View Poll Results: How long do you wait to upgrade?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm usually already looking after a month (or less)!

4 7.41%
  • I get bored within 3 months and have to get something new.

5 9.26%
  • Six months tops - technology just changes too fast.

7 12.96%
  • I can usually hold out for a year, but seldom longer than that.

19 35.19%
  • I usually wait until I'm eligible for a free or big-discount upgrade.

17 31.48%
  • I don't upgrade until there is a significant shift in technology.

2 3.70%
  • I keep it until it literally quits working or falls apart in my hands!

0 0%
    I've seen a couple of threads on this, but I thought I'd post it as a poll.

With the proliferation of mobile devices, especially with BlackBerry, we are under a constant assault of "new and better" models. So my question is simple: how long do you typically wait before you just have to get "the latest and greatest device"?

I'm going to hypothesize that younger folks (under 30?) would have a *tendency* to want to switch more frequently, but that is just a guess based on my own societal observations.
    09-09-09 12:01 PM
    Well I've had my Curve 8330 for a little over a year now. I wanted so badly to switch to the Tour, but I wait to see what else would come out within the next year. I could have upgraded to the Tour, but if Wifi is rumored to come out to any BB on vzw then I just have to wait.
    09-09-09 12:05 PM
    I got by with an old, clunky flip "dumbphone" for a long time...and even had a big stretch of time where I didn't have a cell phone at all. I'd like to think I can hold out a year to see what comes along and I can shift to from my Curve, but with some of the rumored devices coming up that will pop on other carriers, it's made me rethink my current carrier.

Regardless of whether I stick with Sprint and upgrade to the Tour (which would be at my one-year mark thanks to the Premier upgrades), or jump ship to T-Mobile for the 9700, I know that that phone will last me at least 18-24 months.

I think the only reason I'm so keen on upgrading my 8330 is...well, it's been a great "BB trainer", but now that I see what it can do, and all the more powerful, vibrant ways these things can be done on BBs, I'm thinking I wanna make a step up to something I'll keep chugging along with for a year or more.

As neat as many of these devices are that come out, I just can't justify switching devices every time something new comes along...it has to be a real step forward that I think will benefit me. I could care less if it's the newest and hottest thing...I don't carry my BB to impress people...I carry it to get things done on the go.
    09-09-09 01:35 PM
    Nothing in your poll suits my situation.

I got my Pearl because I hated the Nokia E62, moved to the
    Curve only because the GPS and it was cheap ($75), got a Bold
    because my brother-in-law hated it and gave it to me free and
    finally the 8900 because (a) the Bold is too big, (b) it got
    impaled and (c) I got it for $7.00.

I don't really covet newer models, things just work out in my favor.

I do pay my good fortune forward though. The Pearl and
    Curve were given away, gratis.
    09-09-09 02:07 PM

impaled
    and (c) I got it for $7.00.

That story still haunts me Ken. You are one lucky dude.

I don't really see a choice that accommodates my BB consumer habits either. I had my 8703e for less than 2 months. Switched to 8830 because I liked the trackball..had it for roughly 5 months. Switched to Pearl (8130) because it had a camera, but I hated the SureType. Switched to Curve (8330) in early to mid 2008 and stayed with it until July 17, 2009 because it had everything I needed (best BB ever!). Now I have the Tour (9630) because it's a step up from the Curve in every way possible and a refresh in technology is always nice. I really like my Tour and I see myself staying with it for a long time.
    09-09-09 02:56 PM

impaled and (c) I got it for $7.00.

Sorry Ken...I should've added an extra option just for you: I keep my phone until it gets impaled by a coworker, saving my life in the process.

(I still get shivers thinking about that story!)
    09-09-09 03:06 PM
    Sorry to go off-topic but is there a link to the story how AG's phone was impaled?
    09-09-09 03:10 PM
    This depends. If I am fully happy and remain interested in my phone, then I may have it for a long time. If it is a piece of junk, I may not wait too long before I trade it in. For the record, I have always kept my BBs for the length of my contract. If the 5.0 OS for the Bold is like rumors speculate, then I may go well past my expired contract. I'm serious. That's how awesome the Bold is.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-09 08:14 PM
    I have always kept my phones for 2 years til I'm eligible for an upgrade. But I traded into my blackberry flip and I am wondering why I waited so long to get a blackberry. And I got this bb about 2 months before my upgrade and am definitely thinkin I'm going with the tour at the end of October

09-10-09 08:23 PM
    Sorry to go off-topic but is there a link to the story how AG's phone was impaled?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/my-...erally-261906/
    09-10-09 08:28 PM
    I try to enjoy my phones as long as possible, but usually can't. Although I must say, that I have never been as happy with a phone as with the Tour.
    09-10-09 08:46 PM
    I usually get around a year and I upgrade because the phones are upgrading so fast. And, with the pro-rated deals these days it's pretty nice.
    09-10-09 08:54 PM
    I have to agree with the Doctor... I'm really liking the Tour. So it depends on what comes out as an enhancement.

I generally see enough technology change to switch devices in 1 to 1.5 yrs.

09-10-09 08:56 PM
    When I had dumb phones I always went ae years. Since being with a bb I have had everyone vzw offers and have finally landed on the tour which I went out of my way to pay less the retail lol.

09-10-09 08:59 PM
    I think phone companies come out with new phones each year on purpose to tease us into upgrading... Meanies!
    09-10-09 09:01 PM
    I think phone companies come out with new phones each year on purpose to tease us into upgrading... Meanies!
    Yeah, just look at the various "upgrades" that come out. Just a few tweaks here and there, some cosmetic design changes, and "VOILA! The latest and greatest has arrived!"

The iPhone and, yes, several BB's come to mind.
    09-14-09 10:53 PM
    I like to change to a newer model about once a year, maybe more if I really like the one I have. But also maybe less if an awesome new one comes out.
    09-14-09 11:13 PM
    I'd upgrade daily if I could.
    09-14-09 11:17 PM
    I usually have 2 or 3 different devices at a time as I cant seem to stay on a device for more than a month at a time. I just like to have a variety.
    09-14-09 11:27 PM
    I upgrade when I'm financially sound.

Which is virtually never. So I normally wait until I'm eligible for an upgrade.
    09-15-09 10:16 AM
    My last three phones have all been obtained through VZW's NE2 plan, and I expect my next one will as well; unless someone starts throwing money at me... anyone? anyone?
    09-15-09 11:00 AM
    My last three phones have all been obtained through VZW's NE2 plan, and I expect my next one will as well; unless someone starts throwing money at me... anyone? anyone?
    I'll jump on that boat too. PM me if you're interested in donating to The Poor Nick Needs a New Phone Foundation.
    09-15-09 11:39 AM
    I get bored within a year.
    09-15-09 11:43 AM
    My first BBerry was government issued in '06. Since that time I've gone through one 8800, 8820, 8310, 8310 for my mother (who at 86 is a Bberry genius without ever cracking open the manual!) and now my Bold. Donated all except for the Bold.
    Waiting for the Onyx, but I won't be donating my Bold. Love that thing.
    09-15-09 12:12 PM
    I'll use a phone until a phone truly wows me. Maybe the next next generation of blackberries will be nice. The tour will hold me over until it stops working.

09-15-09 07:15 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD