RIM makes a part of the BIS/BES data plan from the carriers as I understand it. This makes sense why they disable normal data.
    07-19-11 10:09 AM
    Hi,

Just want to asked why is that i cannot update firmware if i used Desktop manager version 6?
    07-20-11 07:00 AM
    Google-Apps do not work for me here in Germany. With OS5 yes. With OS6 no. Only for a couple of hours after each Reboot. Then you run into the "No Network connection"-problem. Only the native browser works for me. No other Apps that use TCP, WiFi, WAP....
    I am having the same problem. I decided to get rid of my BIS plan, and now I'm only relying on my carrier data-plan (1 GB per month included). I've tried some different Service Books packs that I found, even carrier-specific for Wind Italy, which is my one.

What happens is I re-boot the phone, EDGE or GPRS is written in caps, as if BIS was connected (but obviously that's not true). After a while, the caps are gone (so I only read "gprs" or "edge") and gMail or Google Maps are no longer working. What is still working is the BB native browser, as well as Bolt Browser. But I can't manage to make gmail work.

I read on the internet some people which are able to use gmail just without BIS, and some who need the "service book"-trick. But I can't do it anyway.

Could it be because gmail only accepts 3G connections?
    07-28-11 03:31 AM
    Text uses data?? Since when?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

I was wondering the same thing.

07-28-11 08:21 AM
    If I'm kicking a dead horse here, my apologies.
    I'm new to all this, been reading a few (hundred?) posts, and just need some clarification. Please feel free to correct/guide me as needed. and spelling out what certain things are would be appreciated.

I've had a tmobile prepaid VOICE ONLY (no data) account for years using a motorola rizr phone which recently the SEND key stopped working.

I bought a 8900 off of craigslist which the sell had unlocked (as she told me it was her husband's work one at one time).
    I tossed in my tmobile SIM card and I'm able to make phone calls - no problem.

From looking on the back of the phone it says "AT&T", as does the browser's splash screen.

When I got home I setup WIFI and I'm able to use the browser to get to google, YouTube, BB AppWorld, etc.

Now, I want to setup MESSENGER to be able to use it as an IMAP Email client, but it only has the BB ENTERPRISE option available.

I only want to be able to use IMAP email via WIFI, not any data services:
    Hit a hotspot, download/send new email, work offline, mostly because people will send me their address/phone number and I'll have it handy, of if they send me an spreadsheet I can use the built in XLS viewer easily.

This is all for personal use, no work, no enterprise, nada.

I'm on a Mac, but can use a XP box if needed.
    OS is v5.0 bundle 1728

I followed the /resettofactory command line instructions here:
    http :// btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB17 215#macresettofactory

Under: SETTINGS > OPTIONS > ADVANCED OPTIONS > DEFAULT SERVICES is blank.

So, if there are any "IT Policies", they are not listed in the above section, if I should be looking elsewhere, please let me know where exactly.

I tried calling tmobile and rim, they say that you can't use messenger for email without a data plan.
    Well, I can surf the web no problem, and I'm not trying to steal services, just use the built in email client instead of a web based email client all via wifi.

If there is a 3rd party IMAP email client, that would work too.
    Though just having the built-in functionality back would be nice.

I'm happy to blow away the 8900 if needed, just don't want to go through all that if it's not going to do what I want.

Oh, I'd like to be able to use BB Maps or Google Maps if at all possible, if nothing more than to say "You Are Here" while I'm at a hotspot.

Under: SETTINGS > OPTIONS > ADVANCED OPTIONS > MAPS >DEFAULT SERVICE is set to NONE, and won't let me change that. FIREWALL is completely disabled fwiw (no red marks as some have mentioned having).

Under: SETTINGS > OPTIONS > SECURITY OPTIONS > INFORMATION > SERVICES it says "***no services***".

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions would be appreciate.
    I just want to access a few IMAP email accounts via WIFI, not data plan.
    Last edited by jymmm; 11-07-11 at 02:10 PM.
    11-07-11 01:42 PM
    Any thoughts/comments/suggestions would be appreciate.
    I just want to access a few IMAP email accounts via WIFI, not data plan.
    You need a different phone.
    11-07-11 08:30 PM
    You need a different phone.
    Seriously? If you don't know just don't give advice, Logicmail provides what the user asked for.
    Next time please refrain from giving advice.

www.logicmail.org

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 11-08-11 at 04:43 AM.
    11-08-11 01:37 AM
    Logicmail provides what the user asked for.

logicmail.org - LogicMail for BlackBerry
    Hey belfastdispatcher,

That was EXACTLY what I was looking for, TYVM!!!

Works very well for what I need.
    11-09-11 11:28 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD