Just a thought, how many of you out there are willing to pay for BIS service if it is optional? Let's take a survey.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 11:06 AM
    I have said more that once that I would be willing to pay a "reasonable" ($5/mo) charge.
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    12-30-13 11:16 AM
    No thanks, done with BIS as it was known.
    12-30-13 11:19 AM
    For what?

What's the point?

Slower internet browser?
    12-30-13 11:23 AM
    For a long time ppl complained about BIS and inability to setup email if they don't have a data. Don't see a reason for BIS any longer. I'd pay nothing at all.
    12-30-13 11:23 AM
    Paying extra for BIS?? Wow, that is funny. Carriers should include it at no cost to their customers, but hey, they won't.

Just a thought, though... maybe the carriers won't push BlackBerry because they aren't making money off BIS anymore...
    12-30-13 11:28 AM
    Paying extra for BIS?? Wow, that is funny. Carriers should include it at no cost to their customers, but hey, they won't.

Just a thought, though... maybe the carriers won't push BlackBerry because they aren't making money off BIS anymore...
    Carrier will not included for free: bis perform compression , less data usage for carrier. Less income for carrier that sell data for living. That is why you see bb 7 phone in some place only 5 to 10 per month. You cannot get that with any non compression based platform. Either DROID or ios, not even bb10.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 11:59 AM

Tell me how they made money off BIS ever since they had to pay BlackBerry $5 per month per BIS account? They stopped pushing BlackBerry because of BIS and it eating into their bottom line. By the time BB10 came out you now have a few years of store employees that have learned to steer customers away from BlackBerry and a corporate user base who hate their work issued BBOS device.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-30-13 12:26 PM
    Carrier will not included for free: bis perform compression , less data usage for carrier. Less income for carrier that sell data for living. That is why you see bb 7 phone in some place only 5 to 10 per month. You cannot get that with any non compression based platform. Either DROID or ios, not even bb10.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe in your country.

In the US, the carriers make their money off their monthly phone plans that people sign on contracts.

When I first purchased a BlackBerry in 2005, the T-Mobile data plan was optional, but it was the same price as a generic plan that someone on a Microsoft Pocket PC phone or a Palm or Sony smartphone would use at that time.

When the user base for smartphones started growing, carriers suddenly decided to charge more for BIS, but I was paying the same amount ($19.99) for unlimited BIS since 2005.
    12-30-13 12:34 PM
    BIS is/was only good in emerging markets with limited data plans or people roaming and of course, service revenues for BlackBerry. You can argue that it was the greatest thing for BlackBerry but at the same time, you can also argue that it was a huge hinderance on BlackBerry due to the limitations it created within the system.
    12-30-13 12:38 PM
    Tell me how they made money off BIS ever since they had to pay BlackBerry $5 per month per BIS account? They stopped pushing BlackBerry because of BIS and it eating into their bottom line. By the time BB10 came out you now have a few years of store employees that have learned to steer customers away from BlackBerry and a corporate user base who hate their work issued BBOS device.

Posted via CB10
    They did not lose any money by offering BIS for the same rate as a generic plan.

They did however make more money when they charged newer users higher fees for having a BIS plan.
    stlabrat likes this.
    12-30-13 12:40 PM
    I was under the impression BlackBerry was offer special local carrier pricing plans in developing countries to mitigate the transition from BIS?

BIS is a thing of the past thank goodness!

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    12-30-13 12:43 PM
    Maybe in your country.

In the US, the carriers make their money off their monthly phone plans that people sign on contracts.

When I first purchased a BlackBerry in 2005, the T-Mobile data plan was optional, but it was the same price as a generic plan that someone on a Microsoft Pocket PC phone or a Palm or Sony smartphone would use at that time.

When the user base for smartphones started growing, carriers suddenly decided to charge more for BIS, but I was paying the same amount ($19.99) for unlimited BIS since 2005.
    My BB10 plan is the same plan that I had with my 9900 through T-Mobile. Would be the same plan if I had switched to iPhone or Android device. Now they don't have to pay BlackBerry anything for me to use my phone, where they had to pay them for my 9900 use. Why would carriers rolling out 4G networks, or even 3G push BIS when they can push other devices, pay nothing to BlackBerry and get quicker ROI on the network investment?

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 12:44 PM
    I think it would be counter-productive to be honest for BlackBerry and the Consumer. No I would not want to go back.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 12:51 PM
    My BB10 plan is the same plan that I had with my 9900 through T-Mobile. Would be the same plan if I had switched to iPhone or Android device. Now they don't have to pay BlackBerry anything for me to use my phone, where they had to pay them for my 9900 use. Why would carriers rolling out 4G networks, or even 3G push BIS when they can push other devices, pay nothing to BlackBerry and get quicker ROI on the network investment?

Posted via CB10
    It was the same cost for me to have BIS or a generic plan for 7 years. The carriers raised their data plans to make more money for their improvements to their systems, not to pay BlackBerry.

There were all sorts of schemes, such as free phones, buy one get one free deals, but the main goal for carriers was to move people off their grandfathered plans, and into a higher monthly contract, which is all pure profit for the carrier.
    12-30-13 12:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    Was your BIS plan $19.99 for unlimited data?
    12-30-13 12:54 PM
    I would just like it if Rogers gave us a fair deal on data for bb10 devices. BlackBerry 10 devices only get 0.5 - 1.0 GBs per month for the same price as iphones and Android phones get for 6.0 GBs.. what a rip off!

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 12:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    I paid no more for BIS than any other data plan. No I will not pay extra to get no benefit other than being slow.
    12-30-13 12:59 PM
    Was your BIS plan $19.99 for unlimited data?
    I paid $20 for unlimited data. I still pay $20 for unlimited data.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 12:59 PM
    I would just like it if Rogers gave us a fair deal on data for bb10 devices. BlackBerry 10 devices only get 0.5 - 1.0 GBs per month for the same price as iphones and Android phones get for 6.0 GBs.. what a rip off!

Posted via CB10
    Now that is a rip off. Should be the same all around.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-30-13 01:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    Where do you see that? For me in Manitoba it shows plan pricing for all phones, unless I'm missing something in the fine print.
    12-30-13 01:07 PM
    I paid $20 for unlimited data. I still pay $20 for unlimited data.

Posted via CB10
    Wow... you are one of the hold-outs like I was! But I do know that during the past 7 years, T-Mobile was charging $25, $30, and even $40 for data plans, at one point to move to upgraded phones. All pure profit as I said, because we both know our unlimited data was only $20 per month!
    12-30-13 01:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    Uhhh, no. Data is data on Rogers, there is no price or offering differences unless you're on some insanely old or specialized plan. I've had the Rogers 6GB/$30 BlackBerry plan for nearly five years now and it works on EVERY device no matter which OS.
    12-30-13 01:41 PM
    BIS is/was only good in emerging markets with limited data plans or people roaming and of course, service revenues for BlackBerry. You can argue that it was the greatest thing for BlackBerry but at the same time, you can also argue that it was a huge hinderance on BlackBerry due to the limitations it created within the system.
    Still, I'd take it back in a heartbeat.
    12-30-13 01:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    You need to call Rogers Customer Care and complain. Chances are, they will change your plan.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 01:51 PM
56 123