Found in this article
    http://seriousmobile.wordpress.com/2013/01/06/rim-bb10-true-end-game-is-qnx-noc/

It looks awesome, much better that squares
    Attached Thumbnails How icons on BB10 might actually look...fingers crossed-rim-bb10-homescreen.jpg  
    SEAWARRIOR and GenTsoChicken like this.
    01-07-13 11:30 PM
    If I'm not mistaken that's just a mock up with playbook icons.
    01-07-13 11:32 PM
    It says in the comments that it's a Beta OS running in the emulator. We'll know in 20ish days
    01-07-13 11:38 PM
    I'm confused.

The one on the right is from the "original" BB10 beta. That icon set has been replaced by ones with smaller graphics and rounded-corner rectangles in the background.

The one on the left, if I remember correctly, was actually mocked up by a member on CB as a possible alternative; so far as I know it's not on the table at all. Frankly, I find the labels harder to read.
    01-07-13 11:45 PM
    I would prefer to have the playbook icons injected in to the BB10 rather than the squared ones...
    BryanVilla and GenTsoChicken like this.
    01-07-13 11:45 PM
    Ever since this icon "debate" started, I've wondered why they didn't just go with the Playbook-ish icons....there is NOTHING wrong with them....they look fabulous, and yes...as I agree with you....MUCH better than those ******** square f-ing monstrosities.....if they go with the square ones.....I'm selling my shares....seriously
    01-08-13 12:00 AM
    I was just thinking about it and to me it doesn't make sense to go with square icons since they simply would not all fit in the screen in landscape. I don't remember seeing any pictures and videos of Dev Alphas showing icons in landscape.
    01-08-13 12:09 AM
    Here we go again...
    Alex_Hong, jakie55, dee. and 1 others like this.
    01-08-13 12:12 AM
    I'm confused.

The one on the right is from the "original" BB10 beta. That icon set has been replaced by ones with smaller graphics and rounded-corner rectangles in the background.

The one on the left, if I remember correctly, was actually mocked up by a member on CB as a possible alternative; so far as I know it's not on the table at all. Frankly, I find the labels harder to read.
    once you get used to the icons, you won't need to read 'em,,, personally i'd prefer no wording, just icons,,, BB users know what they're clicking on,,, usually,,, if they reused the PB icons, i'd be ok w/ it,,, much easier on the eyes than the ones on the right...
    filoinstyle likes this.
    01-08-13 12:27 AM
    squared icons will just ruin the good structure design of the BB10. I have no problem of keeping the icons of such bold 9900 or playbook and make it a little smaller to take advantage of having a large screen..

anyway all be will revealed at it the end of the month, better be a good one
    01-08-13 12:28 AM
    I just hope there is an option to get rid of the text labels since they will be unreadable anyways.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    01-08-13 06:20 AM
    You're comparing two completely different screenshots.. The first one was mocked up by a member of the CrackBerry forums about a month or two ago (aka, old news and its NOT internal, icons will NOT look like that in the left). Reason being, the PlayBook icons are terrible from a consistency standpoint, make the PB OS look very unpolished, they are not moving that over to BB10.

Yes, the square on the right look ugly.. But thats a screenshot from the icons about 2 months ago.... The new icons look MUCH better, you're comparing apples to oranges with those two pictures.. Here's what it is ACTUALLY going to look like, just a tad bit more refined, but its close to exact:

Now can we PLEASE stop this whole icon debate... They have given instructions of what the icons must look like to developers and they already made the icons for the 120,000 apps currently in BB World, so they are NOT going to do any major changes in icons as it would require 120k app icons to be changed, now PLEASE just drop this already, the above icons are close to final, live with it.
    01-08-13 07:41 AM
    You're comparing two completely different screenshots.. The first one was mocked up by a member of the CrackBerry forums about a month or two ago (aka, old news and its NOT internal, icons will NOT look like that in the left). Reason being, the PlayBook icons are terrible from a consistency standpoint, make the PB OS look very unpolished, they are not moving that over to BB10.

Yes, the square on the right look ugly.. But thats a screenshot from the icons about 2 months ago.... The new icons look MUCH better, you're comparing apples to oranges with those two pictures.. Here's what it is ACTUALLY going to look like, just a tad bit more refined, but its close to exact:

http://i.imgur.com/DDJJv.jpg http://i.imgur.com/ipifj.jpg

Now can we PLEASE stop this whole icon debate... They have given instructions of what the icons must look like to developers and they already made the icons for the 120,000 apps currently in BB World, so they are NOT going to do any major changes in icons as it would require 120k app icons to be changed, now PLEASE just drop this already, the above icons are close to final, live with it.
    Still pretty freaking ugly Imo. Not sure what purpose the boxes have in the first place.

a hitbox maybe? Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    01-08-13 07:46 AM
    well you know what they say about opinions......good looking icons mi think so there goes my opinion
    01-08-13 08:10 AM
    Still pretty freaking ugly Imo. Not sure what purpose the boxes have in the first place.

a hitbox maybe? Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    It has two obvious purposes...

1.) It makes it so there is a consistency between apps, as some icons are taller/shorter than others, and are not all the EXACT same size. Take away the background, and you will begin looking like the PlayBook icons in the sense of inconsistency and the OS will look very incomplete.

2.) Everyone who is just saying "THROW IN THE PLAYBOOK ICONS, THEY ARE GREAT", well there are two issues with this. One of which, have you ever had a PlayBook and downloaded a few apps? I literally have to organize my icons by shape and height, because they look EXTREMELY ugly next to eachother as they are all so varying sizes. But more importantly, look at a PlayBook, the icon tray has a background that is a light black, and people seem to ignore this important fact... Take away the transparent background, and the icons & words would get lost in the background of the wallpaper that the user chooses. They needed to make a way so that the user could have a background, and have the apps still pop out. I am a web designer, and focus on front-end design, and I can see with 100% certainty both the reason WHY they did this from a design aspect, and understand HOW bad it would actually look, taken out the transparent backgrounds to the icons given a large selection of different wallpapers. It would honestly ruin the look and feel of the OS and make it feel very incomplete and thrown together.
    Masahiro likes this.
    01-08-13 08:11 AM
    I liked the square icons better, was alot more consistent and I think at first it looks a bot off, but after some use you get used to it.
    01-08-13 08:11 AM