just want to know if its possible for them to do that or if someone else can. what are the good security settings
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-10-15 09:43 PM
    I think if you are worried about that you may have bigger issues than just the security settings on your device.

Posted via my Canadian Passport
    05-10-15 09:45 PM
    ^^^this

 q5 / z30
    Carjackd likes this.
    05-11-15 09:33 AM
    Texting is not a secure form of communication and they have the tech to listen in on your calls using a sting ray. BlackBerry can't protect you from either of those scenarios.

Posted via CB10
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    05-11-15 09:41 AM
    I think if you are worried about that you may have bigger issues than just the security settings on your device.

Posted via my Canadian Passport
    Not necessarily, if you know you have not been proven guilty, then you can have a reasonable expectation of a privacy.

And unfortunately, there is no way of stopping the cops from doing so. However, they probably have limited human resources as well; and they would not be interested in you if you have not done anything wrong.

Posted via CB10
    nick13b likes this.
    05-11-15 10:16 AM
    Why? What you got for sale?

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.500
    05-11-15 10:21 AM
    just want to know if its possible for them to do that or if someone else can. what are the good security settings
    1. Pull battery
    2. Pull Sim card
    3. Crush remaining phone components with sledge hammer
    4. Shut off your hydro
    5. Cut your land line cable
    6. begin production on shiny metalic headgear
    7. sit in dark basement or cellar and avoid contact with homo sapiens at all cost.
    8. check the dog for leaks
    9. ingest all available prescription medications
    10. ingest all available recreational medications and elixirs.
    05-11-15 01:13 PM
    You can't know for sure.

Try using BBM protected. It'll encrypt your messages end-to-end using device based keys.

If your device or the other persons device gets into the wrong hands and either one of you has a weak password then your caution won't save you.

Posted via my gorgeous red Passport
    The Aficionado likes this.
    05-11-15 01:29 PM
    Not necessarily, if you know you have not been proven guilty, then you can have a reasonable expectation of a privacy.
    ....and you must be his attorney.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    05-11-15 01:40 PM
    Typically, police in the US need a warrant issued by a judge based on specific grounds to suspect of a particular crime. That's not to say that alone will protect you from surveillance, but information acquired illegally will often not be admissible in a court of law.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 02:21 PM
    It doesn't matter if your phone have the best security or encryption software. Cops can easily get a warrant and go through to the phone service provider and ask for your call logs, your location and text messages.
    05-11-15 02:23 PM
    How can you tell? Simple... If your illicit activities are only coordinated via text/SMS or phone calls, and the cops have an uncanny knack to interrupt those plans... That's a pretty good indicator.

Penned via Tapatalk
    21stNow likes this.
    05-11-15 03:20 PM
    Ask em...

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 03:49 PM
    Well I heard they have their own towers built in their cars. So everytime your near them, youre using their towers instead of the provider (ex: att, tmobile, etc.)

Not sure how much they access there but I heard la cops can scan up to like 10000 license plates at a range so it tells them who has a warrant and stuff like that.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 03:53 PM
    Intelligence was an excellent show on CBC a few years ago for a few seasons. Mostly followed CSIS, but still could listen on calls from their offices, just needed a warrant.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 03:54 PM
    https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2...archable-text/

HOW THE NSA CONVERTS SPOKEN WORDS INTO SEARCHABLE TEXT

The tech is there. You need a Secusmart chip for secure communications... :-)

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    The Aficionado likes this.
    05-11-15 04:39 PM
    ...if they show up on your door step, that's a good sign

Posted via CB10 app and BlackBerry Passport 
    Carjackd and devin266 like this.
    05-11-15 09:45 PM
    1. Pull battery
    2. Pull Sim card
    4. Shut off your hydro
    7. sit in dark basement or cellar and avoid contact with homo sapiens at all cost.
    Bonus points for starting at 10.
    05-11-15 10:46 PM
    You won't know. But they can easily if they want to at any time.
    05-11-15 10:48 PM
    Why do people automatically assume that someone is doing something illegal if they don't want their private communications to remain that, private?
    If you weren't protected by the Constitution or Charter Rights in Canada then is it ok for law enforcement to arrest you for no reason because you put a lock on your door? What's the difference there? Do you have something to hide or doing something illegal in your home that you need to put locks to prevent law enforcement from just walking in anytime they feel like it?
    Why do people encrypt their hard drives, files or use encryption in the first place? What are you hiding by using encryption? You must be doing something illegal then.

Channel for Asian eye candy
    05-11-15 11:19 PM
    1. Pull battery
    2. Pull Sim card
    4. Shut off your hydro
    I carry my phone wrapped in no less than two layers of foil and tucked inside an anti-static bag. I don't get any calls but I also don't worry about being traced... And I use pay phones to make calls...

As for text, I use mental telepathy... I open the door on my shiny hat and am careful not to transmit more than 12 seconds for any one message. This way they can't trace me.

And since my text are only one way, I have to use delivery notification.... Get this, the next time I see the person, I ask if they got my message and no one ever admits to receiving the message... Now how's that for security???
    Carjackd and TCB on Z10 like this.
    05-11-15 11:25 PM
    Why do people automatically assume that someone is doing something illegal if they don't want their private communications to remain that, private?
    If you weren't protected by the Constitution or Charter Rights in Canada then is it ok for law enforcement to arrest you for no reason because you put a lock on your door? What's the difference there? Do you have something to hide or doing something illegal in your home that you need to put locks to prevent law enforcement from just walking in anytime they feel like it?
    Why do people encrypt their hard drives, files or use encryption in the first place? What are you hiding by using encryption? You must be doing something illegal then.

Don't forget tinted windows, that obviously means you're doing something illegal in the car...
    05-11-15 11:30 PM
    My rule of thumb: if you write it down, say it out loud or transmit it electronically, consider it compromised and susceptible to interception.
    05-12-15 12:12 AM

Ugh, cause they specifically say cops and not hackers/bad guys/theft identity, etc. If one specifically said private communications and not "cops", then the language in the replies will also be different. For the most part, anyways.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    05-12-15 02:14 AM
    Bottom line is anytime your connected to the grid, anyone could be out there listening to your calls or monitoring your messages. My philosophy is life is to short to worry about that kind of stuff.

If you you want to be a 100% secure then I suggest you get rid of every communication device you have, lock yourself into a cellar with a large supply of food and prepare yourself for a lonely existence.
    05-12-15 03:50 AM
50 12