So!

I am aiming to help out anyone looking for this info, it was frustrating for me and my mates, I am hoping the Google stats will help spread the word and the word is all in 1 post, I am also hoping for perhaps some clarification.

Basically, how to enable features on your blackberry with out an official blackberry dataplan, an example would be a pre-paid sim card with a regular data plan.

I am also including a list of official Google Mobile Apps that work for free, with out any extra costs and or blackberry services.

For some reason, RIM decided to remove the WAN/3G/GPRS features from the default browser once you don�t have an official data plan, that is to say, the default browser will work, but ONLY via WIFI, I only know this to be true with OS4 to OS5 and BB�s 8300 to 9000, I have no experience with any of the other phones, however, I have found no proof that states I am breaching any end user agreement by changing the configuration of the browser on my phone?

Also, we are not using or going to use nor can we use RIMS paid services.
    So we are not stealing anything here, that said, perhaps I am wrong, do I care?
    Not really�But I would like to know if I am wrong, Facts though only please?

We have tested a few apps which seem to be in dispute as to whether they work or not with out an official BB dataplan, these apps are:
    Google mail, Google maps, Opera Mini, Google search + voice search , Google Sync, Google Talk w/ Jabber + a bunch more will work with out RIMS services, initial install for these apps can be done with out this hack via WIFI and if needed then via APN, but installing this hack just makes life a lot easier and even cheaper for some of us.

My last few tips for the lost:
    You can still upgrade your OS if you have an �older� model and no RIM plan, via Desktop manager, version 4 or 5 only! 6 will not work, if anyone needs more info on this, comment and I shall respond when I have time.
    I also advise finding and downloading JL_Commander for BB, it�s great for removing IT policies and more.

Here is a �hack� to enable your browser to function on both WIFI and WAN/3G/GPRS, while also enabling OTA installs and more features such as Google search with GPS location integration from Google maps, etc. etc. etc.

Follow these steps to do it:

First we need to enable legacy restore mode. To do that:
    � Go to Options > Advanced Options > Service Book.
    � For QWERTY models hold ALT and press 'S' 'B' 'E' 'B''. For Sure-type (1/2 qwerty) models hold ALT and press 'S' 'S' 'B' 'E' 'B' & for touch screen models hold [!?123] until it show lock icon and press 4 ? 2 ? - means ALT 'S' 'B' 'E' 'B'.
    � You will then see the message "Legacy SB Restore Enable".
    After that you are free to backup/Restore Service Book on your BlackBerry.

Now download this file: hxxp://box.net/shared/j6lp6cii8g
    It is a backup file(.ipd) which can be used to restore a specific service book. Now follow these steps
    � Open Blackberry Desktop Manager.
    � Select Backup and Restore, you will see main options, as follows:
    � Click Advanced button. In Advanced option, click File. A drop down menu appears and then click Open. Now select the backup file that we downloaded.
    � Then select Service Book at the left column and click '>>' button.
    � After that, disconnect the phone from the PC and then go to Options > Advanced Options > Service book on your phone. And make sure there is Service Book with name 'Browser Config [BrowserConfig]' is there.
    � Now you have to configure the browser to use this Service book. To do goto Options > Advanced Options > Browser and check if 'Browser' is selected as shown in the image below.
    � Now go to your Blackberry Desktop. Voila.... there is your Browser icon.
    � Next step is that you need Access Point in Options > Advanced Options > TCP. Fill those fields. If you don't have those info's, contact your service provider and ask them.
    � Restart your phone and run Browser. Enjoy your new freedom. To install AppWorld, goto hxxp://blackberry.com/appworld/download from your Blackberry Browser.
    Troubleshooting:
    � If you see the Browser icon, You have Service Book on your phone. If the Browser doesn�t work, go to Options > Advanced Options > Browser and check if 'Browser' is selected. Then back to Home and try Browser again. with some lucky it will work
    � If your BlackBerry have IT-Policy. Try to remove IT-Policy first and then Enable Browser.
    � If you are still stuck somewhere, try reinstalling the Blackberry OS (Upgrade or Downgrade) then retry this hack.

Many thanks to Anworm for the browser �hack�

Please share the info!

On a more personal note, I think its strange behavior from RIM to remove such basic functions from a phone if you do not have an official BB dataplan, not enough we bought the phone?...what about the 2nd hand market? Or young kids? Should they pay for something that�s free for every other smartphone out there? Should BB users in general be forced to go thru this just to be able to use free Google apps!?
    I am done
    06-14-11 08:38 PM
    This is pretty cool and I would like to give it a try. But I asked Verizon once before if I could activate the phone only without a data plan and I was told that you had to have both. Possibly it is a Verizon thing.

p.s. I know there any many of you will say what good is a BB without activating data but at the time I needed to trim by Verizon bill and cutting data would eliminate about $30 monthly. Since I already had the BB and no issues with the phone why go out and buy a non-bb phone. However, as I said I was told there is no option?
    06-15-11 07:51 PM
    To the OP, perhaps you are not using RIM's services, but you ARE using some phone company's data services, except if you are using Wi-Fi. So, technically, if you are using data on your phone, if you aren't paying for it you ARE stealing it. (I see where you are coming from with the RIM services, though I don't necessarily agree with you.)

As for mwy's question, I am wondering if the OP's method works for CDMA phones?
    06-15-11 09:10 PM
    You won't be able to use RIM services without a BIS plan because you're not only using your carrier's servers. All messages etc. are routed through your carrier and then through RIM's NOCs so you are paying to use Rim's resources. And your messages (in particular BBMs and photo attachments) and info are protected by their security protocols.

If you don't pay then the data package for Rim then the only data you will have is wi-fi access and carrier access to sites that's generally available. And you can text on your phone.

Some carrier will offer a BB/Data and voice package all tied up and you get unlimited access to social networking and BBM and then a small data package will you can use to do just your texting on.
    Last edited by Snick Snack; 06-16-11 at 11:11 AM.
    06-16-11 11:08 AM
    Some carrier will offer a BB/Data and voice package all tied up and you get unlimited access to social networking and BBM and then a small data package will you can use to do just your texting on.
    The Social plans are only in Canada, sadly.
    06-16-11 11:29 AM
    The Social plans are only in Canada, sadly.
    Really!! That totally sucks! I thought the US had cheaper plans then we do!
    06-16-11 07:47 PM
    I have 500mb of Data usage plus BIS services as well so which am i using for what? i thought the BIS was for my pushed emails and BBM and the 500mb Data which is from Vodafone was for my web browsing, Youtube, Facebook etc
    06-16-11 08:06 PM
    I have 500mb of Data usage plus BIS services as well so which am i using for what? i thought the BIS was for my pushed emails and BBM and the 500mb Data which is from Vodafone was for my web browsing, Youtube, Facebook etc
    Data is data technically. But in Canada with a Data/BB plan they add in BBM and unlimited access to FB and My Space, Flckr etc. at no extra charge to your data. So if you aren't a heavy email user you can use up all 500 mb data on texts and web browsing and not worry about chewing into that data as well if you heavily use BBM and FB.
    06-16-11 11:08 PM
    Data is data technically. But in Canada with a Data/BB plan they add in BBM and unlimited access to FB and My Space, Flckr etc. at no extra charge to your data. So if you aren't a heavy email user you can use up all 500 mb data on texts and web browsing and not worry about chewing into that data as well if you heavily use BBM and FB.

Text uses data?? Since when?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-11 03:25 AM
    To the OP, perhaps you are not using RIM's services, but you ARE using some phone company's data services, except if you are using Wi-Fi. So, technically, if you are using data on your phone, if you aren't paying for it you ARE stealing it. (I see where you are coming from with the RIM services, though I don't necessarily agree with you.)

As for mwy's question, I am wondering if the OP's method works for CDMA phones?
    Of course one would still be paying for data usage with this setup, just not to RIM, as I said, regular data plan, paid for.

@BerryWriter
    I agree with you in principle, in UK we have a BB plan, its cheap!
    But Belgium for example is 30-50EUR minimum a month and very limited, so are the Belgiums ISP's btw! we have 3 phones, that would be 150EUR a month to use the free Google apps!?
    Last edited by HATEPOLICY; 06-17-11 at 08:09 AM.
    06-17-11 07:40 AM
    This is pretty cool and I would like to give it a try. But I asked Verizon once before if I could activate the phone only without a data plan and I was told that you had to have both. Possibly it is a Verizon thing.

p.s. I know there any many of you will say what good is a BB without activating data but at the time I needed to trim by Verizon bill and cutting data would eliminate about $30 monthly. Since I already had the BB and no issues with the phone why go out and buy a non-bb phone. However, as I said I was told there is no option?
    If your phone is locked to Verizon, then you 1st need to unlock it, then you can just use a new sim with what ever carrier you want and with what ever data plan you want.
    06-17-11 08:07 AM
    I don't know how but I followed this guide on my OS 6 9300 and it worked. I can use my regular data plan with the built in browser without Wifi now! Thank you so much!
    06-23-11 09:49 PM
    Nice to know it works on OS6 and a 9300 also!
    06-30-11 01:02 AM
    IMHO, if you can't afford a BIS plan you can't afford a Blackberry.
    There is on BIS plan on prepaird SIM cards - at least not in Germany.
    So I could afford a BIS plan but can't get one.
    Besides, Blackberry is still a great phone and for me the best Phone I ever had
    06-30-11 01:32 AM
    Any one know how to use facebook and twitter latest apps without data plan. Or edit or crack them to do so. I tried some tricks fot twitter that worked but not much longer it asked for ippp service book

07-06-11 01:44 AM
    There is on BIS plan on prepaird SIM cards - at least not in Germany.
    So I could afford a BIS plan but can't get one.
    Besides, Blackberry is still a great phone and for me the best Phone I ever had
    Unfortunately, if you can't use BIS you really are better finding a different phone. The BIS dependency is one of the most annoying things about BB and the main reason I am considering switching.
    07-06-11 09:42 AM
    So!

Basically, how to enable features on your blackberry with out an official blackberry dataplan, an example would be a pre-paid sim card with a regular data plan.

One question - does this fully work for stuff even like FaceBook ? (which is hard coded to be BIS / BES ONLY - no WIFI at all)

Google Maps, Google Email apps are both 3G or BIS / BES too, no WIFI :/
    07-10-11 08:56 AM
    Unfortunately, if you can't use BIS you really are better finding a different phone. The BIS dependency is one of the most annoying things about BB and the main reason I am considering switching.
    The point in BIS is the security it provides. If that's not your bag, you should go to another platform. I think you'll find though, most carriers will charge you more overal for any other device. They use much more data to perform the same function, which is the other significant reason for BIS.

I'll let this ride for now, for one reason only. It's not enabling anyone to steal data, or use RIM services through a back door. I will give ya'll a strong piece of advice. Use this at your own risk. Your carrier will most likely find out you have a BlackBerry, and will come after you for the data plan charges you've avoided.
    07-10-11 11:01 PM
    The point in BIS is the security it provides. If that's not your bag, you should go to another platform.
    But serioulsy: Why? I mean they could let everything work with a Standard Data Plan and in case you value security you could book BIS.
    But I don't really need securtiy for reading my Twitter Feeds

In addition: I love my Berry. I am using mobile sites even so this sucks as compared to decent apps because aside from the BES/BIS-stuff the Berry is the best phone I ever had.
    07-11-11 01:13 AM
    The point in BIS is the security it provides. If that's not your bag, you should go to another platform. I think you'll find though, most carriers will charge you more overal for any other device. They use much more data to perform the same function, which is the other significant reason for BIS.

I'll let this ride for now, for one reason only. It's not enabling anyone to steal data, or use RIM services through a back door. I will give ya'll a strong piece of advice. Use this at your own risk. Your carrier will most likely find out you have a BlackBerry, and will come after you for the data plan charges you've avoided.
    I see BIS more as a RIM tax. You want to use a BB as you personal device, you have to put up with and pay for BIS. The problem with other platforms is the only one which has a phone with a front facing Querty keyboard is Symbian and that platform is preety much dead at this point.

07-11-11 06:54 AM
    But serioulsy: Why? I mean they could let everything work with a Standard Data Plan and in case you value security you could book BIS.
    But I don't really need securtiy for reading my Twitter Feeds

In addition: I love my Berry. I am using mobile sites even so this sucks as compared to decent apps because aside from the BES/BIS-stuff the Berry is the best phone I ever had.
    It's not only security for you, it's security for Rim too, if they allowed that they could get hacked, infected etc especially with the latest public hacks.
    No matter how you look at it data costs money, in UK is �5 a month and you get 500mb if you have a BB or Android, I know for sure 500mb on my BB goes a longer way, maybe even to the equivalent of 1.5GB

07-11-11 07:40 AM
    Your carrier will most likely find out you have a BlackBerry, and will come after you for the data plan charges you've avoided.
    I very much doubt that, you are paying for what you use here, which is data.
    I know people using BB's with out RIM for years, via the Opera Browser, which allows to surf and do A LOT with out the BB's def. browser...at least here in EU, I have never heard of any carrier troubles.

Also don't forget the 2nd hand market, many of which never get BIS and many of which use prepaid cards, again, as long as you pay for data, no problem.
    Its the same case with ISP's here in EU really, not to mention the p2p concern.

@ Wizzbang3
    Yes you can use Gmail, Gmaps, Gsearch etc etc, these have all been tested.
    I have no idea for Facebook, I do not Facebook myself, but I see no reason why not, its a VERY simple app.

As simple as it sounds, the only configuration changed for all these apps to work, is switching the default BB browser from WIFI ONLY to both WIFI and WAN and on that basis I thinks its poor behavior from RIM or any carrier to try and force you to pay extra for something that is free for any other phone or platform out there!

Google Apps are FREE,
    YOUR data is yours to do as you please with, at least i think so.

Cheers,
    H.
    Last edited by HATEPOLICY; 07-18-11 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Forgot something
    07-18-11 06:30 AM
    Google-Apps do not work for me here in Germany. With OS5 yes. With OS6 no. Only for a couple of hours after each Reboot. Then you run into the "No Network connection"-problem. Only the native browser works for me. No other Apps that use TCP, WiFi, WAP....
    07-18-11 09:14 AM
    please could you help me to solve my issue . my service provider are blocking the HTML options on the data plan(BIS) and those dont appear on my BB , so how can I enable them ??
    to let you know i'm using bold 9780 and my service provider in middle east
    07-19-11 08:09 AM
    please could you help me to solve my issue . my service provider are blocking the HTML options on the data plan(BIS) and those dont appear on my BB , so how can I enable them ??
    to let you know i'm using bold 9780 and my service provider in middle east
    Err... Write a polite letter to your service provider and request they unblock the HTML options?
    07-19-11 09:39 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD