I'm not saying that I myself can do it, but it's very doable minus the occasional double-pressing of the keys.

So you're probably wondering but why? Take for instance, the scene in The Departed where Matt Damon was firing off a message with his cellphone in his pocket. He was just standing there like everyone else, just being a part of the whole, and yet unknown to a lot of people he was fiddling with his phone to warn his partners about the situation they were in. When I first saw that, THAT, I thought.. Sweet!

Try it. So what you can accomplish by putting your BlackBerry behind your back without even looking at the screen. Do you find it interesting or shocking at some of the muscle memories you might have? Try it with QuickLaunch as well.

It's what I love about BlackBerries.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-10 06:25 AM
    I would think the trick would be to type without looking at the keyboard.

08-14-10 07:49 AM
    I can type without looking w/ minimal mistakes. BUT that's when I'm typing as I normally would. If my phone was in a different position like behind my back or upside down then I really doubt it. I'm sure I could pull off the pocket thing though. Does that qualify me to be a secret agent

08-14-10 09:43 AM
    I very very regularly type without looking at the keyboard/screen, I tuck my phone under a table to write notes as it looks like I'm not paying attention if I have my blackberry out to take notes in a meeting, or if I'm talking with friends at dinner and answering work emails, often I am long winded in my emails, as my posts here get long winded, so I will not remove my self from the conversation and look down at the BB while I type, just while I read the email.
    Then a quick proof read and away the emails go.

This a a Major reason I could never give up a touch screen phone
    08-14-10 03:15 PM
    I'm a little behind Blondie, I type about 50% of the time not looking - or looking just a little. There's lots of mistakes as well .
    And I can't believe it - De long winded? Ha

08-14-10 03:34 PM
    I'm trying ri rype withoit liikung at the sxreen.

I can't do it, my friends will have to just die quietly.

08-14-10 03:36 PM
    I could on my pearl, but not on my bold.

08-14-10 03:43 PM
    I'm a little behind Blondie, I type about 50% of the time not looking - or looking just a little. There's lots of mistakes as well .
    And I can't believe it - De long winded? Ha

Mike! Where have you been all my life?! I haven't talked to you in ages & I missssss you! Hope all is well with you & the wifey!

08-14-10 06:05 PM
    I was taking a break, but I'm back T.

08-14-10 08:41 PM
    I type without looking at my BlackBerry all the time. I've had lots of practice lol.
    08-14-10 10:36 PM
    I need to somewhat look at the keys in order to type something, like, stair at the centre of the keyboard to type but not look directly at it all the time. Sometimes not looking at it either.

08-15-10 12:48 AM
    ah piece of cake..just use vlingo..no need to look at the screen or the keyboard..
    08-15-10 01:01 AM
    I can do it most of the time, it helps to be able to just look at the keyboard and not the screen though. The only problem is if I hit multiple buttons at once, I know to backspace but I don't know how many of them have been pressed or not!

08-15-10 01:16 AM
    I can do it somewhat. Not without mistakes though.

08-15-10 02:02 AM
    Yea, much better with the 8330, the 8530's keyboard's **** compared. :\
    08-15-10 10:53 AM
    I find I'm better at this on the Curve style keys.
    08-15-10 11:01 AM
    I can do it with a fairly high rate of accuracy, couple mistakes here and there
    08-15-10 01:45 PM
    I can type about 50 %

08-15-10 01:48 PM
    I'm too prone to errors if I type without looking, so I don't generally do it.

My girlfriend is able to hammer out errorless messages without looking at the screen or keyboard, which always astounds me. I agree with Xpimp, though, and the fact that I have a 9700 while she has an 8520 probably makes some difference, as I find the Curve-style keyboard slightly easier to use.
    08-15-10 03:12 PM
    I'm too prone to errors if I type without looking, so I don't generally do it.

My girlfriend is able to hammer out errorless messages without looking at the screen or keyboard, which always astounds me. I agree with Xpimp, though, and the fact that I have a 9700 while she has an 8520 probably makes some difference, as I find the Curve-style keyboard slightly easier to use.
    I'm the reverse
    my errors are far less on my Tour 9630 then on my Curve 8330
    08-15-10 03:21 PM
    Easily done. Every BB I had I was able to do it (8330, 9000 and 9700). I can also do it on the iPhones virtual keyboard and on the Droid X. I was able to do it using the Droids physical keyboard as well.
    08-15-10 04:36 PM
    I usually don't look at the keyboard for the simple reason that I'm usually talking to friends at the same time.

But then again, I used to do that with an iphone too, so who knows XD
    But I must say that on the bb since there's an actual keyboard when I do make errors, they're a lot less drastic (maybe a wrong letter or something) whereas on the iphone the error would be autocorrected into a totally different word lol.
    08-15-10 04:55 PM
    I can do it, with a mistake here and there.

Love that QWERTY
    08-15-10 05:16 PM
    After spending too much time messaging I can officially say that I can type without looking, only making very few mistakes!!! Hmm....maybe it's time to stop talking to my friends all day?!
    08-16-10 08:43 AM
    I can type around 55-60wpm w/out looking at my keyboard and with minimal mistakes. I have to type around a lot of people without them knowing while I am working on the plant and different things. They don't to see me pecking away at my keyboard. My otterbox does hinder me a little but it has also kept my device from being ruined!!!
    08-16-10 08:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD