Hi, so I'm just wondering how to use an unlocked BB. I know this is probably a dumb question, but I'm really at loss here. :P I'm looking at this:

So from what I gather, the phone has no contract, etc., and you just put a SIM into it from a carrier (in my case, AT&T). What SIM card do you need? I saw a SIM on AT&T's website, but it's like $6 and has no information on the page. Can someone please explain how to use an unlocked BB?

Thanks
    09-16-11 08:59 PM
    h ttp : //bit . ly/nW rik1
    Link, with no spaces. I only have 2 posts, so I can't post links :\
    09-16-11 08:59 PM
    An unlocked BlackBerry allows you to choose any compatible carrier you would like to use. You will need to purchase a sim card from that carrier and either go prepaid or sign up on a monthly term.
    09-16-11 09:07 PM
    google is your friend...
    09-16-11 09:07 PM
    @SurlySays.. .yeah.. I've been googling multiple times, I'm not getting anything :P I REALLY need to know, I don't want to buy it and stare at it like a moron because I don't know how to use it. So like, how would I get the SIM card?
    09-16-11 09:23 PM
    In the US it is a bit more difficult than in Europe, say, since the carriers in the US all use different frequencies and different standards.
    09-16-11 09:35 PM
    Blackberry devices branded to a carrier are using Network security called also SIM lock that prevents you from using the device with a carrier other then the one that selling it.

When you unlock a Blackberry the SIM lock is removed.
    If a SIM Card is inserted into a SIM slot of a regular Blackberry device that not yet been unlocked - then, you won't get any Signal and you won't be able to use your phone number.
    But when unlocking Blackberry using the unique unlock code for your device the sim lock is removed and you can use any SIM card with it, that makes the unlocked Blackberry device into a SIM-free device that will get Signal from any carrier on the GSM network that you are using by simply inserting your Sim card into it.

GSM carrier are using SIM cards, the phone number is set on it.

About US frequencies - you should get a device that will work with the bands that your carrier transmits goes on for the data services.
    For example: unlocked Blackberry bold 9930 from Sprint will work on At&t with 3G.
    09-16-11 10:02 PM
    It's very easy here in the UK if you start with a compatible unlocked device to then get a sim only blackberry deal but i'm sure it will be a similar process where you are. Ask your carrier for a sim on a 'BlackBerry BIS' data plan. If your device has been properly unlocked inserting the new sim and switching on should register your device with the network. Once its registered all the blackberry stuff should start working. I'd visit a local store if in any doubt and show them your device before buying a blackberry data plan. I would hope they would be able to tell you if your device will work on their network!
    09-20-11 05:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD