Customer loyalty crashed to the floor with the Playbook! There is no convincing media outlets that Blackberry is not dead, hell; Jimmy Kimmel used an 8300 series phone In a parody vs. A bb10 device. That sent a signal loudly and clearly that blackberry has not moved beyond that which is considered old and obsolete!

Posted via CB10
    shaleem likes this.
    09-30-16 06:49 PM
    A. Get a competent CEO who does not try to change the company to fit their previous employment experience/s but evolves BB as it was, a mobile manufacturer.

Oppps we may have gone past that turn on a one way dead end road, bloody sat nav!
    Why do not people here understand why the BlackBerry Board hired John Chen? If they thought the future was hardware they would have hired a CEO with hardware experience. They hired John Chen because he had experience in turning around software companies. Now that he has his old Sybase CFO with him, I would guess they are going to start looking for a buyer for BlackBerry. No company was going to buy BB while they were weighted down by a money losing HW division.
    JeepBB, TgeekB, shaleem and 2 others like this.
    10-01-16 01:13 AM
    Sooner or later its going to come to Asia

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    ardakca likes this.
    10-01-16 03:24 AM
    Baring a miracle it seems they will be reduced to a PROFITABLE small app making and truck tracking gadget maker in a few years time.
    I've fixed that for you.

I think you'll find that is the plan. Including of course the Enterprise software.
    10-01-16 04:45 AM
    BlackBerry has built up a considerable portfolio of software because of its foray into Android.

They now have a potential recurring revenue stream from licencing and subscriptions of Android software.

They also have a potential way of monetizing their keyboard patent which was basically useless when tied to BB10 devices.

PRIV STV100-1/AAG191 DTEK50 STH100-1/AAG326 Z30STA100-5/10.3.3.746
    Lol "formidable" ?? Lol!! What did Chen build?? Distrust?? He BOUGHT some security companies that's it!! BlackBerry has BUILT NOTHING under Johnny.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-16 05:40 AM
    I've fixed that for you.

I think you'll find that is the plan. Including of course the Enterprise software.
    Hope so but with BlackBerry out of the handset business I'll assume that the enterprise will completely switch over to Android / IOS who will surely want to provide there own security structure not BlackBerry's.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-16 07:25 AM
    Hope so but with BlackBerry out of the handset business I'll assume that the enterprise will completely switch over to Android / IOS who will surely want to provide there own security structure not BlackBerry's.

Posted via CB10
    That's precisely what's going to happen.

Posted via CB10
    shaleem likes this.
    10-01-16 07:38 AM
    Why do not people here understand why the BlackBerry Board hired John Chen? If they thought the future was hardware they would have hired a CEO with hardware experience. They hired John Chen because he had experience in turning around software companies. Now that he has his old Sybase CFO with him, I would guess they are going to start looking for a buyer for BlackBerry.
    No company shoots itself in a certain segment. They brought him to turn the company around because he succeeded in doing that in Sybase. He just wasn't a hardware guy but a software guy. They thought the problem is with the software (BB10) and maybe he can solve it, which will result in turning the hardware around. Because certainly the problem was in BB10, not bad devices or anything. He wasn't going to design the irresistible phone that makes people forget Apps.

They should've split the hardware division and handed it out to someone else like it's done now. Someone with experience in handsets. The fact they did so now shows you they've realized Chen is a big 0 in hardware.

No company was going to buy BB while they were weighted down by a money losing HW division.
    Why? Its more attractive as an acquisition target when its losing. They can buy it for less $ per share this way. After they complete the acquisition they would shutdown the unprofitable hardware division and it will now longer weigh down on the company. As a result the stock will gain in the following months, as software revenues increase too. Companies always search for other under-performing & undervalued companies to acquire them. A Losing company is appealing if it has what it takes to be profitable. BB has that, you just have to kill the hardware.

The value of the company is seriously undervalued due to everyone identifying BlackBerry as a smartphone manufacturer. (This is why its appealing to buy it with a losing HW division). They can't see beyond that. When he shutdowns the hardware, not only he stops the money draining but he allows people to see the company as its true self, setting the stock to reach its true value.

When the Priv was released, the stock gained substantially in the following months after the initial hype. When people realized it wasn't selling, Well, selling times started and it went back to its pre-priv price. So they cut the hardware loose, scream & shout we're a software company like its propaganda, in order to allow people to see the true value.
    10-01-16 10:12 AM
    Had my Priv on the counter in the shop last night and someone passed a comment 'Is that a Blackberry? I didn't even know they were still around' so...there ya go.
    10-01-16 11:33 AM
    The best known method for silencing the evil voices is to enter the fanboy echo chamber and repeat your favorite rhetoric over and over.
    Well, actually taking your meds has been known to work too

WTS: Software Company
    Item Description: Slightly used software company, a couple leaks in the revenue and user base, but once those are fixed it'd be good as new!
    Price: $5 billion or first offer
    Country Locked or Unlocked?: No Chinese
    Condition: Gently used
    Includes: Patent library, embedded OS, a couple handsets, thousands of irate fanboys
    Item Location: Waterloo, ON
    Payment Options: Cash, stock, debt
    I take issue with the condition description! Interested in a trade? I have a bunch of Nortel and Bre-X shares in a drawer somewhere.....
    DrBoomBotz, JeepBB, TGR1 and 1 others like this.
    10-01-16 11:40 AM
    No company shoots itself in a certain segment. They brought him to turn the company around because he succeeded in doing that in Sybase. He just wasn't a hardware guy but a software guy. They thought the problem is with the software (BB10) and maybe he can solve it, which will result in turning the hardware around. Because certainly the problem was in BB10, not bad devices or anything. He wasn't going to design the irresistible phone that makes people forget Apps.

They should've split the hardware division and handed it out to someone else like it's done now. Someone with experience in handsets. The fact they did so now shows you they've realized Chen is a big 0 in hardware.

Why? Its more attractive as an acquisition target when its losing. They can buy it for less $ per share this way. After they complete the acquisition they would shutdown the unprofitable hardware division and it will now longer weigh down on the company. As a result the stock will gain in the following months, as software revenues increase too. Companies always search for other under-performing & undervalued companies to acquire them. A Losing company is appealing if it has what it takes to be profitable. BB has that, you just have to kill the hardware.

The value of the company is seriously undervalued due to everyone identifying BlackBerry as a smartphone manufacturer. (This is why its appealing to buy it with a losing HW division). They can't see beyond that. When he shutdowns the hardware, not only he stops the money draining but he allows people to see the company as its true self, setting the stock to reach its true value.

When the Priv was released, the stock gained substantially in the following months after the initial hype. When people realized it wasn't selling, Well, selling times started and it went back to its pre-priv price. So they cut the hardware loose, scream & shout we're a software company like its propaganda, in order to allow people to see the true value.
    From day one John Chen stated he was moving BlackBerry to an enterprise software company. He had the BOD with him and still has their full backing. This has been the strategy since the end of 2013.

He could not shut down the HW side right away
    As Troy has stated they had too much of their existing cash tied up in inventory, not only phones but in parts at the companies building the phones. This is why BlackBerry needed the cash infusion when he took over. Too much of Blackberry's cash was committed.
    TgeekB, JeepBB, TGR1 and 1 others like this.
    10-01-16 01:24 PM
    From day one John Chen stated he was moving BlackBerry to an enterprise software company. He had the BOD with him and still has their full backing. This has been the strategy since the end of 2013.

He could not shut down the HW side right away
    As Troy has stated they had too much of their existing cash tied up in inventory, not only phones but in parts at the companies building the phones. This is why BlackBerry needed the cash infusion when he took over. Too much of Blackberry's cash was committed.
    I don't entirely disagree with you, he is a software guy at heart, he wants to implement his vision. I only disagree on the fact that he wanted to get rid of the hardware. The guy was trying, for 3 years! he did what he thought would bring the division into profitability, failed? Yes, utterly? yes but deliberately? No.

Why would he want to fail if he can really win in hardware. Anyone else would've shutdown the hardware much earlier than Chen, he was under immense pressure to do so but he continued until it really became boring.

Same goes for the board and Fairfax. They just cared about turning the company around, whether through both soft & hard or only soft. They only care about the bigger picture. To be honest, Chen should never be fired. The right move was to just separate the hardware and bring someone more knowledgeable in that segment. Let Chen do his software thing, the other guy does his hardware thing and let's wish them luck. But any talk regarding some sort of conspiracy to kill the HW by the board or Chen is far fetched. I see this being inferred quite often here, and really no one wanted that.
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    10-01-16 01:51 PM
    Well, actually taking your meds has been known to work too

I take issue with the condition description! Interested in a trade? I have a bunch of Nortel and Bre-X shares in a drawer somewhere.....
    Possibly relevant: I used to work for a Nortel subsidiary when they went bang. There was lots of coffee-machine talk that it'd be OK because the Canadian gover'mint wouldn't let such an iconic Canadian company go to the wall...

I mention this because I've seen a few threads where BB and the government are mentioned in the same way as Nortel was (past tense entirely appropriate)

Just sayin'
    10-01-16 02:00 PM
    Just as you silence people when they tell you that your team is no good, IGNORE them. You won't change their minds.

Emperor of Texas & California.
    10-01-16 05:09 PM
    OK, you need to have some fun and to make a little money on this, or get yourself a free phone. It is heavily leaked for those in the know that the DTEK60 is coming out soon. BB's SVP of sales said categorically in an interview that there will be a PKB device within 6 months. I am sure that he would not be saying that if it were not the case, due to his position in the company. Otherwise he would be risking his job, since he is a spokesman for their device sales. Instead of arguing with these people, just wager a bet. If 1 or more BlackBerry branded phones come out within the next, say, 9 months they have to buy it for you or pay you the retail price it is listed for at release (for one of the phones of your choice). Otherwise you will buy them a phone up to $500 US. To up the stakes, if two come out within, lets give it 9 months, then they have to buy both for you. I think before they make the bet they will do a little research and will decide they don't want to make the bet. Problem solved.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    10-06-16 02:12 PM
    They wud b silenced once blackberry is acquired by some Asian company.
    or Uproar.
    blackmass likes this.
    10-06-16 02:25 PM
66 123