whats everyone's opinion/feedback on using google maps.

the reason im asking is because to me google maps was extremely unreliable.
    latest example
    i was going to ikea and it gave me a wrong address
    it said exit towards 41th st. when in fact it was 43rd st. exit
    so i passed it asked it to reroute made a loop on the freeway driving back it gave me the right street number that time. very odd.

many times google showed adresses that did not exist anymore or did not ever exist at that location.

never had that problem with garmin.

as i was driving back from ikea i tried to avoid traffic and selected show traffic . after 30 seconds and already passing the turn it showed the road i was on but not the alternative(Painfully slow loading) so i ended up stuck in traffic because of an accident...

my personal opinion about cellphone google maps navigation: FAIL!!!
    11-09-09 09:41 PM
    Were you coming from the south or from the north? From the north, it is 41st but from the south it would be 43rd (hospital exit). Unless there is another Ikea located on that street number!

I work in Renton.

All gps programs have their weaknesses.

Frankly, I find the phone apps a bit slow when you do blow a turn because they have to "call home" to get the rerouting info and/or maps. While a standalone gps with maps internal has instant access. But, of course, internal maps become outdated and costly to update.

I went with the Garmin product for BB. I've used it a few times now and it appears okay but, again, a bit slow. And I recently found out, you cannot force it to repeat its spoken instruction if you missed it the first time, requiring looking at the screen - not always safe.

Have you tried the BBMaps program? Oh, I think with AT&T you need to sidestep their limitation or is that google they don't cooperate with?
    11-09-09 11:50 PM
    Google maps really shouldn't be used as the most accurate navigation tool. To me, its more of just a general outline of where I want to go. I use Garmin or amazegps for directions if I really need to.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-09 01:10 AM
    Google maps really shouldn't be used as the most accurate navigation tool. To me, its more of just a general outline of where I want to go. I use Garmin or amazegps for directions if I really need to.
    Yes. Me, too. I love Google Maps for what it is but other supplementary programs help a lot.
    11-10-09 07:47 AM
    Googler maps works great for me when using it to plan a trip ahead or using public transportation. I live in nyc and travel a lot to the city (where its a pain driving) and google maps hasn't failed me yet with train/bus/walking directions from point A to point B.

I've used google maps for driving to places but I always pull up the directions ahead of time. I havnt had any problems and have received purfect directions to date. That's just my expirience so far!

11-10-09 08:25 AM
    ^
    have to cosign the above poster..

GMaps is great in the city
    11-10-09 09:50 AM
    does the data loading depend on 3G alot or not?
    i have 8900 with tmobile unlimited data plan.
    11-10-09 11:39 AM
    I have a 8900 as well w/ the tmo unlimited data. As long as you have data it works fine.

11-10-09 11:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD