I only get one bar on wi fi in my room (old house). Is it worth me having the wi fi handset instead of the 8310? No Edge or 3G where I live, so wd be nice to use it on wi fi at home. Vodafone only have 8310 (UK) with OK tariff. Orange only have 8320 (crap tariff). So if wi fi no good, might as well get 8310 on Voda and be very patient with downloads. Basically - is the wi fi any good? And is it any good without a strong signal? Thanks in anticipation. any yes - Blackberry is taking off in rural England!
    07-15-08 11:21 AM
    The wifi is pretty good, in fact its the main reason I got the phone. I suggest you download opera Mini. That browser is amazing, though it does have its little hiccups.
    However, if you are not in areas were wifi is currently available, its probably not the phone for you. I got mine because I'm always around wifi(Home,School, coffee shops,etc...). So it all depends, well, good luck on your choice.
    07-15-08 11:31 AM
    Thanks! Erm what's Opera Mini? I am SO ignorant. Reckon wi fi would be worth having (free access on trains now).
    07-15-08 11:39 AM
    i get really good signal at my house.. plus where i can pickup signal from unsecured WIFI.. i was able to get good signal..
    07-15-08 11:41 AM
    I will have answers later today as my hispeed wifi internet installer is coming this afternoon. My provider, T-Mobile, allows free calling minutes over wifi. It seems to me that if you don't have edge or anything, you'd want to use wifi. Maybe you'd have better success with a better router.

There will be people on today far more knowledgeable than I, like my friend Mac. I'm sure he will be along soon. He also has very good wifi instructions on this site.

Opera Mini is a third party browser application. It works pretty well, and you can find it with a google search. It downloads and installs well. I find that I usually use the BB browser most of the time. But if I want to see all of the information on a web page, I use Opera Mini.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-08 11:54 AM
    That was really helpful - thanks a lot. Yes should do something about the wireless router, but am such a useless technical type - will have to negotiate with my housemate who set up the the wi fi but doesn't speak English that well! Oh life is so interesting!
    07-15-08 12:01 PM
    No English?! That must be interesting. One of my employees is from England, and he says we don't speak English in the U.S. either, lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-08 12:06 PM
    I have had mixed experiences with my 8320 - it works very well at home with my wireless-N router, but I have had trouble at other places with severe call droppage. A relative of mine has a wireless modem from Verizon (DSL service), which my phone finds well and can use while browsing, but I cannot be on a call longer than 30 seconds (averages 8-10 seconds) without it dropping me. I am sure there is some setting for the wireless modem that would fix the problem, but I am afraid to fiddle around with it and find out. Otherwise, calls are a bit more static-y than normal, but given that wireless calls are free with T-Mobile, I am willing to put up with it. I am happy with the Wi-Fi option, and it is easy to turn the antenna on and off as needed. Now, if the Curve just had both Wi-Fi and a GPS receiver...
    07-15-08 12:35 PM
    Do you use WPA-2 or WEP? I can't get WPA-2 to work on my Curve (even though others seem to have no trouble) and it's driving me crazy.
    07-15-08 04:47 PM
    Do you use WPA-2 or WEP? I can't get WPA-2 to work on my Curve (even though others seem to have no trouble) and it's driving me crazy.
    WPA2 Personal... Enterprise will not work so well

It should be the same process as WEP, literally. You pick a passphrase and set it up on the router. Then enter the passphrase on your Berry and any other WiFi devices that you need to connect!
    07-15-08 04:56 PM
    The following link is a video demonstration: BlackBerry 8320 Wi-Fi vs. BlackBerry 8300 EDGE speed test : Boy Genius Report

This should give you an idea of what you will be working with.
    07-15-08 05:52 PM
    The following link is a video demonstration: BlackBerry 8320 Wi-Fi vs. BlackBerry 8300 EDGE speed test : Boy Genius Report

This should give you an idea of what you will be working with.
    The ironic thing is that you have an 8310... and you are posting videos on how WiFi is slower than EDGE.

This is true under some circumstances, but not under others. This is all dependent on your EDGE signal quality, WiFi quality, router settings, ISP (internet service provider), the site survey and interference, etc.

Although the video may show WiFi being slower than EDGE, there are plenty of circumstances where it is the other way around. To be honest, they are about even... and it is personal preference. I urge you to play around with your Berry in your location and see which one works best in your situation!
    07-15-08 06:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD