Hi everyone!

I hope my title/question made some sense haha. I am a future blackberry owner who's upgrading from a regular phone to a curve 8320 this weekend (hopefully) but alas, being a broke college student I cannot afford a data plan. Most of my time is spent at home or school where I have free access to WiFi and I'm wondering how exactly the use of wifi is going to affect how things on my phone work. I know I won't have access to BIS and can't get push email service. However, will I be able to set up the email program on my BB to retrieve emails from a gmail account when I launch that app? Or will my only option be to launch the web browser, go to the gmail site, log in, and then read emails? Also, how will it affect 3rd party apps like the facebook app. If I'm logged onto the wifi will it go through the wifi or will it use data, thus costing me extra money since I don't have data?

I know that I'm missing out by not having a data plan but I can't justify the cost especially since I wouldn't use it all that often and I'll have free wifi 95% of the time. Some might ask what the point of a BB without data is. but my primary reason of upgrading to a smartphone was to combine my PDA and phone in one. Since high school I've had a Palm Zire 22 and carrying both that and a phone is annoying for many reasons. I tried out a friend's curve and I LOVED it. Browsing this website has only deepened my desire for a Black Berry. I'm practically addicted already and I haven't even bought one yet!

Anyways, back to the topic at hand: any help will be MUCH appreciated; my fellow berry addicts
    10-02-09 07:11 PM
    I don't think you can get a bb activated without a data plan these days. You should try a search on here, there are many threads that cover this. Good luck
    10-02-09 07:39 PM
    What I'm doing is getting it with the data plan and then cancelling it, which is going to cost me $100. It's still cheaper then paying $40 a month for data, and I'm getting the phone for $80 so the overall cost won't be too bad. I've read some of the other threads but I haven't found an answer to my specific questions.
    10-02-09 07:52 PM
    I welcome you to the CrackBerry Nation!!! Even if your not an owner yet, I know you'll love your berry once you get one! Anyways, yes what rts3k said is true. Currently, you can no longer buy a smart phone w/o data plan. Nor can you cancel a data plan for any reason. This goes for Att as far as I know. It really depends on the carrier you sign with. I'm not sure which one you have in mind, I'm guessing T-mo. I'm not sure what their policy dictates. Just be aware of the contract your about to jump into! As far as your original question goes. It's really hard to answer for many reasons. "How does using WiFi over a Data Plan affect one's use of a BB?" In order to answer that correctly I would have to know exactly how your going to use your BB. Also everyone is different, meaning differnet people use the same model BB's very differently. So, that being said. As far as email, you will most likely have to view thur your browser. 3rd party apps will vary on a "per app" bases. Some apps use BIS, some use WiFi, some use both. Some apps even let you control which to use, BIS or WiFi. Be aware of the apps you install and how they manage data, so you don't get charged.
    10-02-09 08:44 PM
    Yeah the question was way to broad haha. So thanks for the answer, that's what I figured would be the case. I'll just have to be careful with the apps I use I guess. As for cancelling the data plan, I'm in Canada and my carrier is Rogers. Their policy is that if you cancel they charge you $5 for every month left on your contract up to $100. $100 is alot to pay to cancel a service, but I can't afford the $40 a month for data.

But, bottom line is: I can't wait to get my Curve.
    10-02-09 09:46 PM
    OK... Another question will arise here.
    I have my BIS Data Plan w/ a cap of 3mb per month (Etisalat UAE). Now, i tried to connect to the internet over WIFI, disabled my Mobile Network (means no GSM, no EDGE and no Cell phone signal) only WIFI. VOILA! using WIFI only i was able to browse the internet, send and receive all emails which is setup on my curve 8900, BB Messenger is working as well along w/ google talk, and YM... Blackberry Maps work as well. Now, since i have my BIS over WIFI, the question is does my usage of BIS over WIFI accumulate or consume my 3mb cap Data Packages?
    Does RIM relay or tell the data bandwidth you consume to the Local Network Provider or operator you subscribed in? I am sure that once i am connected to the WIFI, the BB device is somewhat connecting to the RIM Network or some sort of VPN connection to RIM network, why i said that? Because i was able to browse the blocked website (such as playboy or nude sites), and using Etisalat's Internet services 3G,ADSL whatever as along as it is Etisalat, those sites are blocked.

Now to conclude, since RIM and Network Operator has an agreement, Doe's either parties, monitors your data consumption over WIFI?

PS
    Im just a newbie with blackberry devices
    10-19-09 12:34 PM
    Hi everyone!

However, will I be able to set up the email program on my BB to retrieve emails from a gmail account when I launch that app? Or will my only option be to launch the web browser, go to the gmail site, log in, and then read emails? Also, how will it affect 3rd party apps like the facebook app. If I'm logged onto the wifi will it go through the wifi or will it use data, thus costing me extra money since I don't have data?
    no without blackberry data plan, you cannot use gmail, facebook, or other IM apps. facebook app is not 3rd party app, it's made by RIM.

however, you can access those sites via wifi/hotspot browser, not as convenient as apps. To pull email from gmail, you can use logicmail.
    10-19-09 06:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD