I got a new 8330 curve. I percieved this purchase as an investmet for the future. I am thinking that I will use this for the next 6 years.. do u guys think it will last that long ??

Im not gonna buy the insurance, cuz if it is seriously damaged, i am gonna get a regular cell phone, not a new expensive blackberry.
    10-26-08 08:04 PM
    6 years is a really, really, really, really, really long time to have the same cellphone. The technology you have now will be outdated in 2 years or less.
    10-26-08 08:08 PM
    If your under a contract don't most places offer upgrades near the end of the term?
    10-26-08 08:10 PM
    Agreed. Two years, you'll be reaching for the newest crackberry. You'll want it. You'll need it. You'll get it.
    10-26-08 08:12 PM
    hmmmm,.., i am thought that i would always be satisfied with the technology of the 8330 model.. i guess in the future, better blackberrys will be invented,,.
    10-26-08 08:15 PM
    Better BlackBerry's have already been invented, just waiting on the releases

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-08 08:19 PM
    These devices are great because you always have an OS update which will keep you up to snuff with the general public. The only thing you would have to worry about is the actual hardware. Just keep it in a case and you should be fine
    10-26-08 08:19 PM
    Just like with PCs you will always want for more processing power, memory and storage space.
    10-26-08 08:21 PM
    6 years is a long time but I'm sure if you had to use it for that long it would be fine in 6 years! Though u will most likely want something updated by then, check out the other forums there are people using older BB's just fine!

10-26-08 08:30 PM
    Of course if you run over your BlackBerry with your car, it won't last very long.
    10-26-08 08:31 PM
    6 years is like 3 lifetimes for a phone!!! I'm hoping to be satisfied for 2, possibly 3 years, personally!!

10-26-08 08:37 PM
    I got a new 8330 curve. I percieved this purchase as an investmet for the future. I am thinking that I will use this for the next 6 years.. do u guys think it will last that long ??

Im not gonna buy the insurance, cuz if it is seriously damaged, i am gonna get a regular cell phone, not a new expensive blackberry.
    The thing I like about BB is that it provides OS updates that can keep you up to date for a while--for instance, my Pearl is a little over a year old, and I have the latest OS on it.....I figure that in THEORY, I could keep it till RIM decides that they will not provide more OS updates for this model--and if I am happy with it, I could keep it beyond that.

But being the gadget "lover" that I am, I am holding on by my fingertips till the javelin comes out--because I want more on device memory, and all the Pearls (which I LOVE)only have the 64 MB......

So, I said all that to say this--you COULD keep your bb for 6 yrs, but the odds are you will be ready to upgrade in two yrs, three at the MOST.
    10-26-08 08:41 PM

It will last that long... but it will be outdated. haha
    10-26-08 08:48 PM
    That reminds me that a number of years ago I had a phone that I liked so much I kept it for many years. So many, that when I lost it not only could I not replace it because that model was obsolete but the model that replaced it was no longer being sold either.

I had the 7100 for over 2 years and probably would still have that but I was running out of memory due to my contacts and needed to get a new phone. But if I kept this for 2 years I wouldn't complain.

10-26-08 08:54 PM
    That reminds me that a number of years ago I had a phone that I liked so much I kept it for many years. So many, that when I lost it not only could I not replace it because that model was obsolete but the model that replaced it was no longer being sold either.

I had the 7100 for over 2 years and probably would still have that but I was running out of memory due to my contacts and needed to get a new phone. But if I kept this for 2 years I wouldn't complain.

I still have my old Treo 650 that I bought back in 2004. It is just over four years old now and I still charge it weekly though it's not activated so I can go back and read SMS and other things on it. I think it could still be activated through Sprint.
    10-26-08 09:12 PM
    umm!! 6 years??????? dude!! do u remember what cell phone u were using 6 years ago??? geesh!!! im sure you would want to upgrade in the next 2 years.. Cell phones are high in demand.. and are just like computers.. something new is coming out right when u purchase yours... l
    10-26-08 09:15 PM
    I still have my old Treo 650 that I bought back in 2004. It is just over four years old now and I still charge it weekly though it's not activated so I can go back and read SMS and other things on it. I think it could still be activated through Sprint.
    See, I know on a site like this where everybody wants the new BlackBerry the day it comes out but I wouldn't mind being able to use the same phone for 4 years. I think one reason you don't see that kind of quality anymore is because everybody wants the new must have as soon as its out.

10-26-08 09:37 PM
    You will want a newer one. Your BB is like your car....you give it love while you have it and when a flashier one comes along you trade it in.

10-26-08 09:38 PM
    You will want a newer one. Your BB is like your car....you give it love while you have it and when a flashier one comes along you trade it in.

LOL, that assumes that one has the finances to do that sort of thing.....my car will be 10 yrs old next yr.
    10-26-08 09:46 PM
    Dude, 6 years is really a long time to keep a phone. Check out this picture of a BlackBerry that was released in 2002. Can you imagine using it today? I honestly doubt it would still be functional, even if you were willing to lug it around.

10-26-08 10:36 PM
    Dude, 6 years is really a long time to keep a phone. Check out this picture of a BlackBerry that was released in 2002. Can you imagine using it today? I honestly doubt it would still be functional, even if you were willing to lug it around.

Just curious, what model is that? IS there anyone still rocking this model and if so props to them. Realistically, 4-5 years would probably be tops before you would cave in and buy the latest and greatest....for me it would anyway.
    10-26-08 11:55 PM
    I can't keep the same phone for a year...

10-27-08 12:08 AM
    Agreed. Two years, you'll be reaching for the newest crackberry. You'll want it. You'll need it. You'll get it.
    couldn't have said it better myself.

I just got my curve a month ago, but I don't plan on upgrading for a long while. I don't even care if it's been out a year, it's the best phone I've ever had.

here's to the next 2 years of curvy goodness
    10-27-08 12:36 AM
    I agree with most, over the last decade cell phones have been evolving quicker every year! The life of a cell phone being sold by a carrier is getting shorter. This only means technology is growing and therefore new phone models coming quicker.

I too have noticed my trends in how long I own cell phones. I went from keeping a phone for 2-3 years to down to 1.5 - 2 years and now my last phone, the Samsung M610 with Sprint I had for only 1 year. Then I just got the Curve this summer when it came out.

In the future I can see myself keeping a phone for no longer than 1.5 to 2 years. That's becoming the norm and it may even shrink to every year with the rate we are going.
    10-27-08 12:51 AM
    I can easily see myself using my curve for the next two years but no more than that. However I probably will upgrade after about a year.

So far I haven't used the same phone ever for more than a year. For some reason I think the curve is going to be different. Even if I do upgrade I am probably going to keep the curve as a backup/overseas phone.

10-27-08 12:52 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD