Silicon Valley's dirty secret: Age bias - San Jose Mercury News

The article is about age discrimination in Silicon Valley. Here is one of the hints to land that job:

"In person, older job applicants should carry a backpack, not a briefcase, he says. Avoid Blackberries and Dell laptops in favor of Android phones and Apple (AAPL) products. And above all, steer clear of wristwatches, which most younger people have replaced with the clocks on their phones. "The worst would be a gold Rolex," he says. "Tacky, and old.""
    11-27-12 10:52 PM
    lol...

a wristwatch is jewellery for men.... I'd like to think someone who carries a wristwatch is more likely to be on time.
    11-27-12 10:57 PM
    Silicon Valley's dirty secret: Age bias - San Jose Mercury News

The article is about age discrimination in Silicon Valley. Here is one of the hints to land that job:

"In person, older job applicants should carry a backpack, not a briefcase, he says. Avoid Blackberries and Dell laptops in favor of Android phones and Apple (AAPL) products. And above all, steer clear of wristwatches, which most younger people have replaced with the clocks on their phones. "The worst would be a gold Rolex," he says. "Tacky, and old.""
    Doesn't the author acknowledge that what you quoted are "Tired old myths"?
    jweihrauch likes this.
    11-27-12 11:01 PM
    I know nothing of silicon valley but the quoted 'rules" sound comical more than bone fide.

One would expect ANY potential employer in the Silicon Valley to want the best candidate & a gold rolex certainly sets one apart from the herd. Have you seen how much they cost?
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    11-27-12 11:08 PM
    How to land a seat on Apple's board of directors; Hint: Get a BlackBerry
    How to land a seat as Google's chairman:; Hint: Get a BlackBerry
    Even those on the Apple Board of Directors understand that BlackBerry people do | CrackBerry.com
    11-27-12 11:26 PM
    Even those on the Apple Board of Directors understand that BlackBerry people do | CrackBerry.com

LOL, but see, that opens you up to the question of what devices have RIM's leaders been using...
    11-27-12 11:31 PM
    I know nothing of silicon valley but the quoted 'rules" sound comical more than bone fide.

One would expect ANY potential employer in the Silicon Valley to want the best candidate & a gold rolex certainly sets one apart from the herd. Have you seen how much they cost?
    I understand what the author is trying to say, and know stuff like that exists, but while I do hope my appearance makes a good impression, i would hope that the strength of my work and hunger to succeed would carry a bit more weight than my bling or choice of device.
    mnhockeycoach99 and Cesare21 like this.
    11-27-12 11:33 PM
    I totally forgot Eric Schmidt uses a blackberry. I'll admit I never heard of Drexler, but I like his attitude. I get so POd by things being discontinued for no good reason.
    11-28-12 12:02 AM
    LOL, but see, that opens you up to the question of what devices have RIM's leaders been using...
    How to land a Silicon Valley executive job; Hint: Ditch the Blackberry-gsmarena_001.jpg
    Superfly_FR and mithrazor like this.
    11-28-12 12:05 AM
    I totally forgot Eric Schmidt uses a blackberry. I'll admit I never heard of Drexler, but I like his attitude. I get so POd by things being discontinued for no good reason.
    Eric loves his BB.
    11-28-12 12:06 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gsmarena_001.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	126625
    You beat me to it.
    11-28-12 12:29 AM
    Thankfully, Thor is smart enough to expand his horizons....
    11-28-12 12:47 AM
    Thankfully, Thor is smart enough to expand his horizons....
    Not sure if that was sarcastic. But yeah he's admitted to using some of the Android devices. I think he had a Samsung Galaxy S3 but I can't remember. It sorta makes sense with BB10 using Android apps too. But I think it's mostly to test the competition of course.
    11-28-12 02:14 AM
    Not sure if that was sarcastic. But yeah he's admitted to using some of the Android devices. I think he had a Samsung Galaxy S3 but I can't remember. It sorta makes sense with BB10 using Android apps too. But I think it's mostly to test the competition of course.
    Not sarcastic. It's smart, and shows a willingness to learn that some would say his predecessors lacked.
    Barljo likes this.
    11-28-12 06:12 AM
    How to be elected President of the United States:
    SCrid2000 likes this.
    11-28-12 04:54 PM
    It's all about image. As far as I can tell, BlackBerry has no image and its reputation has been tarnished unfortunately. The BB10 is the saving grace and all about regaining the confidence of the (US) market.
    11-28-12 05:52 PM
    lol...

a wristwatch is jewellery for men.... I'd like to think someone who carries a wristwatch is more likely to be on time.
    yeah or look good being late
    11-28-12 06:37 PM
    A back pack and no wristwatch? Are they looking for a college drop out and his crew of flunkies?
    11-29-12 01:03 AM
    Nothing more pathetic than an old guy trying to look young. I know, I,m and old guy.

Smart, eloquent, articulate never gets old.
    Superfly_FR and Shanerredflag like this.
    11-29-12 04:50 AM
    Nothing more pathetic than an old guy trying to look young. I know, I,m and old guy.
    Smart, eloquent, articulate never gets old.
    Define "old" #sameBoatHere
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    11-29-12 06:25 AM
    I hope they've been using more than just BlackBerrys.
    11-29-12 06:39 AM
    It's all about image. As far as I can tell, BlackBerry has no image and its reputation has been tarnished unfortunately. The BB10 is the saving grace and all about regaining the confidence of the (US) market.
    The promise of BB10 is the only thing keeping investors from ripping the company apart. So in that sense, yes it is a saving grace, but so far it hasn't sold a single unit -- so in another sense it is a Hail Mary. BB10 is a promise of something mythical, and until anyone sees it, RIM will remain as you stated, with "no image and its reputation ... tarnished"
    11-29-12 09:24 AM
    Not sarcastic. It's smart, and shows a willingness to learn that some would say his predecessors lacked.
    Oh I agree 100%. Just didn't know the tone of your original post is all.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    11-29-12 11:00 AM
    The article is right but that goes for any job; you need to dress the part. Those aren't rules you'd follow for getting an investment banking job (I've seen people disqualified becuase the interviewers didn't like that he wasn't wearing a tie). Some people I know that work at Apple have told me similiar stories. Going to an interview there in a suit greatly decreases you chances of landing a job there.

People want to work with people who they'll feel comfortable with and people who are "like them". It makes sense that they're going to prefer to hire someone who they perceive as having similiar attitudes .
    11-29-12 12:46 PM
    I hope they've been using more than just BlackBerrys.
    Thor does. I believe he rotates through to get a feel as to what the consumers are feeling when using them. I like that.
    11-29-12 01:01 PM
29 12