What does "cash poor" mean? People on food stamps have iPhones these days.
    because of contract discounts yes,

but the Pay as you go market or prepaid market does not have a lot of iPhones in it unless they are 2-3 generations back.

Carriers SELL curves into the Pay As you go market and attract data usage with FREE BBM service to give the addition to data.
    03-02-12 09:07 PM
    because of contract discounts yes,

but the Pay as you go market or prepaid market does not have a lot of iPhones in it unless they are 2-3 generations back.

Carriers SELL curves into the Pay As you go market and attract data usage with FREE BBM service to give the addition to data.
    Is the "tools not toys" company really trying to capture the discount pay-go market?
    03-02-12 09:32 PM
    Is the "tools not toys" company really trying to capture the discount pay-go market?
    you don't spend your advertising dollars on your low margin products, but YES they need to capture and maintain that market, why lose a market you can control, and a market that is huge globally where contracts are not the norm?

you don't see Gillette marketing their 2 Blade disposable razors but they sell them by the 10's of thousands.
    spike12 likes this.
    03-02-12 09:37 PM
    I want to say three as well,Bold/Torch/Storm but it does make sense in its own way to have a curve model as well. but what ever RIM decides to do they cant have 10-15 models like they do now. its just to much choice. especially if they want the devs back like they are saying they need to make the phones as uniform as possible.
    03-03-12 04:18 AM
    you don't see Gillette marketing their 2 Blade disposable razors but they sell them by the 10's of thousands.
    once again you hit the nail straight on the head. with that being said i think their "Be Bold" advertiseing is only focusing on the Bold style phones when the market clearly wants a more 'torch-touch' type phone. maybe that is why even after all the commercials and PB OS 2.0 the stock is still at 13...
    03-03-12 04:23 AM
    once again you hit the nail straight on the head. with that being said i think their "Be Bold" advertiseing is only focusing on the Bold style phones when the market clearly wants a more 'torch-touch' type phone. maybe that is why even after all the commercials and PB OS 2.0 the stock is still at 13...

RIM still can't compete with the 9850/60 against the Android All touchscreen devices, it is a me too product not a We are better product.

The Bold is the BEST portrait qwerty device on the market, and it is well made, and well liked by those with it, so it makes sense to push it to promote the best of what a traditional BlackBerry is.

in reality they need to new brand name for the All touch, and that will come with BB10 I'm sure.
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-03-12 08:32 AM
    What I would like to see in the BB10 line up is:

- slider phone,
    - a souped up bold with a larger touch screen.
    - A touch screen clamshell, similar to the Style
    - And the full touch screen London.
    03-03-12 01:51 PM
    The answer's simple, I think.

Two devices max. Larger number of devices running the OS with bog down the OS itself, stretch out RIM's resources, possibly delay release and give even less incentive for businesses out there to support an app within bb10 ecosystem.
    03-03-12 06:51 PM
    The answer's simple, I think.

Two devices max. Larger number of devices running the OS with bog down the OS itself, stretch out RIM's resources, possibly delay release and give even less incentive for businesses out there to support an app within bb10 ecosystem.
    I don't agree. RIM cannot pull off an Apple with a one- or two-product lineup. I don't think anyone else can. And as I said earlier, variety shouldn't be the same kind of constraint with BB10 as it is with current and earlier BBOS's.
    03-03-12 07:35 PM
    Three models will be enough.

Bold, the 9900 form is perfect. I for one who values keyboard much more than the size of the screen. I really think RIM needs to keep this model. After all it is keyboard that defines RIM.

Torch, the combination of both larger screen and keyboard had excited me until I tried out the keyboard. This form has a huge potential but RIM has to do something with the keyboard. Once it is as good as the bold series I am definitely going to get one no matter any price!

Storm, this model is obvious needed to attract iphone and android users.
    03-03-12 10:22 PM
    love it when mods move threads to forums with no traffic.. There are way too many different forum topics here
    03-03-12 11:49 PM
    I have to agree with deRusset: the number of different form factors isn't really the problem. The real problem lies in the number of different chip sets. If RIM can unify the line with fewer chip sets (2 - 3 at the most) while keeping a variety of form factors (hopefully no more than 5 or 6 models), then they might solve a lot of their long standing problems. The modularity of QNX should be able to take care of the rest...
    03-18-12 05:19 AM
    I think they should have 4 a large and small touch screen and a large and small qwerty. so they have two high end phones and two low end phones.
    03-20-12 02:12 PM
    I think five would suffice.

Curve(entry level)
    Torch(slider)
    Bold(Midrange)
    Phoenix(All Touch)
    Phoenix Exec(Flagship All Touch)
    They only make one iPhone. All you need is one good successful product. Apple has proven it. And to think,it outsell all these combined..
    03-22-12 12:45 AM
    I have to agree with deRusset: the number of different form factors isn't really the problem. The real problem lies in the number of different chip sets. If RIM can unify the line with fewer chip sets (2 - 3 at the most) while keeping a variety of form factors (hopefully no more than 5 or 6 models), then they might solve a lot of their long standing problems. The modularity of QNX should be able to take care of the rest...
    Agree! But they definitly cannot move away from the Bold

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    03-22-12 01:40 AM
    I'd say only three models: full touch, slider, and bold style.

Then still offer BB7 devices for low/mid range. RIM *has* stated before that the launch of BB10 does NOT the termination of the current java based os.
    mithrazor likes this.
    03-22-12 03:17 AM
    I'd say only three models: full touch, slider, and bold style.

Then still offer BB7 devices for low/mid range. RIM *has* stated before that the launch of BB10 does NOT the termination of the current java based os.
    I second this.
    03-22-12 10:56 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD