DOes anyone think that RIM will, in the future, be giving us folders for our email. I love the way my iPhone has full access to all of my past email. If Apple can do it why not RIM?
    05-19-11 09:05 AM
    you'll have to be more specific; are the folders to manually organize emails(independent of what the device does automatically)?

and couldn't the search function be used to find your previous emails?
    05-19-11 10:51 AM
    Try Logicmail.
    05-19-11 11:07 AM
    you'll have to be more specific; are the folders to manually organize emails(independent of what the device does automatically)?

and couldn't the search function be used to find your previous emails?
    I think the OP means can the mail on the blackberry be more like the mail app on the IMAP mail app on the iphone where you can have access to your sent folder, spam folder, you can empty the trash (for your yahoo account) and essentially have access to whatever is sitting on your web mail. With BIS you are merely limited to what is on the device and you can't file mail into specific folders you have setup in your webmail.

It's not a bad question as I have had important emails from companies I don't regularly correspond with be sent automatically to a spam folder. They never showed up on my blackberry. I had to go online via the mobile browser to check the spam folder on webmail and move them to my inbox so they would then appear as a new email on my device.

The iphone is the only platform I used that does this all in one mail app. On android the gmail app and the yahoo app does this but hey are separate apps. Other email providers (live, hotmail, aol, etc.) don't have an app that gives you access to specific folders you setup in your account or access to spam or trash folders.

There used to be a yahoo mail app for blackberry that did this to some extent. Of course, it only worked for yahoo. I think yahoo stopped producing it. I know a gmail app still exists with similar features.
    05-19-11 11:18 AM
    To get IMAP from yahoo you have to pay for it don't you? Unless you use one of those work arounds. It's that way on pc anyway.
    05-19-11 11:35 AM
    DOes anyone think that RIM will, in the future, be giving us folders for our email. I love the way my iPhone has full access to all of my past email. If Apple can do it why not RIM?
    Android can do it as well
    05-19-11 11:48 AM
    And to correct the above it's not just IMAP. If you set your yahoo up as POP on Android or iOS you still have access to all the folders. Same thing with gmail. If it's set up as POP you will have access to all the folders. Changes just won't sync like IMAP.
    05-19-11 11:51 AM
    The iphone is the only platform I used that does this all in one mail app. On android the gmail app and the yahoo app does this but hey are separate apps.
    Incorrect. Android phones have both a Gmail app and an all-in-one email app where you can add your gmail and other mail accounts.
    05-19-11 11:52 AM
    I think the OP means can the mail on the blackberry be more like the mail app on the IMAP mail app on the iphone where you can have access to your sent folder, spam folder, you can empty the trash (for your yahoo account) and essentially have access to whatever is sitting on your web mail. With BIS you are merely limited to what is on the device and you can't file mail into specific folders you have setup in your webmail.

It's not a bad question as I have had important emails from companies I don't regularly correspond with be sent automatically to a spam folder. They never showed up on my blackberry. I had to go online via the mobile browser to check the spam folder on webmail and move them to my inbox so they would then appear as a new email on my device.

The iphone is the only platform I used that does this all in one mail app. On android the gmail app and the yahoo app does this but hey are separate apps. Other email providers (live, hotmail, aol, etc.) don't have an app that gives you access to specific folders you setup in your account or access to spam or trash folders.

There used to be a yahoo mail app for blackberry that did this to some extent. Of course, it only worked for yahoo. I think yahoo stopped producing it. I know a gmail app still exists with similar features.
    the Gmail plugin for Blackberry lets you sort between folders so maybe that's worth a shot?
    05-19-11 12:04 PM
    What Blackberry needs is a AOL plug-in which I am sure no one is working on. Not just AOL but other would enjoy the same. This is the one sole feature that my iPhone does better.
    05-19-11 01:32 PM
    What Blackberry needs is a AOL plug-in which I am sure no one is working on. Not just AOL but other would enjoy the same. This is the one sole feature that my iPhone does better.
    I doubt if anyone is working on such an app. AOL is a dinosaur as an email provider. http://litmus.com/resources/email-client-stats

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    Last edited by lak611; 05-20-11 at 03:29 PM.
    howarmat likes this.
    05-20-11 03:21 PM
    it is not the greatness of Apple but Microsoft who made Active-sync and that is how you are accessing email
    05-20-11 04:39 PM
    If you need folders on a blackberry try Logicmail, it's free and works great and doesn't even need a blackberry data plan to work, just a regular data plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-11 02:51 PM
    This thread contains neither news or rumors. Greg, as an experienced CB member, you certainly should be aware of the rules about not starting new threads when you can search for an existing older one.

Thank you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-11 04:09 PM
    This is mainly a function - or lack of function - of the notification methods in IMAP.

I could also suggest that many users actively *don't want* the ridiculous data overheads which would be generated by aggressive searching through lower level folders on each re-synch to catch up after moving messages from a PC platform. The current implementation is a much more efficient once-only transmission of each new message.
    05-28-11 04:25 PM
    If you use Gmail, you have the ability to sort your email into folders by labeling each email on the Blackberry.

In terms of access to your folders, the mail search function on the Blackberry (when using Gmail) is incredibly fast. You can search old emails on the device as well as on the Gmail servers.
    05-28-11 10:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD