Anyone have any rough idea? In my city, which has a population of 2 million, I've only seen one other guy with a BlackBerry device and I do go out a lot. Besides him, me and my girlfriend are active users. Seeing another person using a BlackBerry device these days is like seeing someone of your own race in a foreign country lol.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-16 04:37 AM
    Same. Only seen one guy with a Passport.

Posted from my Red Z10 OS 10.3.2.2474 Telstra
    03-23-16 04:55 AM
    i think less than 30 million from the last earnings report...we should have update in the next week though
    bakron1 likes this.
    03-23-16 05:12 AM
    Anyone have any rough idea? In my city, which has a population of 2 million, I've only seen one other guy with a BlackBerry device and I do go out a lot. Besides him, me and my girlfriend are active users. Seeing another person using a BlackBerry device these days is like seeing someone of your own race in a foreign country lol.

Posted via CB10
    Not sure of the numbers. One thing is certain though, the numbers are growing less and less with every sale.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-16 09:46 AM
    Not sure of the numbers. One thing is certain though, the numbers are growing less and less with every sale.

Posted via CB10
    As at the end of the third quarter of fiscal 2016, the Company had a user base of approximately 25 million.
    Per BlackBerry it's down to 25 Million from 37 million (only about 8 million of which were BB10 back then) only three quarter before.... so it is dropping pretty quickly due to the age of most of those devices. I imagine 90% of devices sold are to existing users, so really there is not organic growth going on, only losses as most are moving to other platforms.
    TgeekB, andy957 and JeepBB like this.
    03-23-16 10:10 AM
    If you think about it... that's was about 44,000 people every day turning off their BlackBerries for the last time.

For Chen that was a lot of Service revenues that were pretty much just profit that he has to watch drying up.
    03-23-16 02:20 PM
    That's pretty sad.. but I believe BlackBerry can bounce back. They just need the right initiatives. Now that BlackBerry made the Priv, I'm sure they must now have access to Google play services to which they can implement into BB10.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-16 05:54 PM
    That's pretty sad.. but I believe BlackBerry can bounce back. They just need the right initiatives. Now that BlackBerry made the Priv, I'm sure they must now have access to Google play services to which they can implement into BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Please, stop it....BlackBerry cannot and will not implement Google Play Services into BB10. If they could have already, they would have already. Like my kids used to sing a few years ago, "Let It Go"....

Posted via CB10
    03-23-16 06:07 PM
    Please, stop it....BlackBerry cannot and will not implement Google Play Services into BB10. If they could have already, they would have already. Like my kids used to sing a few years ago, "Let It Go"....

Posted via CB10
    I estimate this brilliant idea or very similar variations on the theme have been suggested by wide eyed folks over 100 times in the last 6 months. There is a sticky on the subject.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-store-953753/
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 03-23-16 at 06:38 PM. Reason: add link to sticky
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and andy957 like this.
    03-23-16 06:19 PM
    I wonder how the numbers are for privat BlackBerry users only.

I work in finance and there are still a lot of BBOS devices (nearly non beatable for the everyday office work, quick checking meetings...new emails etc.), and some BB10s in use. Having someone use a BB10 for private use is probably even rarer.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-16 06:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    Or you could just download the existing work around from Cobalt instead of hoping for BlackBerry to do something lol...

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2876
    bh7171 likes this.
    03-23-16 06:46 PM

Posted via CB10
    What I'm saying is that now that BlackBerry and Google are partners, BlackBerry can use Google's stuff and port it to BB10. Or make a whole new OS based around Google and call it BB11.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-16 02:15 AM
    What I'm saying is that now that BlackBerry and Google are partners, BlackBerry can use Google's stuff and port it to BB10. Or make a whole new OS based around Google and call it BB11.

Posted via CB10
    Your enthusiasm is commendable. Your grasp of reality is questionable.

BB and Google are NOT partners. BB has released a phone running Android in desperation. It's evidence of BB's weakness, not strength.

BB cannot use Google's stuff in BB10 - if they could, do you honestly believe it wouldn't have happened already?

BB11 will always remain a figment of your imagination. BB is out of the OS game, their last attempt at building an OS ended badly and almost killed the company.

As Elsa would say: "Let it go!"
    03-24-16 02:49 AM
    Your enthusiasm is commendable. Your grasp of reality is questionable.

BB and Google are NOT partners. BB has released a phone running Android in desperation. It's evidence of BB's weakness, not strength.

BB cannot use Google's stuff in BB10 - if they could, do you honestly believe it wouldn't have happened already?

BB11 will always remain a figment of your imagination. BB is out of the OS game, their last attempt at building an OS ended badly and almost killed the company.

As Elsa would say: "Let it go!"
    If Apple can do it with their iOS, I don't see why BlackBerry can't..

Posted via CB10
    03-24-16 03:18 AM
    If Apple can do it with their iOS, I don't see why BlackBerry can't..
    <sigh>

I'm out.
    andy957, gebco and Sulaco757 like this.
    03-24-16 03:20 AM

I'm out.
    Just trying to understand here. I'm kinda new to BlackBerry and I wouldn't wanna see this company kill its hardware.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by khlover520; 03-24-16 at 03:43 AM.
    03-24-16 03:27 AM
    Just trying to understand here. I'm kinda new to BlackBerry and I wouldn't wanna see this company kill its hardware.
    There is absolutely no way that Google would be foolish enough to allow Google Play on BB10. The point of Google Play and Play Services is to provide an app platform for certified Android devices, and to bind users into that ecosystem.

You mentioned iOS. Google doesn't offer Play for iOS either. What they do offer on iOS are special iOS native versions of their popular apps. Google does this because there are way too many iOS users for Google to ignore. They want those users to be using Waze, Google Maps, YouTube, etc.

iOS users are a particularly valuable demographic for a company that makes their money through advertising.

If BB10 had been a popular OS, Google probably would have done the same for BB10. But the reality is that didn't happen, and BlackBerry is moving on to Android (which Google likes of course). So now Google and BlackBerry are "partners" in the sense that their interests are aligned. Both companies want the BlackBerry faithful to just go out and buy the Priv.
    03-24-16 04:26 AM
    There is absolutely no way that Google would be foolish enough to allow Google Play on BB10. The point of Google Play and Play Services is to provide an app platform for certified Android devices, and to bind users into that ecosystem.

You mentioned iOS. Google doesn't offer Play for iOS either. What they do offer on iOS are special iOS native versions of their popular apps. Google does this because there are way too many iOS users for Google to ignore. They want those users to be using Waze, Google Maps, YouTube, etc.

iOS users are a particularly valuable demographic for a company that makes their money through advertising.

If BB10 had been a popular OS, Google probably would have done the same for BB10. But the reality is that didn't happen, and BlackBerry is moving on to Android (which Google likes of course). So now Google and BlackBerry are "partners" in the sense that their interests are aligned. Both companies want the BlackBerry faithful to go out and buy the Priv.
    Thanks for the explanation! It all makes sense now. I know iOS doesn't Google play services, but it does have Google support. Even the iOS browser supports Google whereas my Classic can't even bring up the layout Google has on android and iOS.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-16 04:30 AM
    Thanks for the explanation! It all makes sense now. I know iOS doesn't Google play services, but it does have Google support. Even the iOS browser supports Google whereas my Classic can't even bring up the layout Google has on android and iOS.
    Yes, the teams working on Google sites definitely test everything on mobile Safari. (The rest of us do also!)

And the Safari team also tests against the Google sites since those Google sites are some of the most popular sites in the world. So both sides work hard to make sure it all works properly.
    03-24-16 04:40 AM
    Yes, the teams working on Google sites definitely test everything on mobile Safari. (The rest of us do also!)

And the Safari team also tests against the Google sites since those Google sites are some of the most popular sites in the world. So both sides work hard to make sure it all works properly.
    You forgot to mention that Google paid Apple 1B dollars for Google search to be installed by default on IoS so that Google can thoroughly datamine Iphone users. That's important for Google because Iphone users spend more money than your average android user.
    03-24-16 05:47 AM
    If you think about it... that's was about 44,000 people every day turning off their BlackBerries for the last time.

For Chen that was a lot of Service revenues that were pretty much just profit that he has to watch drying up.
    To put these numbers in perspective, Apple claims a Billion active devices. I am sure Android's numbers are much larger.
    03-24-16 06:38 AM
    I wonder how the numbers are for privat BlackBerry users only.

I work in finance and there are still a lot of BBOS devices (nearly non beatable for the everyday office work, quick checking meetings...new emails etc.), and some BB10s in use. Having someone use a BB10 for private use is probably even rarer.

Posted via CB10
    I work in Finance too. We are phasing out Blackberries in favor of Good on personal devices.

Blackberry just bought Good so we are still BB customers.
    03-24-16 06:44 AM

Posted via CB10
    Great that you now understand. Maybe now you will finally put to rest your recent wave of "Blackberry resurrection" posts.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and Sulaco757 like this.
    03-24-16 09:44 AM
    Great that you now understand. Maybe now you will finally put to rest your recent wave of "Blackberry resurrection" posts.

Posted via CB10
    I haven't been posting anything of that sort. Why would I say BlackBerry is coming back when not even Chen is sure about that? If you're talking about my latest post, it's just an article I came across. I felt like sharing it with the community.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-16 02:38 PM
    You surely wouldn't be seeing many people use a BlackBerry these days, but when you do, it feels great.
    Ever since I planned on getting the Classic, I have seen at least 15 people with a BlackBerry in the past few months or so. The Classic I believe is the latest sensation here in India when it comes to BlackBerry smartphones specifically! The 8520 Curve still has a following here. Irrespective of what's going on with the brand, BlackBerry for sure has a loyal little fandom..

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    03-24-16 02:54 PM
46 12