How exactly does WiFi drain the battery faster than EVDO? My WiFi router is only a few feet away, verse the cellphone tower which is a few blocks away. If I plan to stream music, wouldn't it be more battery efficient to use WiFi which will get a better signal from a closer location?

I was under the impression that the less signal bars you have, the more your phone has to work to transmit. So being right next to the router should allow the phone to get all the data it needs without download data from blocks away. Right?

Then again, when WiFi is on, there are two radios running. However most (if not all) of the bandwidth pull will be from WiFi leaving the EVDO pretty dormant from what'd I expect.
    09-14-09 09:51 PM
    WIFI is having an extra feature running on your phone

so your running your EVDO network and your WIFI network so it will drain battery faster because both are in use at the same time, unless you turn off your EVDO network....

atleast thats what i think
    09-14-09 09:54 PM
    How exactly does WiFi drain the battery faster than EVDO? My WiFi router is only a few feet away, verse the cellphone tower which is a few blocks away. If I plan to stream music, wouldn't it be more battery efficient to use WiFi which will get a better signal from a closer location?

I was under the impression that the less signal bars you have, the more your phone has to work to transmit. So being right next to the router should allow the phone to get all the data it needs without download data from blocks away. Right?

Then again, when WiFi is on, there are two radios running. However most (if not all) of the bandwidth pull will be from WiFi leaving the EVDO pretty dormant from what'd I expect.
    Niet. Not all data goes over WIFI when it's on.
    09-14-09 10:27 PM
    WiFi is another program running. Turn on a Twitter or FaceBook app that is set to continuous update and see how long the battery lasts. It doesn't
    09-15-09 07:38 AM
    EVDO: Further distance, slower speed

Wifi: Closer distance, faster speed

Remember even though your closer, your phone will be handling much more data through wifi than it will be through EVDO, combined with the fact you have both radio's running it is a no brainer your battery will drain quicker.
    09-15-09 08:16 AM
    Okay here's my $.2... I've been using blackberry's with wifi for a long time now, and absolutely love having wifi. You're not going to see a significant difference between wifi on, and wifi off. If you're really that concerned about wifi destroying your battery (which it wont do) you can turn it off until you need it. But not having that option on a smart phone is stupid now days.
    09-15-09 08:26 AM
    That's exactly what I was going to say. With wi-fi your phone is handling higher data connectivity...it's almost like comparing dial-up to dsl. If you're worried about draining the battery, just turn the wi-fi off. Honestly, if you're in a 3G area, then there's not much difference. Just use it when you need it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-09 08:37 AM
    the bad thing is that the storm 2 has the same size battery as storm 1. now with wifi on storm 2, the battery will be dead way before the day is up
    09-15-09 08:53 AM
    Okay here's my $.2... I've been using blackberry's with wifi for a long time now, and absolutely love having wifi. You're not going to see a significant difference between wifi on, and wifi off. If you're really that concerned about wifi destroying your battery (which it wont do) you can turn it off until you need it. But not having that option on a smart phone is stupid now days.
    I agree with this, and I say has to be more about the network/carrier technology then just another radio. I had a curve 8900 with wi-fi on tmo, and had wi-fi on 24/7 never turned my wifi radio off. I also had way more apps running then I do currently on my Tour because the curve 8900 was very stable so no reboots, or lag. The battery in Curve 8900 is same as Storm 1, Tour and Storm 2, and my curve 8900 with wifi on all the time and doing all regular day to day activities I could easily get a day and a half before I had to recharge. On my tour without wifi get barely a day. I used WI-FI for a good portion of the day also. Just saying.
    09-15-09 10:39 AM
    Yeah - I think CDMA & 3g both use more battery power than EDGE, again more data coming thru at a faster rate
    09-15-09 01:50 PM
    the bad thing is that the storm 2 has the same size battery as storm 1. now with wifi on storm 2, the battery will be dead way before the day is up
    I highly doubt this... there are a lot of other factors involved in battery life, and blackberry is generally very good at maximizing battery life. As I've said above ever since the 8820, I've been using blackberry's with wifi and continue to get wonderful battery life, and I leave the wifi on 24/7.
    09-15-09 02:37 PM
    Thank you guys for all your input. Very helful.

Niet. Not all data goes over WIFI when it's on.
    If I had to guess, steaming music, web browser, and email, will take the path of WiFi (when available). However MMS will always require EVDO, and SMS/voice will always require 1x. Is this correct?

So, for example, if I am in the basement with no Verizon service, I should be able to use the Storm 2 for web browsing, YouTube, email. However I will not receive any picture/video messages along with calls and texts. Correct?
    09-15-09 06:03 PM
    don't need to worry about this. in the future, we will see o.s's that will stabilize battery life even better. there are many more factors that can decrease battery life besides wifi. Therefore, wifi is not the sole reason why blackberry battery diminishes with increased usage.
    09-15-09 06:18 PM
    sometimes my storm seems to run good on battery then the next day its crappy..
    09-15-09 07:05 PM
    i thought there as an option to prefer wifi when available, in essance turning 3g off. I dont think u will have 2 radios going at the same time. Correct me if I'm wrong
    09-15-09 10:25 PM
    Yeah thats how I had my curve 8900 set up. Prefer wifi, so the reg radio was off, and I did data, txt, and voice thru wifi no prob.
    09-16-09 12:37 AM
    I like what you said and hope your right, but $.2 is 20 cents, not 2 cents.... unless your opinion is worth more then anyone else lol
    09-16-09 12:46 AM
    I like what you said and hope your right, but $.2 is 20 cents, not 2 cents.... unless your opinion is worth more then anyone else lol
    Well of course my opinion is more important than everyone elses... DUH...

Er actually I'm an id*ot, thanks for correcting me!
    Last edited by teg94; 09-16-09 at 05:41 AM.
    09-16-09 05:07 AM
    well I feel its the wifi chip or radio that needs power supply, its like the appliances in ure house the more appliances the more electricity that it consumes. makes sense ??
    09-16-09 09:44 AM
    well I feel its the wifi chip or radio that needs power supply, its like the appliances in ure house the more appliances the more electricity that it consumes. makes sense ??
    Yes, what you're saying does make sense, but the additional power requirements are going to be negligible, you will probably not notice the added drain on the battery. Once the phone has a connection to your wifi it does not take much power to maintain that connection. Everybody is making wifi out to be a battery killer, which it most definitely is not. I do not mean to imply that you are making that argument, it's just that I've used plenty of blackberry's from 8300's to 8800's to my current 9000 which have all had wifi and still see EXCELLENT battery life.
    09-16-09 10:37 AM
    Yes, what you're saying does make sense, but the additional power requirements are going to be negligible, you will probably not notice the added drain on the battery. Once the phone has a connection to your wifi it does not take much power to maintain that connection. Everybody is making wifi out to be a battery killer, which it most definitely is not. I do not mean to imply that you are making that argument, it's just that I've used plenty of blackberry's from 8300's to 8800's to my current 9000 which have all had wifi and still see EXCELLENT battery life.
    YEah I second that. Used multiple BBS on WIFI no extra battery drain. Dont no how it will be on CDMA however.
    09-16-09 10:40 AM
    YEah I second that. Used multiple BBS on WIFI no extra battery drain. Dont no how it will be on CDMA however.
    I don't see why it would act any differently on CDMA as opposed to GSM...
    09-16-09 10:49 AM
    well because my tour battery on cdma drains way quicker then my curve 8900 did on GSM
    09-16-09 11:42 AM
    Of course wifi will drain the battery faster... but not that much faster just turn it off when not needed and there -.- problem solved
    09-16-09 12:02 PM
    The reason is because(while surfing) wifi radio is constantly scanning for best channel in order to provide optimum connection frequency there-by your bb is constantly working causing battery draw not to mention your apps and other battering using resources...........................Also downloading will increase draw...............
    Last edited by 21Torque; 09-16-09 at 02:34 PM. Reason: spelling
    09-16-09 02:27 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD