I'm new to BB & CB, but I am a dedicated Mozilla Thunderbird, and Lightning user. I was wondering if anyone here knows how to sync an 8320 Curve with these Mozilla apps?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-08 08:32 AM
    As far as I know it will only work with outlook. I have since dropped outlook and now just use Google calendar sync. Hopefully they will release some kind of sync for contacts very soon. You may want to poke around google a little you may be able to find some 3rd party software that does this for you but I wouldn't count on it.
    03-09-08 10:24 AM
    It wont work with anything mozilla. Sorry, just outlook pretty much. There are other ways to sync things, but its gets pretty complicated.
    03-09-08 12:04 PM
    This is not a direct route, but it seems to work.

Google Update for the blackberry will sync a google calendar with the BlackBerry calendar.

You can also download an add-on to sync Thunderbird (or Sunbird) with Google Calendar.
    03-22-08 10:32 AM
    Why is the world so against Mozilla's products?

So many devices simply don't support any of Mozilla's products, and most manufacturers flat-out refuse to even consider it!

Pocket PCs, Research in Motion (RIM) BlackBerry devices, Sony PlayStation Portables (PSPs), Apple iPod devices, almost all cell phones... The list goes on and on.

03-22-08 08:27 PM
    This thread got me thinking and looking since I use Tunderbird too. A little goolgling I found this bfish.xaedalus.net Stay in Sync with GCal and Thunderbird. It shows you how to sync Thunderbird with Google Calander. All works great. All i have to do then is use the BB Google Calander sync and its done
    03-23-08 04:04 PM
    I've only had my (first) Blackberry for a few days and have so far managed to get my address books to sync up. I use Funambol on my Curve to sync with ScheduleWorld and installed the Thunderbird plugin synSW.xpi to do the same with my UMPC. Unfortunately I still have to use a USB cable to sync my iMac address book but my main concern was keeping things synced when mobile, so having a solution for the Blackberry and Q1 was the priority. I'm sure there are other ways to get this to work, one being the use of Mobical instead of ScheduleWorld but for now, this is working for me.

I'm now going to attempt to get my calendar to sync. I use Google Calendar so I'm thinking of trying Google Sync, though I'm going to check the forums here to see if there are other alternatives.

Good luck and let me know if you come across any better solutions in your quest for syncing heaven!
    03-25-08 05:05 AM
    I've only had my (first) Blackberry for a few days and have so far managed to get my address books to sync up. I use Funambol on my Curve to sync with ScheduleWorld and installed the Thunderbird plugin synSW.xpi to do the same with my UMPC. Unfortunately I still have to use a USB cable to sync my iMac address book but my main concern was keeping things synced when mobile, so having a solution for the Blackberry and Q1 was the priority. I'm sure there are other ways to get this to work, one being the use of Mobical instead of ScheduleWorld but for now, this is working for me.
    Scrub the above! Issues began to arise as soon as new contacts were added to a particular device. The Thunderbird plugin (synSW.xpi) didn't pick up any of the new contacts which should have been residing on the ScheduleWorld servers.

Anyway, I bit the bullet, forked out US$39.95 and purchased SyncJe. Using the following advice (which I can't link to unfortunately due to a current lack of posts) I have managed to get things working where my original setup would fail:-

OK, bear with me if you have never heard of this before, I'll get a little techie - but it's totally possible to do what you want for a one-time cost of $30 for a piece of BlackBerry software.

1) Set up a free online account at mobical.net
    2) Download and install the Nexthaus SyncJe client on your BB
    3) Install the free Tsync extenstion in your Thunderbird

Install it, configure it the same way you did the SyncJe client settings, and sync your contacts up to the Mobical webserver. Now do a sync on your BB with the Nexthaus client and boom - all done.
    The above may cost but it has achieved what I wanted to achieve and for that I'm happy!
    03-26-08 03:33 PM
    The world is not against Mozilla. Mozilla has just not built in the connectivity to sync with other products (this comes direct from mozillaZine.com - Mozilla doesn't see it as a priority). I'm a fan of Thunderbird also (don't shoot the messenger). Now that Mozilla's stopped formally developing/supporting T-bird we probably won't see it at all.
    03-27-08 09:53 PM
    Is there a way to sync more than 1 lightning calendar with Google Calendar? In Lightning, I have color coded calendars for my consulting work, for a part time job I have, and for family items. A way to transfer each of these, without having to put the entries into a single calendar would be a great help.
    08-25-08 09:52 PM
    I'm new to BB & CB, but I am a dedicated Mozilla Thunderbird, and Lightning user. I was wondering if anyone here knows how to sync an 8320 Curve with these Mozilla apps?

I found a pretty simple way to sync my Thunderbird email with my Blackberry. I posted the "how to" at "Confinguring Blackberry with Thunderbird or other Non-Outlook Email Applications" which can be found at the second search result from a Google search for "thunderbird blackberry". I hope this helps you.
    02-05-09 09:27 PM
    I have to use Outlook for sync my BB8320. I guess we may sync with Google Sync service for Thunderbird and Lighting? Who can help us on this question? Thanks
    03-01-09 11:13 PM
    I wonder if RIM will ever fix this...seems like it should be EASY
    03-03-09 05:04 AM
    Technically very easy, but we don't know the commercial constraints imposed by Micro$oft. There must be a reason it doesn't work too well with Mac or Linux either...
    03-03-09 08:59 AM

Its quite easy to synchronize your Thunderbird email with your Blackberry email. I have posted detailed instructions on my blog. It is at www (dot) thunderbirdblackberry (dot) blogspot (dot) com.
    03-10-09 11:56 AM

Go to www (dot) thunderbirdblackberry (dot) blogspot (dot) com for detailed instructions on how to integrate Thunderbird email with Blackberry email.
    03-10-09 11:57 AM
    Thanks so much for the Thunderbird/Google Calendar work-around! I wish I had known about this problem & solution before I stayed up all night (unsuccessfully) trying to replace the Widcomm bluetooth stack on my new laptop so I could connect with Desktop Manager, with a plan of syncing with the Lightning calendar!
    04-10-09 07:12 PM
    not such a great workaround when google calendar messes up - it has randomly changed several appts by 1 hour - lucky i noticed while i remember which ones i need to check... they are still correct on bb, but useless on google calendar, which then pushed wrong times to thunderbird lightning
    10-04-09 09:35 PM
    Go to www (dot) thunderbirdblackberry (dot) blogspot (dot) com for detailed instructions on how to integrate Thunderbird email with Blackberry email.
    Any chance of getting the lightning calender to also sync up with the BB directly.

I used T-bird for work and do have a gmail account for personal.
    Seems kind of round about to have a Calender in Thunderbird for work(at)thunderbird.com. I then link this gmail calender to my personal email account with the ad-on.

Then I somehow link this back to my BB which would have the work(at)thunderbird address as the main one.

Make sense?
    Last edited by acrosteve; 10-26-09 at 01:35 PM.
    10-26-09 01:24 PM
    This works:
    1. Use gmail.
    2. Use Google's automatic contacts synch add-on for Blackberry.
    This works great. It's instant.
    3. Export contacts from gmail once weekly as .csv file.
    4. Import into "Outlook Express" (Just about on every computer).
    5. Export from "Outlook Express" to .csv file.
    6. Import the Outlook file into Thunderbird. Delete and replace
    or overwrite the existing contacts on import.

It's a once weekly up date, but not bad. Also, can't skip the
    outlook go-between because it's export matches Thunderbird.
    The gmail output does not match up.
    Good luck.

Or... Easiest solution. Just double type new entries.
    11-02-09 01:48 AM
    I've been syncing thunderbird with my 8320 for a few months now using google sync on the phone and add ons on the thunderbird.
    For contacts there's a few add ons to sync with google contacts, I think I'm using zindu, also using another add on that let's you get rid of your duplicates. For calendar there's actually a way to open google calendar directly from your thunderbird so you don't have to sync. Works a treat for me.

11-02-09 04:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD