02-26-15 12:12 PM
27 12
tools
    .04%. That's how low! It seems that us BlackBerry users and abusers are little more than dust on the scales.
    https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=...dw1mMc6jKL9Xdw

Home button? We don't need no stinking home button!
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    02-25-15 10:31 AM
    Thats total Bull**** !!
    02-25-15 11:21 AM
    Well,we still have that .04%

Posted via CB10
    neoberry99 likes this.
    02-25-15 01:07 PM
    We go as long as Blackberry continues to be profitable and makes great handsets. They've won me over with the Passport. Let's see what else they have in store in the near future for all of us.
    acovey likes this.
    02-25-15 01:38 PM
    That would put it at 5.2 million BlackBerry devices.. a small share of 1.3B but still a decent following.. If Chen can make his target of 10M a year BlackBerry would still only be a small player, but this gives some hope, we may not be third largest but it seems that reaching that 10M/yr goal isn't that farfetched

BB for Life
    GSM-S likes this.
    02-25-15 01:51 PM
    We go as long as Blackberry continues to be profitable
    They have to start being profitable before they can continue to be. And it doesn't look like the hardware portion of the business has been profitable for years - it's the software portion of the business (BES and QNX) that have been making up for some of the hardware division's losses.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    02-25-15 01:52 PM
    .04%. That's how low!
    While still unfortunate, it's actually 0.4% of recent device sales. 0.4% is an order of magnitude higher than 0.04%, so at least there's that. :-)
    02-25-15 02:22 PM
    My prediction is to drop to 0% by the end of 2015. BlackBerry is losing money on every single BB10 device. Chen will most likely shut down hardware and BB10 development. Can't afford it anymore. Business is business, no matter what current BlackBerry users want. Wait for Passport prepaid for $250 in 2016.
    02-25-15 08:12 PM
    Companies like Subaru have tiny share of the market in the auto sector but are considered successful and are respected. Why be critical of BlackBerry for not being world dominant? They make beautiful handsets and have billions in cash to continue even if they were actually losing money on them. Without making these ultimate communication devices, they would be diminished in stature as a company.

TCB on Z10
    02-25-15 08:41 PM
    Subaru is actually making profit from car sales. BlackBerry is losing money on hardware and OS development. Use the cash to satisfy 0.4% of the market? No chance. The only available option in this survival situation is to convert the company to solutions provider only. Chen will have to make this decision at some point. And it has to be this year.
    02-25-15 08:54 PM
    Lamborghini doesn't have a huge market share either. Know anybody that wants one?

Via my simply amazing  Q10 10.3.1.2267
    neoberry99 and Carjackd like this.
    02-25-15 08:59 PM
    Advertise BlackBerry Advertise!!

You can have the best products in the world but nobody knows about them!!

Q10 on 10.3.1.1581
    theGUNNER likes this.
    02-25-15 09:02 PM
    Lamborghini doesn't have a huge market share either. Know anybody that wants one?
    Not many BlackBerry users are willing to pay $5000 for a top performance custom built BB10 device.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    02-25-15 09:45 PM
    Lamborghini, like nearly all of the high-end sportscar companies, is owned by a huge conglomerate that makes tons of other, more mainstream cars (Volkswagen, in this case).

How low can you go?-volkswagen-kooperation.jpg

But, unlike those high-end sportscars, BB isn't able to get 10-20 times as much money per phone for their BB10 phones compared to the market average. If they could, then they would be profitable and the marketshare wouldn't be SUCH a big issue. And another serious flaw in this comparison: all cars share most of the "ecosystem", with virtually all of the key parts of the ecosystem available to any car: the roads and the fuel.

Smartphones rely on apps, services, and companion devices, and BB's ecosystem is both very limited and a mess compared to the mainstream competition. There is really no automobile equivalent, which makes cars a poor metaphor for the smartphone market. And this absolutely KEY piece of the puzzle, the ecosystem, is almost directly proportional to the overall marketshare the platform has. If you have no marketshare, then you have no developer interest, and thus, no ecosystem. Marketshare-wise, BB has actually done worse every single quarter since BB10 was launched, though to be fair, they were doing worse each quarter for several years before the BB10 launch as well.
    JeepBB, Magnetox and mornhavon like this.
    02-25-15 09:55 PM
    Not many BlackBerry users are willing to pay $5000 for a top performance custom built BB10 device.
    Lamborghini, like nearly all of the high-end sportscar companies, is owned by a huge conglomerate that makes tons of other, more mainstream cars (Volkswagen, in this case).
    But, unlike those high-end sportscars, BB isn't able to get 10-20 times as much money per phone for their BB10 phones compared to the market average. If they could, then they would be profitable and the marketshare wouldn't be SUCH a big issue. And another serious flaw in this comparison: all cars share most of the "ecosystem", with virtually all of the key parts of the ecosystem available to any car: the roads and the fuel.

Smartphones rely on apps, services, and companion devices, and BB's ecosystem is both very limited and a mess compared to the mainstream competition. There is really no automobile equivalent, which makes cars a poor metaphor for the smartphone market. And this absolutely KEY piece of the puzzle, the ecosystem, is almost directly proportional to the overall marketshare the platform has. If you have no marketshare, then you have no developer interest, and thus, no ecosystem. Marketshare-wise, BB has actually done worse every single quarter since BB10 was launched, though to be fair, they were doing worse each quarter for several years before the BB10 launch as well.
    Well thank you. I feel all better now. Hope you do too.

Carjackd likes this.
    02-25-15 10:11 PM
    I hear Samsung a-knockin!!

Z10STL100-2/10.3.1.2243
    02-26-15 01:00 AM

To compare Lamborghini with Blackberry, is quite a stretch. One is a Luxury icon, while the other is a one time technology giant, who is fighting everyday to maintain its relevance.

Posted via CB10
    Magnetox and MarsupilamiX like this.
    02-26-15 01:31 AM
    Subaru is actually making profit from car sales. BlackBerry is losing money on hardware and OS development. Use the cash to satisfy 0.4% of the market? No chance. The only available option in this survival situation is to convert the company to solutions provider only. Chen will have to make this decision at some point. And it has to be this year.
    Chen said they need to see sales of 10mil. devices a year for the hardware division to be profitable. I'm really hoping they can do what is necessary to hit that mark before Chen loses patience and pulls the plug on hardware, because to me they make some really good stuff… 12mil. devices a year, and continue to be a specialty player making innovative products? I think the Subaru analogy is a pretty good one, and I for one would be happy if BB finds a similar niche.
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    02-26-15 01:55 AM
    I think the Subaru analogy is a pretty good one...
    Saab is better analogy. They used to make good and very safe cars, but vanished after a series of wrong business decisions. Just like BlackBerry, they were trying to use the brand name and sell overpriced products based on older technology.
    02-26-15 06:26 AM

Lamborghini sells cars for around 300k Dollar a piece.
    They are a part of Audi. Audi probably has an ASP of 50k Dollar.
    Therefore, Lamborghini sells cars for 6 times more than Audi does.

BlackBerry isn't part of another enterprise.
    BlackBerry's Flagship costs 600$. Samsung's, HTC' etc, flagships cost 600$.
    Therefore, BlackBerry sells their phones for more or less the same price as the competition. Not for 6 times more than them.

The analogy already falls apart at that basic level...
    Could we please have a sticky, saying that car analogies are just bad in 99.9% of the time and shouldn't be used?
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 02-26-15 at 10:27 AM.
    sentimentGX4 and donnation like this.
    02-26-15 08:49 AM
    We're the 0.4%.

Worldwide, that sounds accurate. Consider the large group of people moving from dumb/feature phones to Android and Lumias. BlackBerry doesn't really have a low end device worldwide, nor does it do any marketing for the end user. It's only Apple doing the high end only and succeeding, all other players have a wide array of low end and mid range devices. And they all scream as loud as they can how good their phones are, so people buy them.

It's bound to get worse before it gets better, as they are not yet done sinking their teeth into the EMM BOYD niche. Which they are doing, and doing rather well.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 08:57 AM
    In my house, market share is 50%

 Z10
    neoberry99 likes this.
    02-26-15 09:23 AM
    I like living in a small town.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 09:38 AM
    In the current environment, security not keyboards is the way to regain marketshare particularly if you are abandoning the consumer market and focusing only on business.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    02-26-15 09:41 AM

Well said

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    02-26-15 09:47 AM
27 12