I googled the question and got to a manual found here.

https://help.blackberry.com/en/dtek50/current/help/stk1435007515710.html

I cannot get past step 2. "On your device, swipe down from the top of the screen and tap the Connected in charging mode notification."

I swipe down and don't know of or recognize this "Connected in charging mode notification"

Where is this freaking thing?

I go thru the settings. The phone is charging but the pc doesn't recognize it for file transfer via USB cable. I have to upload files to my dropbox account and then download them on my computer, is now the only way, which is stupid.
    02-28-17 08:30 PM
    I don't have a DTEK, but you should get a screen similar to these when you plug your phone into your computer via USB:

How do I transfer files from Dtek50 to my computer using USB?-android-file-transfer-nexus-6p-step-2.png
    How do I transfer files from Dtek50 to my computer using USB?-galaxy-nexus-usb-options.jpg

You're setting the "mode" of the USB connection - which by default is "charge the phone" (only). MTP is the mode you want to be able to manage the files on your phone from your computer - to be able to drag & drop files from the file manager, etc.
    1122334455667788 likes this.
    03-01-17 12:57 AM
    The notification should be pretty obvious if it appears.

Have you tried restarting both the computer and the phone? How about trying a different USB cable and port?

If that doesn't work, then you could try changing the USB mode from the developer options.
    03-01-17 09:53 AM
    Ouch, Android file management woes. As funky as BlackBerry Link was at times, it still is / was superior to what I've seen on Android... :-)

I wish someone would fix this mess, I'd like to see these things come to BlackBerry Android.

•   THISone, with the keys, hopefully coming soon to a phone store down unda... :-D   •
    03-01-17 11:58 PM
    Ouch, Android file management woes. As funky as BlackBerry Link was at times, it still is / was superior to what I've seen on Android... :-)
    Have you even tried USB file sharing on Android? You plug in the phone via USB cable and you select MTP. At that point, you can see the internal storage and (optionally) the SD card as folders in your computer. You can do anything you'd normally do - copy, move, rename, delete, sort, etc. etc. No external software needed.

The only "woes" here are "user error woes."
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-02-17 03:38 PM
    Few positive changes on that front. ^

Now, how do I back up the whole phone into one file LOCALLY and restore from there also...?

Thanks for any assistance.... :-)
    *hug*

•   THISone, with the keys, hopefully coming soon to a phone store down unda... :-D   •
    03-02-17 05:11 PM
    Few positive changes on that front. ^

Now, how do I back up the whole phone into one file LOCALLY and restore from there also...?

Thanks for any assistance.... :-)
    *hug*

You don't.
    03-02-17 06:38 PM
    I was having a driver issue, even though I'd select "file transfers" from the drop down menu.

Found a solution here:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...8-d237e249e6d1
    03-16-17 09:03 AM
    You also don't find out that you have forgotten to backup your phone in three months (and just lost some very important photos), or that suddenly you can get some PC Program like LINK to see your phone, or find that doing a restore of your data hangs up and won't finish, or that the Switch/Restore option won't work with their new replacement device.

Would have been nice if BlackBerry had been able to keep the BlackBerry Experience more "traditional", as I think many here are use to that way of doing things. But the simple truth is most people are not using a PC at home too often these days, and their phones aren't something they connect to work PCs. For most, a cloud backup is more convenient and more likely to fit their needs.
    03-16-17 09:18 AM