Hey everyone.

I recently found out that Rogers is offering unlimited local wifi calling with its Student Plan for $40/month. I have never been on a WiFi call before. How does it sound? Does it sound like a real phone call?

Also, what is the reliability? Are calls known to get disconnected very easily?

Any advice, comments or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    08-16-10 12:00 AM
    And...(sorry, last question) but how do you know that the call is going through the WiFi and not using up your regular minutes? Is there a setting to make sure that this does not happen?

Thanks
    08-16-10 12:11 AM
    I find no discernible quality difference between Wifi calling and calling over my carrier's network. When you're connected to the Wi-Fi calling, you should see a UMA icon, like this user sees in the upper-right corner of the screen, where the carrier's signal bars normally are:

BBF Link.

If you're worried about not being on the WiFi, you can always disable your carrier's network in Manage Connections.

Alternatively, you can go to Manage Connections, Mobile Network Options.
    Make sure Connection Preference is "Wi-Fi Preferred" or "Wi-Fi Only" (though I don't recommend the second one if you'll be leaving blanket wireless coverage.)

Your carrier is the only one who can tell you if it'll come out of your bucket of minutes. The service sounds similar to T-Mobile US's "@Home" service.
    Hope this helps!
    08-16-10 06:43 PM
    Thanks mitchsurp!
    08-16-10 07:08 PM
    The only discernible difference I've ever noticed with Wi-Fi calls is a tiny decrease in volume when the phone switches from EDGE to UMA.

You'll want to read every bit of the fine print for the calling plan, especially the part that says what they consider "local" calls.
    08-20-10 05:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD