Hey guys ive been considering bying shares for RIM and i think now i will most probably go ahead with it... but i dont know how lol... can someone help a rookie please
    01-14-13 08:53 AM
    Open an account with vanguard or etrade or one of the other trading firms and place your order. Simple as that
    01-14-13 09:05 AM
    Depends where you live, didn't check your profile so don't know. I find online trading the best. Banks and other services charge to much for placing trades.

In Canada Quest Trade works amazing and its only 4.95 per trade. Check out their website to register an account, takes a few days for everything to get set up though.

Also Quest Trade have submitted a BB10 app to be approved so that'll come eventually
    01-14-13 09:06 AM
    Any good UK investment sites?
    amjass12 likes this.
    01-14-13 11:08 AM
    thanks!! im in the UK
    01-14-13 11:36 AM
    One quick note for potential Canadian investors:

We have our lovely Tax Free Savings Accounts here, and the online brokerages operated by the major banks are eligible investments. Even better, TFSA accounts don't have the same minimum balance requirement that the retail accounts do (i.e., you don't NEED $5000 to fund them). The only downside I've seen so far is that you can't trade options from a TFSA account, but that might be just as well.
    01-14-13 11:40 AM
    I'm in the UK too. Always wondered how to buy shares in USA / Canadian companies.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-14-13 12:18 PM
    Any major brokerage (discount, online, etc) will be able to set you up. Here in US the Big ones are Vanguard, Fidelity, among others. Do a Google search for firms in your country and read up on any reviews there may be. Some charge $8/ trade, some $18. Do your research before opening anything
    01-14-13 12:28 PM
    Go to your atm and take out as much cash as you want to invest. Buy as many Pizza's as possible with cash. Take pizza's to zoo and feed to bears.
    01-14-13 12:33 PM
    I'm in the UK too. Always wondered how to buy shares in USA / Canadian companies.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Look up Scott Trade or Share Builder. At least Scott Trade allows certain foreign residents to buy US stocks.
    01-14-13 01:10 PM
    Maybe someone can shed a little light on this for me.. I'm in no way a savy when it comes to stock, but I'd like to buy a few shares in RIM to show support.

My brokerage has the option for me purchase:

RIM:CDN - $14.65 - which I assume is on the TSX?

and

RIMM:US - 14.89 - which I assume is on the NYSE?

what's the real difference between buying the Canadian stock or the US stock? How will my choice affect me?
    01-14-13 02:55 PM
    If you go to your bank you can open up an investment account have it all tied together with your other finances. The rates per trade may not be as cheap as other companies however you can get set up the same day and start trading. Given the time sensitivity of RIM stock and the launch this is probably your best option so you don't have to wait days for credit checks etc...
    01-14-13 02:57 PM
    Maybe someone can shed a little light on this for me.. I'm in no way a savy when it comes to stock, but I'd like to buy a few shares in RIM to show support.

My brokerage has the option for me purchase:

RIM:CDN - $14.65 - which I assume is on the TSX?

and

RIMM:US - 14.89 - which I assume is on the NYSE?

what's the real difference between buying the Canadian stock or the US stock? How will my choice affect me?
    If you are residing in Canada my suggestion to you would be to open up a Tax Free Savings Account, put the money you want to invest in there and trade with those funds on the TSX. Any profits you make wont be taxed as income

The stocks are virtually the same and the difference usually accounts for the exchange rate.
    01-14-13 03:05 PM
    If you are residing in Canada my suggestion to you would be to open up a Tax Free Savings Account, put the money you want to invest in there and trade with those funds on the TSX. Any profits you make wont be taxed as income

The stocks are virtually the same and the difference usually accounts for the exchange rate.
    That seems like good advice thanks! Hopefully there aren't a whole pile of hoops to convert my current CIBC investor's edge account to a TFSA.. guess I got a phone call to make!
    nukemango likes this.
    01-14-13 03:19 PM