BlackBerry devices are overpriced. I've got a Q, but I bought it at 225 bucks, in pristine condition, here in the marketplace. At the time it was retailing for near 600 outright. That was insane.
    TgeekB and kbz1960 like this.
    04-05-14 07:11 AM
    I don't think anyone is going to argue that the pricing on BlackBerry devices isn't too high
    smart548, eldricho and kbz1960 like this.
    04-05-14 07:16 AM
    BlackBerry devices are overpriced. I've got a Q, but I bought it at 225 bucks, in pristine condition, here in the marketplace. At the time it was retailing for near 600 outright. That was insane.
    If by going by CGK's logic, by the measure that you were willing to fork out to buy it, it wasn't overpriced.

Unless...

Buyer's remorse?

*click click*
    BUYR
    *click click*
    04-05-14 07:21 AM
    If by going by CGK's logic, by the measure that you were willing to fork out to buy it, it wasn't overpriced.

Unless...

Buyer's remorse?

*click click*
    BUYR
    *click click*
    Well she bought it at $225, so she didn't overpay.
    kbz1960 and CollBERRY like this.
    04-05-14 07:24 AM
    Chen is changing the pricing don't you all noticed?

? Slicing using my ?
    04-05-14 07:26 AM
    Apple products are overpriced even if a lot of people are buying them. You know, it's like for everything else: it happened to me to buy a t-shirt ~40$ and even if I did know it was overpriced I bought it because I wanted it. All big names are and will always overpricing their products because people actually buy them! BlackBerry isn't selling as well as expected and so they are now trying to reduce the prices.. Anyway I still believe that with a good marketing campaign BlackBerry could have sell 10 times more even asking 800 dollars for a Z10 or a Q10.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 07:33 AM
    OP, you make nothing but a valid point. Same thing in my opinion with the Nexus 5. I don't know squat however about business management or what the real story is, like how high BB's profit metric per device is supposed to be. I have often wondered if a lower price per device would be more profitable by them in turn selling in greater volume, but that "premium" factor we've always had, is it just marketing?
    04-05-14 07:35 AM
    Companies like OPPO are given people the incentive to switch, they provide top of the line hardware at fair prices

This is where I finally stopped reading your rant. What do you consider "fair" here? Oppo is an 100% Chinese OEM. Meaning it not only manufactures the devices in China (benefiting from lower labor costs), but the entire company is sitting and operating there. And the devices themselves aim at a core market of 1.5B Chinese people, which gives them a huge scale from the beginning. Sorry pal but his entire thing is a complete different story and we simply don't know what's fair or unfair.
    badiyee likes this.
    04-05-14 07:38 AM
    Agree. While I have been curious to try one out, there was no way I was paying that much. Got mine for $230. Finally I pulled the trigger.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    04-05-14 07:50 AM
    The market has a good way of telling us if something is overpriced - it doesn't sell - Apple devices are very clearly not overpriced.
    Just because something is overpriced doesn't mean it won't sell. Mercedes Benz, Lexus, BMW are all over priced but they still sell. As a matter of fact I know they are overpriced but still continue to buy one of those cars. It's called Brand Loyalty.
    NinjaB and smart548 like this.
    04-05-14 07:54 AM
    Seriously, the OPPO sure looks real good. Like I have been saying again and again, BlackBerry has to up its game and price the phones right if they want remain relevant in the device market.
    04-05-14 07:57 AM
    For some reason I wish to make a counter argument that the worth-buying low-end smartphones from BlackBerry aren't being mentioned yet, despite a proper vis-a-vis comparison, like the q5 to HTC cha cha, but I digress.

Value hunters are of a different market. What opportunities and Xiaomi are banking in isn't at the hardware level. They make very little to no profit from there.

Posted via CB on BB10
    FYI .... Xiaomi shipped more than 11 million devices in the first quarter of this year. Bulk of it is their Hongmi ~usd130 and the high end Mi3 ~usd200.
    04-05-14 07:59 AM
    This is where I finally stopped reading your rant. What do you consider "fair" here? Oppo is an 100% Chinese OEM. Meaning it not only manufactures the devices in China (benefiting from lower labor costs), but the entire company is sitting and operating there. And the devices themselves aim at a core market of 1.5B Chinese people, which gives them a huge scale from the beginning. Sorry pal but his entire thing is a complete different story and we simply don't know what's fair or unfair.
    The devices they make are available worldwide through their online store. BlackBerry devices are made in Mexico, Canada, etc... and now even at Foxconn. The low labor costs in China while I agree are beneficial are also found in Mexico.

You don't sell a $250 device for $800 if you are struggling to stay relevant. This is my point.

BlackBerry failed at pricing with the Z10 and Q10 and dare I say Z30... They bring basic mid-end hardware with premium prices to a market with high-end hardware and premium prices.

It's normal for a company to take a profit and I'm all for it but the situation at the time of the release of the Z10 and Q10 didn't allow it. They went ahead anyway...

I'm not dissing BlackBerry or their phones or flogging other phones by other OEM's. I'm just saying that they need to develop a realistic pricing scheme considering all factors (build costs, hardware costs, software costs,...) in accordance to what the market dictates.

There's a reason they can't keep the Z10 on shelves in India and it's not because they started a marketing campaign.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 07:59 AM

Unless...

Buyer's remorse?

*click click*
    BUYR
    *click click*
    No that is not my logic (it is Basic market theory that anyone first year management student learns so I am saying nothing novel), I am not talking about and never talk about individual preference - I am taking about volume - what an individual does tells us nothing - which is why every 'I harassed a guy in a public toilet and he promised to get a bb10 device' we see here is worth less than nothing and never results in anything meaningful in sales when we see quarterly earnings reports.
    04-05-14 08:08 AM
    FYI .... Xiaomi shipped more than 11 million devices in the first quarter of this year. Bulk of it is their Hongmi ~usd130 and the high end Mi3 ~usd200.
    Which is why exactly I used the company as a reference about bargain hunters.

Posted via CB on BB10
    04-05-14 08:14 AM
    No that is not my logic (it is Basic market theory that anyone first year management student learns so I am saying nothing novel), I am not talking about and never talk about individual preference - I am taking about volume - what an individual does tells us nothing - which is why every 'I harassed a guy in a public toilet and he promised to get a bb10 device' we see here is worth less than nothing and never results in anything meaningful in sales when we see quarterly earnings reports.
    Yes, but it is also within parameters that if the demand is there and people buy that, it would not be considered overpriced because the demand is there, no matter how subjectively overpriced.

Posted via CB on BB10
    04-05-14 08:16 AM
    So where is phone arena getting their specs info from?
    The specs from Find 7a Midnight (US Version) - OppoStyle

Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 MSM8974AB Quad-core 2.3GHz
    Screen 5.5 inch LTPS with Corning Gorilla Glass 3
    1080x1920 FULL HD
    403 PPI
    Memory ROM: 16GB eMMC5.0 ROM
    RAM: 2GB LPDDR3 1866MHz
    TF Card reader: Up to 128GB

My bad
    So wait.... there was a Find 5 , 7a and 7
    04-05-14 08:17 AM
    Yes, but it is also within parameters that if the demand is there and people buy that, it would not be considered overpriced because the demand is there, no matter how subjectively overpriced.

Posted via CB on BB10
    Expect products don't exist in a vacuum - bb10 underperforms in its market and for its intended audience.

sent from my bright red Nexus 5
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-05-14 08:19 AM

Screen5.5 inch LTPS with Corning Gorilla Glass 3
    1080x1920 FULL HD
    403 PPI
    MemoryROM: 16GB eMMC5.0 ROM
    They have individual contributors that later gets vetted out. Even with z10 the info was like that until the stl-2s got vetted.

Posted via CB on BB10
    04-05-14 08:19 AM
    Expect products don't exist in a vacuum - bb10 underperforms in its market and for its intended audience.

sent from my bright red Nexus 5
    But by that theory, if you are willing to pay for it, it is underpriced still stands. As long as there is a demand. So it becomes subjective to being desirable, or not.

To which back to the original post I quote, buyers remorse?

Posted via CB on BB10
    04-05-14 08:21 AM

Screen 5.5 inch LTPS with Corning Gorilla Glass 3
    1080x1920 FULL HD
    403 PPI
    Memory ROM: 16GB eMMC5.0 ROM

My bad
    So wait.... there was a Find 5 , 7a and 7
    They have individual contributors that later gets vetted out. Even with z10 the info was like that until the stl-2s got vetted.

Posted via CB on BB10
    As discussed in the video the 7 is the high-end version while the 7a is the 'light high-end version'. => comparison of both version here: https://en.oppo.com/products/find7/#find7-specs
    04-05-14 08:23 AM
    As discussed in the video the 7 is the high-end version while the 7a is the 'light high-end version'. => comparison of both version here: https://en.oppo.com/products/find7/#find7-specs
    Yes. Unless I read wrongly or interpreted the earlier quote wrongly?

Posted via CB on BB10
    04-05-14 08:38 AM
    Yup, caught that sry .thanks for the link
    So whats the price for the 7 qHd $599+?

To your point, yes its amazing the value you get for your money. A year later and your getting 2x the phone for around the same price or less
    04-05-14 08:43 AM
    Apparently OPPO sell their products directly to customers online. That cuts the cost in many many places. I wonder how they provide support to their products.

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.2141
    smart548 likes this.
    04-05-14 08:46 AM
    Xiaomi operates in the same business model and sells premium phones at very competitive prices. Too bad that they are all android phones.

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.2141
    04-05-14 08:48 AM
136 1234 ...