Not sure if this is the proper section to ask about coverage. I currently have VZ and the signal at my house is bad. I got a network extender and it works well inside the house, but does not work outside the house. VZ says I live in a marginal coverage area even though I only live 2 miles outside the city limits and there are no tall buildings.

How can I determine if another carrier would have better coverage? I search for this answer but did not come up with any valuable info. Is there a site that would have DETAILED info on carrier coverage? I do not want to do the hit or miss approach since it would be costly and time consuming. While I had VZ tech support on the phone I asked him if some phones are better than others for cell reception and he said they are all about the same. I also asked if 4G would ber used for voice when it is switched on and he said no, it would be used for data. My NE2 will be up in a few months, so I am starting to investigate now if there are better phones or carriers in my area. If anybody has suggestions please let me know.

Thanks,

Barry
    09-07-10 08:47 PM
    All of the coverage maps provided by the carriers are no where near accurate.

This is the #1 site for 100% user reported dead zones for each of the US carriers.
    Cell Phone Coverage Maps - AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile

There are some areas that just don't get signal though..
    09-07-10 08:52 PM
    Spiral:

Deadcellzones was one of the sites I looked at, unfortunately when I look at my local area on their map there is no data. The only VZ reported outage was from me so I guess not many people know about this site or they do not take the time to report an issue. I guess the only thing I can do is the hit or miss plan. In the mean time I plan on asking my neighbors if they have a strong sig on their phone and if they do who is their carrier. There is a regional carrier with a cell tower not far from my house so I may start with them, I need to find out the details of their roaming agreement.

Barry
    09-08-10 09:06 AM
    Spiral:

Deadcellzones was one of the sites I looked at, unfortunately when I look at my local area on their map there is no data. The only VZ reported outage was from me so I guess not many people know about this site or they do not take the time to report an issue. I guess the only thing I can do is the hit or miss plan. In the mean time I plan on asking my neighbors if they have a strong sig on their phone and if they do who is their carrier. There is a regional carrier with a cell tower not far from my house so I may start with them, I need to find out the details of their roaming agreement.

Barry
    That's a great idea! All of my neighbors are so arrogant that I tend to forget asking around is even an option.

Best of luck in your search for an adequate carrier.
    09-08-10 10:52 AM
    In the mean time I plan on asking my neighbors if they have a strong sig on their phone and if they do who is their carrier.
    I could ask my neighbor when I see her out in her driveway making a phone call..... <G> Seriously, that would tell me what carrier to avoid.

For best signal my solution was a wireless router on my PC, a phone with WiFi, T-Mobile and UMA. Since neither VZW nor Sprint nor AT&T will provide coverage where I need it, UMA is the best option and that means T-Mobile. It also means no Android phone but at least I know I can use my phone anywhere I can find a Starbucks or.....

NOTE: FWIW there are websites that will show you WiFi locations, here's one:
    free wi-fi hotspots wifi cafes coffee shops hotels airports RV Parks
    09-08-10 11:05 AM
    I could ask my neighbor when I see her out in her driveway making a phone call..... <G> Seriously, that would tell me what carrier to avoid.

For best signal my solution was a wireless router on my PC, a phone with WiFi, T-Mobile and UMA. Since neither VZW nor Sprint nor AT&T will provide coverage where I need it, UMA is the best option and that means T-Mobile. It also means no Android phone but at least I know I can use my phone anywhere I can find a Starbucks or.....

NOTE: FWIW there are websites that will show you WiFi locations, here's one:
    free wi-fi hotspots wifi cafes coffee shops hotels airports RV Parks
    The OP has purchased a network extender and resolved his "in house" signal issues. He is looking for something that works well outside of the house (and Starbucks I'm assuming), which UMA wouldn't really fix.
    09-08-10 11:11 AM
    UMA really does fix it for me. I live in a very poor signal area, UMA allows me to use the phone at home and I need go only a block or two to get a strong 3G signal with 3 or more bars. My other main no-signal area is my sister's house in California, UMA works there and, again, I need go only a block or two to get a strong signal.

I've not had problems in the car, most carriers provide good signal along major routes.

When visiting other towns I can usually find a WiFi spot if there's no signal even if it means drinking a cup of the reclaimed battery acid that Starbucks calls "Coffee."

It depends on the size of the dead zone, the OP might take his phone on a tour of his area and observe the signal strength to create a map of the dead zone. If it's small he *may* need nothing other than his extender.
    09-08-10 01:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD