Obviously they deemed it to be the best financial strategy to release BBM to iPhone and Android. One hand you can say that it gets BBerrys name out there on all phones, but the other hand you can say that it makes BBerry as a device less interesting.

How will they profit from this with it being free? ADS on BBM? Or just hoping people will want to buy a device?
    05-14-13 10:08 AM
    They said bbm would be for free but they did not say bbm video would be free.
    05-14-13 10:09 AM
    They said bbm would be for free but they did not say bbm video would be free.
    This is very true. Advertisements on iOS and Android are also a possibility. I'm sure we'll hear some ways BlackBerry plans to profit from this. I'm expecting Umi to weigh in on this announcement soon enough
    05-14-13 10:12 AM
    Yes there has to be some master plan behind this for why it will push BB into the future. Because we all know that BBM is one of their big selling points to use Blackberry.

Could it be the whole plan is to keep BB userbase now staying with BB? By this becoming available, people will be more likely to stay with BB because they can message all their friends now using BBM?

Just a thought..
    tfp and pantlesspenguin like this.
    05-14-13 10:16 AM
    Yes there has to be some master plan behind this for why it will push BB into the future. Because we all know that BBM is one of their big selling points to use Blackberry.

Could it be the whole plan is to keep BB userbase now staying with BB? By this becoming available, people will be more likely to stay with BB because they can message all their friends now using BBM?

Just a thought..
    Good point! Never even thought of that.
    05-14-13 10:24 AM
    the information about non-BB users is valuable. very valuable.

from a marketing standpoint, they will be able to target them directly since they now have their information.

it also boosts the brand awareness. Users don't have any fear to try it because it's FREE, no risk. Then they realize that this is a NEW BB, not that BB of old.

BBM on BB10 is beautiful.
    trinireflex and .pinkberry like this.
    05-14-13 10:37 AM
    the information about non-BB users is valuable. very valuable.

from a marketing standpoint, they will be able to target them directly since they now have their information.

it also boosts the brand awareness. Users don't have any fear to try it because it's FREE, no risk. Then they realize that this is a NEW BB, not that BB of old.

BBM on BB10 is beautiful.
    Yeah we dont care for that free=no money.BB dont do stuff without making money.These guys are scheming somewhere.I dont understand I dont see it yet.
    05-14-13 10:54 AM