening up info. Share knowledge and you will be fired. A few Java developers laid off, but that's hardly a surprise given the fact RIM is effectively dropping Java.

Having said that people are excited about the new stuff.

A fair section of the US media is virtually part of Apples PR department. If you trace back ownership of blogs like BGR, Forbes, WSJ etc you'll find pretty close connections with Apple. It's little wonder than most US media is negative toward RIM. Apple doesn't leave things like reviews to chance (a lesson RIM needs to learn).

The point is that you have to check the numbers before believing the negative PR. A lot of people have lost a money because of the success of the negative media campaign against RIM. And yet for the past decade RIM sales have increased every quarter except for the two when they had no new product. RIM's market share is still only marginally behind Apples.

The smartphone market is controlled by the carriers and will be for the forseeable future. We buy what the carriers sell us. My guess is that if RIM can deliver on BBX they'll become the darlings of the carriers once again and the game will change.
    i am glad to heard someone else said the thing that was on my mind for many weeks...i fell like the reporters and ppl that use apple stuff try to show them a lot on camera o purpose...maybe is a new way of doing publicity...idk
    11-18-11 04:06 PM
    Three letters. TAT.
    11-18-11 06:07 PM
    I agree with BlackStormRising.

I think Blackberry already has all the core functionality. Adding in a 8 MP camera, switching up the processors to dual or even quad shouldn't be a difficult task for RIM. What the average customers are really complaining about is mostly because the UI is boring. Due to that fact, you start to see customers leaving to other platforms to satisfy their desire. The developers caught on to this issue and they too started abandoning BB. What we have now is a downward spiral...

...fortunately I do believe it can be reversed through improving the UI by making it flashy while maintaining the functional aspects of it. I really hope the TAT team came up with something unique to the UI that is compelling enough to bring back the customers because I am positive they have the skills and competency to achieve that goal.
    11-18-11 07:21 PM
    They've developed a new OS from the ground up, to run on phones and tablets. They're working out the bugs. New software/apps will be needed to run on the new OS so that it's usable by the masses for things that the masses like to do when it's released. If there's no software when the new OS is released, people will complain (or continue to complain). This takes time. Developers now have some of the tools that they need to make it happen.

They know that this has to be right. It has to be Blackberry (i.e. good for businesses), but ideally it will also appeal to the consumer market. Porsche didn't build the Cayenne because it makes sense to have a performance SUV. They built it because people love SUVs = huge potential revenue source = money to fund stuff that actually matters to Porsche. While enterprise appropriateness is what makes a Blackberry a Blackberry, consumer-level sales will generate revenue for continued R&D. 'The masses' started to really accept Android devices when they started to work as well as an iPhone. The current 'sexy' is large-screen, touch-input smartphones. RIM knows this, and the recent 'leaked' photo of one of their upcoming BBX phones shows this. That's how they'll get attention back from 'regular' people.

Despite all that we have read here and elsewhere, RIM is not stupid, and not disconnected from reality. They know that they need to hit this one square-on and, to be honest, I think they'll do it. It's no secret that I think Android devices are currently the most versatile devices available. I also think that, once the new BB phones and BBOS are released, people will see how good a job RIM has done. They will win back some who they've alienated, and will win over some from other platforms. My only question is how many. I don't think that people will be lining up for RIM products as they do for Apple products, but I think that RIM's market share will slowly start to climb, again.

I, for one, am really hoping to be won over by the next generation of Blackberry phones, and I'm very excited about it. I think they'll be the 'game-changers' that the WebOS-based devices were meant to be, but will have the legs that the WebOS devices did not.

I'm not an RIM 'fan-boy,' but I welcome competition and really want to see a great company succeed. We need more than Android and iOS (...and windows).
    andre20100, 00stryder and kbz1960 like this.
    11-18-11 09:04 PM
    If you look to media response to gauge smartphone validity or features,etc., go to a Bookstore and count the iPhone & Android magazines and books. Then try to find one that even acknowledges BlackBerry... it is no wonder to me why the Media regards BlackBerry as a non-player. For them, it is simply a matter of adverti$ing revenue, and BB simply is not a player in that game. I think part of the issue is a large part of the smartphone buyers are young, their needs are not "critical" as far as features go, and they are more easily swayed by whatever appears trendy and cool and what their peers are using...and the media is there to promote Apple and Android - they dance with the fella who brung 'em. Don't expect an unbiased view here.
    11-20-11 08:14 AM
    Android has a lot of share because on every carrier you can get a free android, not the best mind you. How many people go to get or renew their phone will take a free phone over one they have to pay for? Most people don't care as long it does what they want and it's free.
    11-20-11 08:56 AM
    I think it is the constant negative articles in tech websites/blogs (all of which come from the USA) that continue to hurt the brand. I mean I read a CNET "ask maggie" (not sure if that's the right name, will post a link later" and she went on to say she doesn't like Blackberries, but when the guy said he does a lot of email she still was negative. And what is worse is she admits she doesn't write long emails from her iPhone because of the on screen keyboard is only good for sending short messages!!!

I hope the men and women who are RIM don't let it get to them! And I do hope that they see more growth in the US. As everywhere else they seem to be doing ok.

I'm sticking with RIM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

I was agreeing with your article up to the point where you said all the negative media was coming from the U.S. That is very far from the truth. The Globe and Mail and very popular canadian news website has various negative articles about RIM. The National Post. These are papers in Canada itself.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-20-11 12:40 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD