This is a really good article on why Jony Ive became the designer he is. And it has nothing to do with who he is, because a lot of designers can become like him, as long as a *cough* company *cough* like *cough* Blackberry *cough* become a "dream enabler" like what Apple did to Jony.

Some pointers Blackberry Interim CEO John Chen has to take from this article!

If Apple's success has proven anything, it's that many designers can become the next Jony Ive.
    How To Create The Next Jonathan Ive | Co.Design | business + design
    12-03-13 02:35 AM
    Thoughts anyone?
    12-05-13 04:07 AM
    You mean IDEO is not in the same class? Design is like Museum of Art, you have many masters. Eye candy depends on your taste. ID,is utilize knowledge of new material and process to make a functional tool with perceived,value greater than product price and way greater than its cost. Such a knowledge took years of training. Willingness to experimenting, and not afraid of failing.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 05:17 AM
    My thought is that the concept of thinking like Jobs in this regard is absolutely foreign and incomprehensible for most companies - they see it as a huge risk, and simply don't trust their employees to do their job well. Which is why companies like Apple and Google, who are very much exceptions to that rule and give their teams tremendous latitude and support, are so successful. Happy, empowered employees WANT and are ABLE to do a better job than those who aren't.

BB's culture has always been "the guy at the top (i.e., Mike) makes all the real decisions, and doesn't suffer disagreements or alternative opinions", and that's a BIG reason why BB is in the position they are today. Mike was in love with the keyboard and BIS compression and small, low-powered screens right up until the day he left, and was unwilling to embrace change, even when it was clear that BB was getting left behind. He thought he knew what people wanted, despite (at least some) people telling him (and risking their jobs in the process) he was clueless. I promise you that culture continues at BB today, because it was deeply embedded into every corner of the company when Mike left.

Perhaps Chen can turn it around, but that kind of massive corporate culture change rarely happens, and even the rare times it does, it doesn't happen quickly or easily. It often requires a replacement of most of the staff.
    12-05-13 05:23 AM
    Good Design = Great Marketing results. I think the design of the phones are good, but not to the point where they will amaze and drop jaws off.

Really need to think more holistically and not keep the old baggage evident on the phones.
    12-10-13 02:05 PM
    First things first, you really need to take cough syrup.

I do like how Apple puts Ivy in the spotlight. Maybe BB should do the same with TAT. But then again, BB is no where near apple and is terrible at presenting their products.
    12-10-13 02:16 PM
    First things first, you really need to take cough syrup.

I do like how Apple puts Ivy in the spotlight. Maybe BB should do the same with TAT. But then again, BB is no where near apple and is terrible at presenting their products.
    That's exactly what I am talking about, Blackberry needs to give more design room to its designers. That is prerequisite for any good product.
    12-10-13 02:23 PM