11-05-14 07:08 AM
36 12
tools
    As the title states, how? I already received my Passport today, a day early, but there is that not-so-good feeling of attachment to the removable battery of my Torch 9810.

Now that the Q10 is on sale, there is that temptation to buy the Q10 even though I need a bigger screen and physical QWERTY keyboard reason I bought the Passport.
    11-03-14 11:17 PM
    i don't understand how having a removable battery is a good feeling.
    i mean, batteries are pretty powerful and reliable these days, and non removable batteries don't have 'loose battery pins' problem, which often makes the phone restart/shutdown on shocks/jerks.

add- you have to have a removable battery is your phone OS is messed up, eg. BBOS 567, but that's not the case anymore
    11-03-14 11:43 PM
    So my passport doesn't have a fusion reactor core?

Lasts so long, you won't think of it again.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 11:46 PM
    i mean, batteries are pretty powerful and reliable these days, and non removable batteries don't have 'loose battery pins' problem, which often makes the phone restart/shutdown on shocks/jerks.

edit- you have to have a removable battery is your phone OS is messed up, eg. BBOS 567, but that's not the case anymore
    I understand where you are coming from. Being someone who needs his BlackBerry smartphone online all the time, even that small percentage of failure or being offline due to low battery, for whatever reason no socket is nearby, freaks me out. Even if let's say hypothetically non-removable batteries nowadays are 97% reliable; there is still that 3% chance of failure.
    11-03-14 11:50 PM
    As the title states, how? I already received my Passport today, a day early, but there is that not-so-good feeling of attachment to the removable battery of my Torch 9810.

Now that the Q10 is on sale, there is that temptation to buy the Q10 even though I need a bigger screen and physical QWERTY keyboard reason I bought the Passport.
    I have the same issue with non removable batteries, which is why I just stuck with a Z10 and a Q10.

I would just buy the Q10 if I were you, especially for $200 new.

The Passport is nice, but unless you read a whole lot of excel sheets and documents, it is not needed.

The Q10 can also last a full day without any issues.

But mostly, it is unlikely to see another BB phone with removable battery in the future.
    11-03-14 11:53 PM
    You get used to it. When I had a Z10 I'd gotten used to just plugging in the battery bundle anyway, since it didn't require powering down the phone. I had also set up my own little personal charging infrastructure with chargers at home in a few strategic places, at my desk at work, and of course in my car, and just got into the habit of plugging in whenever I had the chance to.

Keep a couple of external batteries handy and charged, too. They come in VERY handy for emergencies.

You eventually realize that removeable batteries aren't really that big a deal; they're more of a safety blanket than a massive benefit when there are alternative ways to accomplish the same things.
    djdragon likes this.
    11-03-14 11:58 PM
    I'm glad. Removable batteries were annoying

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 12:42 AM
    It didn't bother me one bit that I can't remove my Z30 battery. Love this phone

Posted via Z30 from the sunny Okanagan
    11-04-14 12:48 AM
    If the battery lasts all day without the need to recharge it then why would you need the battery to be removable

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.3289
    11-04-14 02:17 AM
    Never felt the difference... it was ok, as the batteries becomes Bigger and the battery performance improves.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 02:28 AM
    Get a USB fan, plug it into the OTG port to dry their tears?

Attachment 311974

Posted via CB10
    mkelley65 likes this.
    11-04-14 02:57 AM

add- you have to have a removable battery is your phone OS is messed up, eg. BBOS 567, but that's not the case anymore
    It's just like having a security blanket but there's actually a use for it.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 03:13 AM
    If the battery lasts all day without the need to recharge it then why would you need the battery to be removable

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.3289
    You shouldn't but removable > permanent

Posted via CB10
    jegs2 likes this.
    11-04-14 03:14 AM
  14. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Removable battery? With the Passport... I don't think about it as I just charge it once a day... when I go to sleep.

I also use my Z30 in wifi mode at home...

I can just see moving forward three years from now:
    "What... your blackberry battery only lasts a week before charging? " lol

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 04:13 AM
    Using Blackberrys since 2007, never once have I carried a spare battery. The only device that would sometimes punk out before the end of the day was the Z10. When that happened, my empire didn't crumble.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    bungaboy and mkelley65 like this.
    11-04-14 04:20 AM
    I never needed the removable battery unless it was to restart bbos devices or my samsung phone. I did like the idea of replacing the battery if it ever wore out but that day never came because I switch devices often.

So for me the transition was seamless.

Posted via CB10
    chickenman18 likes this.
    11-04-14 05:53 AM
    I just spent a long week on the road with my Passport. Didn't think about the battery the whole time. Got me through every day with lots to spare...no reboots either! )

BlackBerry Passport: posted via CB10
    11-04-14 07:37 AM
    I personally couldn't care less about not having a removable battery.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 07:56 AM
    Give the PP a try for a week or so of regular use, that uneasy feeling will go away, and if it does not then buy the Q10. I went from Z10 to Z30 and could careless about removing the battery. I almost didn't buy the Z30 because I felt like you did, but so over it now.
    11-04-14 08:10 AM
    I honestly prefer a device with a removable battery. It has extended the life and experience of my Z10 which has been bittersweet to say the least. I get the non removable battery argument but I also think it forces you to purchase a new device once the original battery begins to lose its "newness ".

No battery is meant to last forever and I just believe one can get more for their money, especially if buying unlocked, and overall functionality of a device over time by replacing a battery once it begins to go bad rather than purchasing a new device all together.

But by no means am I some tech expert. Just my opinion as a consumer that loves mobile technology.

Posted via CB10
    alternator77 likes this.
    11-04-14 09:38 AM
    I honestly prefer a device with a removable battery. It has extended the life and experience of my Z10 which has been bittersweet to say the least. I get the non removable battery argument but I also think it forces you to purchase a new device once the original battery begins to lose its "newness ".

No battery is meant to last forever and I just believe one can get more for their money, especially if buying unlocked, and overall functionality of a device over time by replacing a battery once it begins to go bad rather than purchasing a new device all together.

But by no means am I some tech expert. Just my opinion as a consumer that loves mobile technology.

Posted via CB10
    It's slightly difficult to replace a non removable one too but it's nothing close to impossible

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    11-04-14 09:44 AM
    I fear that it will be the same as how people will get over BlackBerry charging for BBM packages...

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 09:49 AM
    If you move to the Passport, the removal battery conversation goes away. I had a Z10, and I had to charge it every 6 hours or so. Very frustrating, so I got an extra battery. Moved to the Z30. Battery was MUCH better, but still didn't feel comfortable without a charger handy. Now that I got the Passport....I don't bother bringing a charger with me when I go out. Not needed at all. I unplug it in the morning when I wake up, and it still has over 40% battery when I go to bed. That's with moderate usage. On high usage days, I still might have 20 - 30% battery when I go to bed at 11pm. I never ever have to worry about a charger anymore, or worried about needing a 2nd battery.
    fanisk likes this.
    11-04-14 10:12 AM
    The benefits of a larger battery and no accidental restarts from loose connections is far greater than the benefits of a removable battery. Most people are now accustomed to having a charger at home/office/car so it doesn't really matter. If your worried about it, you can skip having to buy a second battery for every device you own (the only way that removable benefits you) and invest in a backup charger/battery combo. This is sure to pay for itself by lasting atleast your current and next phone.

BB for Life
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    11-04-14 02:05 PM

Posted via CB10
    This.

I have been telling people on here that rechargeable batteries deteriorate over time, and that having non removable battery forces people to replace phones every two years, but people cannot seem to understand this concept, even though it is a proven fact.

For me, I pay up to $700 for a phone, and I don't want to replace it every two years.

The battery is usually the first item to wear out in a phone.

I will be sticking with removable battery phones thank you.
    11-04-14 03:03 PM
36 12