I recently purchased a Blackberry 8330. Using Opera, I downloaded an attachment from my gmail account and saved it to the SDcard. How do I access this file? The file is currently in winzip format, can I open this on the phone once I get to the file? Thanks.
    09-01-09 11:52 AM
    Have you tried going thru media?

Or do you remember which file you saved it in on the card?
    09-01-09 12:00 PM
    BlackBerrys native file manger is Media / Explore.

You can use that to locate and view TXT files, but it does not work with ZIP/RAR files.

09-01-09 12:04 PM
    I did try media but that does not allow me access to the SDcard. I saved the download as itself on the card I do not believe I saved it in any file.
    09-01-09 12:05 PM
    The zip file contains .cod and .alx files. Should I try unzipping these files and saving them in the music folder?
    09-01-09 12:07 PM
    I did try media but that does not allow me access to the SDcard. I saved the download as itself on the card I do not believe I saved it in any file.

Explore does allow you to view both device memory and media card.

However, you still can not extract a ZIP file using your BlackBerry.

The zip file contains .cod and .alx files. Should I try unzipping these files and saving them in the music folder?
    Copy the file to a Windows computer that does have the correct utility program installed. Extract the files, then use BlackBerry Desktop Manager to do the actual install.
    09-01-09 12:14 PM
    .cod and .alx files sounds like the install files for something you would install using Desktop manager. Not sure what you will be able to do with the files without a program to open zip files though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-09 12:15 PM
    Thanks to your help, I successfully navigated to the unzipped files, however, when I click on the files, it says "Unable to display file". Is there another way to tell the phone to install the application?
    09-01-09 01:10 PM
    You need to install that application via BlackBerry Desktop Manager on your computer.

You can't install it from the media card like that.
    09-01-09 06:14 PM
    If you have a .jar file of that app, you can open that directly from the BB via Explore.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-09 10:45 PM
    All I have are two files, one is a .alx, and the other is a .cod Desktop Manager won't let me open these and install them on my phone, what other options do I have?
    09-02-09 04:46 PM
    Do you have the PHONE OS installed on your computer?
    09-02-09 05:47 PM
    I have the blackberry desktop software installed only. There is nothing labeled "PHONE OS" on the CD that came with the phone. Where can I find the phone os for installing?
    09-02-09 08:27 PM
    What OS version is on the device currently? That same version needs to be installed on your computer.

You can get the device software here.
    BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites
    09-02-09 09:31 PM
    gotta go in the media card.
    09-03-09 12:07 AM
    What OS version is on the device currently? That same version needs to be installed on your computer.

You can get the device software here.
    BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

Thanks, how do I check what version of the OS I have?
    09-03-09 05:55 AM
    gotta go in the media card.

Threeamigos - what do you do after you are in the media card?
    09-03-09 05:55 AM
    Go to Options > About and read the third line.

It will be something like 4.5.0.160. You need to install that same exact version on your computer (doesn't matter which carrier it's from).

Then you will use the Application Loader in BlackBerry Desktop Manager to navigate to the folder on your computer where you extracted the ALX and COD files.
    09-03-09 06:56 AM
    My version is 4.5.0.131. I will do as you suggest.
    09-03-09 12:25 PM
    My desktop manager is v4.5 and my blackberry is 4.5.0.131. These seem to be the same. Did you mean that Device Manager should be downloaded and not Desktop Manager?
    09-04-09 06:47 PM
    No, I meant BlackBerry Desktop Manager. And you probably should upgrade it to version 4.6.

But you STILL need to have the PHONE OS (or DEVICE SOFTWARE) (which is a different thing from the Device Manager) installed on your computer as well.

It will show up in your computer Control Panel under "Add/Remove Programs". It will also be shown in BlackBerry Desktop Manager when you click Help > About BlackBerry Desktop Manager > Device Software
    09-04-09 08:18 PM
    Where is the best place to find the Phone OS? I wasn't able to find it on the CD that came with the phone or blackberry's website.
    09-05-09 11:09 AM
    My DM version is 5.0. Is there something I'm losing by having a higher version ????
    09-05-09 11:22 AM
    Where is the best place to find the Phone OS? I wasn't able to find it on the CD that came with the phone or blackberry's website.
    I posted the link in post #14 and you quoted it in post #16.
    09-05-09 01:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD