Why do people automatically assume that someone is doing something illegal if they don't want their private communications to remain that, private?
    If you weren't protected by the Constitution or Charter Rights in Canada then is it ok for law enforcement to arrest you for no reason because you put a lock on your door? What's the difference there? Do you have something to hide or doing something illegal in your home that you need to put locks to prevent law enforcement from just walking in anytime they feel like it?
    Why do people encrypt their hard drives, files or use encryption in the first place? What are you hiding by using encryption? You must be doing something illegal then.

Channel for Asian eye candy
    That comparison does not really work. Of course you put a lock on your door in order to protect your home from illegal access. For the same reason you put a password on your phone.

Now if the police has reasonable suspicion that you're doing some illegal stuff within your legally protected privacy, then they will off course void your privacy rights by breaking your doors or spying on your phone.

There is no need to justify encryption as such, since it can serve as a means to protect your files from illegal external access but that's a different story. There's cyber crime, industrial espionage etc...

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 04:30 AM
    If you worry about the "Cops" reading your email and you have not committed a crime you have nothing to worry about because you are not as important as you believe you are.
    Residing likes this.
    05-12-15 04:42 AM
    Don't get all crazy with the Canadian charter of rights and freedom , I've passed the Quebec Bar last week, so I know all about the BNA act/1982 act. The only reason I'm willing to give up some of my rights is because if them having access to my private stuff can save ONE life
    then i'm all for it!

Edit: and BTW, I put a lock on my door so criminals can't walk in, not cops.

Posted via CB10
    Stalin called people with your mindset useful idiots. Welcome to your fascist state.

Posted via CB10
    Cynycl likes this.
    05-12-15 06:32 AM
    You can trust the posts of strangers if you like, but I would suggest that you wait and ask the warden the next time you see him...
    Soapm likes this.
    05-12-15 07:16 AM
    No way of knowing, simple. They pull it from carrier and millions of requests are made.. Suppose to get court orders but they pull without all the time.

If your worried, your probably already snatched up. Even if just meta is captured, they know who are conversing. Guess you don't know how to protect yourself for electronic convos.
    05-12-15 07:34 AM
    And BTW, yeah fcku my privacy if that means it can save one single life.

What you said sounds so stupid I can't believe you said it, yeah I'm a serial killer that's why I have locks on my doors, and you're obviously a pedophile with your tinfoil hat. See how that doesn't make sense?

Posted via CB10
    What I'm saying is why do people assume someone is guilty or has something to hide just because they ask about police activities pertaining to their private conversations?

There is one set of laws that apply to everyone. The police are not above the law. They cannot go kicking down doors or bugging phones or reading text messages without a court order/warrant, regardless if it saves one life or not.

If you'd like to sacrifice your freedoms for "security", North Korea and other countries like that would welcome you with open arms. I suggest you may want to study up more on civil rights and topics relating to Charter/Constitutional Rights when it comes to police activities. There are many cases where crimes were committed but charges were dropped because the police violated the Charter/Constitutional Rights of the accused.

05-12-15 08:09 AM
    Don't get all crazy with the Canadian charter of rights and freedom , I've passed the Quebec Bar last week, so I know all about the BNA act/1982 act. The only reason I'm willing to give up some of my rights is because if them having access to my private stuff can save ONE life
    then i'm all for it!

Posted via CB10
    Lol

Posted via CB10
    anon(9188202) likes this.
    05-12-15 08:13 AM
    Encryption. nuff said. also if you ever get busted, use protect to remotely wipe said device.
    05-12-15 08:15 AM
    What I'm saying is why do people assume someone is guilty or has something to hide just because they ask about police activities pertaining to their private conversations?

There is one set of laws that apply to everyone. The police are not above the law. They cannot go kicking down doors or bugging phones or reading text messages without a court order/warrant, regardless if it saves one life or not.

If you'd like to sacrifice your freedoms for "security", North Korea and other countries like that would welcome you with open arms. I suggest you may want to study up more on civil rights and topics relating to Charter/Constitutional Rights when it comes to police activities. There are many cases where crimes were committed but charges were dropped because the police violated the Charter/Constitutional Rights of the accused.

We answered this already... because you specifically asked about "cops".

Honestly, despite all the hoopla over government spying, it's pretty much limited to the NSA doing all that these days. Your local police department couldn't care less about you. They all have tight budgets, limited manpower and ongoing actual crimes -like real people shooting other real people - to worry about.

It's all a matter of perspective.

Start actually doing something wrong, to the point that something about it gets out and noticed by someone (and it almost always will) - that's when you really need to worry.

Otherwise, as someone posted above already, you are never as important as you think you are.

You're Dogdson in the beginning of Jurassic Park... nobody cares.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 08:54 AM

Honestly, despite all the hoopla over government spying, it's pretty much limited to the NSA doing all that these days. Your local police department couldn't care less about you. They all have tight budgets, limited manpower and ongoing actual crimes -like real people shooting other real people - to worry about.

Start actually doing something wrong, to the point that something about it gets out and noticed by someone (and it almost always will) - that's when you really need to worry.

Otherwise, as someone posted above already, you are never as important as you think you are.

Posted via CB10
    Okay try this on for size. You are walking down the street minding you own business when you encounter an old acquaintance from high school you say hi maybe go have a beer catch up on old times etc. Now this person who you have not seen in over 10 + years just happens to be a criminal, you have no way of knowing this you finish your beer say goodbye and will never see that person again. However the police just happen to see this encounter and start a file on you which is entered into their database. Fast-forward a couple months or years later and you are hoping to get a new dream job, you just have to wait for the criminal background check to okay you. Low and behold your file is red flagged with " associates with known criminals" and of course you lose that job. This happens all the time in Canada where the police "card" people mostly black people btw. So what kind of perspective would you have if this happened to you?

Loving my Passport!
    05-12-15 09:40 AM
    When the flash bangs and tear gas come flying through your windows proceeded by them bashing through your front door.

Posted via CB10 with my AT&T Classic
    05-12-15 09:43 AM
    Okay try this on for size. You are walking down the street minding you own business when you encounter an old acquaintance from high school you say hi maybe go have a beer catch up on old times etc. Now this person who you have not seen in over 10 + years just happens to be a criminal, you have no way of knowing this you finish your beer say goodbye and will never see that person again. However the police just happen to see this encounter and start a file on you which is entered into their database. Fast-forward a couple months or years later and you are hoping to get a new dream job, you just have to wait for the criminal background check to okay you. Low and behold your file is red flagged with " associates with known criminals" and of course you lose that job. This happens all the time in Canada where the police "card" people mostly black people btw. So what kind of perspective would you have if this happened to you?

Loving my Passport!
    Kind of a vague what-if. Just basic police work should do additional checks to filter such contacts with other people out. Heck, here in Louisiana where half of our politicians are criminals - that alone would implicate half the state population as "associates with known criminals"

The FBI actually had a file on my father back in the early 70s because he did research on the 1917 Russian Revolution for his Masters thesis, and later, Doctoral dissertation. Only because he did historical research on a cold war adversary.

Didn't affect his job prospects.

By the way, by the mid 80s, they actually sent him a copy of their file after they closed it out. That was when he found out about it. This was before cell phones and the internet. If "they" want to find out something about you, "they" will, no matter how unconnected you try to be.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 11:25 AM

Yes, use mine: the whole thing has much greater dimensions. Nobody talks about a local police departement or the police at all. The main part of the collected data is stored at the net providers and 3rd and 4th and 5th party service providers. Somewhere and decentral. Other data are stored at financial service providers, banks, credit card supplyers and insurances.

Excursus: A while ago I was in a bank, just to get some things cleared about the accounts of my parents. My parents are customers, I'm not. But I was a customer of this bank 14 years ago. When I said my name the nice blond miss hacked my name smiling into her database and said "Ah, have you been a customer? Great!" and of course "Just give me your new address and telephone number! And do you have email? We need this." When I asked what data they still have about me I got no serious answer, just a grin.

Today I read Denmark wants to be the first country on earth who disestablished it's money in cash completely - ask why? Finally they get control about every paying in each damned mom-and-pop store. New topic: traffic surveillance. The German government for instance installed already a nationwide electronic system for traffic surveillance, currently used only for collecting road charge of trucks but soon also used for capturing all cars on German autobahns. They don't get tired to underline, no individual traffic data will be stored (or even used for anything, pah, never, hey! ...), but the new traffic surveillance facilities can do that of course (and what can be done will be done some day).

What I want to say is: a main problem of that all is that nobody knows where his personal data are, how much it is, if copies and backups exist (and where they are), who has access on all that and who uses it really and for what. This remains for sure a secret in background. And until now we didn't talk about commercial data stored by companies like Google, Amazon or eBay somewhere on the planet ...

But as we already saw it's indeed easy to steal such data. Today you have memory sticks and portable hard disks with a capacity of many GB. These data are valuable for several parties, not only for governments, and thievery and receiving of that stolen data will become a serious problem in future. Even goverments don't hesitate to buy knowingly stolen data as we already saw in Germany. The idea of safe data is a fairy-tale of politicians, and a real nightmare. And getting some SPAM onto your email addresses will then be nostalgic fun.

And that's why this is a serious thing. Everybody should indeed have an interest to limit the collected data about himself and his family as much as possible. And in 2015 I call someone "who has nothing to hide" an i*d*i*o*t.
    SmileDahling likes this.
    05-12-15 11:47 AM
    Kind of a vague what-if. Just basic police work should do additional checks to filter such contacts with other people out. Heck, here in Louisiana where half of our politicians are criminals - that alone would implicate half the state population as "associates with known criminals"

The FBI actually had a file on my father back in the early 70s because he did research on the 1917 Russian Revolution for his Masters thesis, and later, Doctoral dissertation. Only because he did historical research on a cold war adversary.

Didn't affect his job prospects.

By the way, by the mid 80s, they actually sent him a copy of their file after they closed it out. That was when he found out about it. This was before cell phones and the internet. If "they" want to find out something about you, "they" will, no matter how unconnected you try to be.

Posted via CB10
    It's not a what if it's called carding in Toronto Canada the police target mainly black people and keep a file on what they term "persons of interest" people have lost jobs over this. We now have a new black police chief but he is defending this policy.

Loving my Passport!
    05-12-15 11:53 AM

Posted via CB10

Really, nobody has them other than NSA or at federal level? So why are they using Stingray devices?

https://www.aclu.org/map/stingray-tr...-whos-got-them

Secrecy around police surveillance equipment proves a case?s undoing - The Washington Post

Charter Violations:

Rights violated in B.C. ecstasy case, judge says | National Post

Just because the police have a hunch or suspicion doesn't give them the rights to violate your Charter Rights. That's why they need warrants!

Motorist wins case, despite drugs in car - Local - The Telegram
    Smitty13 likes this.
    05-12-15 12:25 PM
    Get a burner...LOL

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 02:19 PM
    1. Pull battery
    2. Pull Sim card
    3. Crush remaining phone components with sledge hammer
    4. Shut off your hydro
    5. Cut your land line cable
    6. begin production on shiny metalic headgear
    7. sit in dark basement or cellar and avoid contact with homo sapiens at all cost.
    8. check the dog for leaks
    9. ingest all available prescription medications
    10. ingest all available recreational medications and elixirs.
    Hmmmm username checks out lol!

Posted via CB10
    Cynycl and Soapm like this.
    05-12-15 02:25 PM

Loving my Passport!
    While I'm not going to say your wrong, from my experience, only very high security jobs would be alerted to this, as a simple criminal records check would not reveal "being carded" this is something the police are aware of, so if they pull you over or encounter you being suspicious they will question and watch more closely. If something does not appear on your criminal records check (which "carding" would not) then no employer has any right to further question the police about you, nor are the police allowed to reveal information like that.

Someone who doesn't get a job and blames the police watching them, is just kidding themselves, clearly someone was more qualified or had a connection that got them the job instead. (racism may have been a factor, but not on the part of the police, it would be the employer who chose to hire someone else because of prejudices, not a flag in the criminal system)

BB for Life
    05-12-15 03:50 PM
    If you are wearing a tin foil hat then they are for sure reading your phone. No need to lock the doors, the aliens will be able to transport through walls.

Posted via CB10
    Carjackd likes this.
    05-12-15 04:51 PM
    then i'm all for it!

Posted via CB10
    If your private data can save a life, why don't you do the right thing and just report/share that info voluntarily with specific actionable evidence, rather than providing way more information than the police need and filter and waste resources?

It's a pretty thin argument.

In the future, I'd be more willing to allow a computer to analyze my private data with open design and expectations, but not when humans are involved. We're all pretty corrupt when it comes down to it given enough time or opportunity. Whether its harmless info, some nudy pics, or its insider info leading to stock fraud/profit. Humans can't be trusted with private data. My thoughts, property and actions are private, and mine alone.
    BB10QNX likes this.
    05-12-15 08:29 PM
    If you are wearing a tin foil hat then they are for sure reading your phone. No need to lock the doors, the aliens will be able to transport through walls.

Posted via CB10
    Not my walls, I filled them with pencils... I heard lead blocks the Alien's transporter beams...
    05-12-15 10:07 PM
    Humans can't be trusted with private data. My thoughts, property and actions are private, and mine alone.
    ...and there's the key! Why? Because it doesn't matter if you think you're doing nothing wrong, it's what they think you're doing wrong - history proves it time and time again. History mocks the modern day tinfoil hat mockers, and history, repeats itself, so, the apathetic may want to get one made to maybe see through the clouded bubble. There are thousands upon thousands of laws on the books just waiting to be used at their moment, not ours.

M
    05-13-15 04:52 PM
    Really, nobody has them other than NSA or at federal level? So why are they using Stingray devices?

https://www.aclu.org/map/stingray-tr...-whos-got-them

Secrecy around police surveillance equipment proves a case?s undoing - The Washington Post

Charter Violations:

Rights violated in B.C. ecstasy case, judge says | National Post

Just because the police have a hunch or suspicion doesn't give them the rights to violate your Charter Rights. That's why they need warrants!

Motorist wins case, despite drugs in car - Local - The Telegram
    I was just about to reply with nearly the exact same argument and information.

Smartphone tapping is nowhere near limited to the NSA, as pointed out with the use of "Stingray" devices. Do any of you know how badly local and federal law enforcement agencies want to keep Stingray usage secretive?

So much so, that the FBI has advised all law enforcement agencies that utilizes this device that in the event of a trial that may force them to reveal specifics of the Stingray and it's usage, they should drop the charges and the case. (Source: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...ngray-details/)

Call me cynical, but this smacks of authorities wishing to keep their methods secret rather than pursue justice. It has literally gotten to the sad point that apps are now being coded to detect when a Stingray is tracking you (https://secupwn.github.io/Android-IMSI-Catcher-Detector). It is a sad state of affairs when people such as peaceful protesters must worry about the police jamming their cell phone for exercising their rights.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 05:12 PM
    1. Pull battery
    2. Pull Sim card
    3. Crush remaining phone components with sledge hammer
    4. Shut off your hydro
    5. Cut your land line cable
    6. begin production on shiny metalic headgear
    7. sit in dark basement or cellar and avoid contact with homo sapiens at all cost.
    8. check the dog for leaks
    9. ingest all available prescription medications
    10. ingest all available recreational medications and elixirs.
    OMG this comment the best I laughed so hard haha dwl dwl

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 12:47 AM
    Cops don't need to read your emails or text messages because most people that do dumb things tell their friends who do dumb things as well. By the time the Cops get your emails and text messages they already know what you did.
    05-14-15 04:37 AM
50 12