Hello all.

I was just interested in knowing how many antennas do most recent BlackBerry models have ? Do they have just the one for GSM, Wi-Fi, Blutooth and etc or do they have one for each protocol or connection type ? I would think that they would have multiple antennas.

Thanks in advance

Victor
    08-07-13 03:57 PM
    I would think so also, but I don't know.
    08-08-13 12:31 AM
    08-08-13 01:24 AM
    You can see them on the Z10. To the right of the camera you'll see some blocky shapes in the moulding, those are some of the antennas, then at the base of the device there are some more.

On older devices like the 9700 the cellular radio was at the bottom (again, visible as raised blocky areas), which was highlighted by Capt. Steve of the good ship Jobs during the IP4 antenna-gate debacle.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 02:46 AM
    Good job fellas thanks for all the replies. Apparently on a different forum I was told that most newer BlackBerry models should have multiple antennas too. One for GSM, Wi-Fi, BlueTooth, NFC and so on. However what I would like to ask is there just the one transceiver or IO Controller chip that handles all of these different types of communications or do these smart phones have multiple transceivers one for each type of communications ? Personally I believe that there should be just the one transceiver chip. It seems to me just plain common sense.

Thanks to all replies
    08-08-13 06:49 PM
    Didn't Blackberry buy an Antenna company last year that offered multi frequencies from one antenna?

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 08:57 PM
    I have BlackBerry for T-mobile and I can connect to both their LTE and HSPA +. So I would say quite a few radios depending on the model you get

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 09:06 PM
    Didn't Blackberry buy an Antenna company last year that offered multi frequencies from one antenna?

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the reply. I did find that the company RIM bought Paratek Microwave should help in improving call quality, reducing components that antennas require and improving battery efficiency. But I could not find anything that stated that the new company would reduce the number of antennas that are deployed in today's BlackBerry models. Good job in pointing out this acquisition out though.
    08-08-13 10:00 PM