Mine is the minimum four characters with three attempts. I don't like to spend the extra five seconds to unlock my phone, but with my contacts and especially all the text messages with my children that have personal info, I'd freak if my phone got into the wrong hands.

I made an easy password for myself for quick entry, but I can't imagine a thief being able to figure out the four characters.
    07-13-08 11:24 AM
    My password - 9 characters
    Attempts - 4
    07-13-08 11:35 AM
    Keep in mind that if a thief keeps trying & trying passwords to get in, after 10 tries the BB will wipe itself.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-08 11:44 AM
    Keep in mind that if a thief keeps trying & trying passwords to get in, after 10 tries the BB will wipe itself.
    Good point Kathryn.

Or they'll show up here asking how to reset the counter back to 10
    07-13-08 11:46 AM

Another prime example why backing up daily is good

I do not have a device password, but my password for everything else is 10 chars... Usually get it first or second try

07-13-08 11:46 AM
    Mine is the minimum four characters with three attempts. I don't like to spend the extra five seconds to unlock my phone, but with my contacts and especially all the text messages with my children that have personal info, I'd freak if my phone got into the wrong hands.

I made an easy password for myself for quick entry, but I can't imagine a thief being able to figure out the four characters.
    There's no reason not to give yourself more attempts. Even with 10 attempts, a thief is unlikely to guess your password if it isn't obvious. There have been several people on here whose child used up their password attempts playing with the blackberry. Giving yourself more attempts gives you more time to intervene and stop a catastrophic wipe.
    07-13-08 12:59 PM
    7 characters with the 10 attempts

07-13-08 01:05 PM
    I have reccomended this to people for years. It is fairly secure and easy to use and remember. The forum does not support tables or tabs so i used '....'s.

A SIMPLE AND FAIRLY SECURE PASSWORD SYSTEM

Here’s a simple way to have a nearly un-crackable password that you can leave next to your PC.

Here’s how it works.

Populate the table below with words, numbers and valid symbols of your choice. DON’T use mine!
    Print it.
    Pick a word from each of the columns A, B & C to make your new password. e.g. april$zEbra (347)
    Remember the numbers 3 4 7 (in order) and that’s your password key.
    Now just look it up on the table and type it in.

You can leave the piece of paper by the PC because no one is going to be able to work out which combination you have used. However because you know the three key numbers 3 4 7, you can work out your password by looking at your piece of paper.
    If your organization requires that you have a number in the password then make one of the columns numeric.
    You can have any words in any combination of UPPER, lower case or numbers. Obviously you need to type the password you have chosen correctly using the correct case, numbers, symbols and shift keys.

A................................B......... C
    0 janUAry .... - .. elephant
    1 feBruary ... U .. Giraffe
    2 marCh ...... 9 .. Croc0dile
    3 april ...... & .. chicken
    4 november ... $ .. Horse
    5 June ....... ! .. anTelope
    6 decEmber ... + .. vulture
    7 august ..... T .. zEbra
    8 september .. 5 .. Cheetah
    9 banaNA ..... # .. mOon

This system is far more secure and flexible than using your partner’s birthday or your dog’s name.
    Last edited by Pete6; 07-13-08 at 01:14 PM.
    07-13-08 01:07 PM
    There's no reason not to give yourself more attempts. Even with 10 attempts, a thief is unlikely to guess your password if it isn't obvious. There have been several people on here whose child used up their password attempts playing with the blackberry. Giving yourself more attempts gives you more time to intervene and stop a catastrophic wipe.
    Good point. I'll change it to ten attempts.
    07-13-08 01:58 PM
    Nice tip, Pete! I may give that a try myself. I have an excel spreadsheet that I use to keep up with passwords, pins, frequent flyer numbers, etc...it has 115 rows...and doesn't include the two-factor codes, nor the really sensitive passwords...just the ones I don't use often enough to remember. That's pathetic!
    07-13-08 02:10 PM
    4 letters and 10 attempts!
    my phone is always locked when not in use!!
    07-13-08 02:30 PM
    6 keystrokes, 10 attempts....
    Mine is lockdown anytime I'm out of my house/car!
    07-13-08 03:36 PM
    Enough characters
    10 attempts

07-13-08 03:49 PM
    5 letters & 10 attempts
    07-13-08 04:07 PM
    When I have mine set its 8 characters with 10 attempts .... I would hate for everything to get taken out even though I have it backed up.
    07-13-08 04:24 PM
    i had 4 letters with 6 attempts and had a complete brain freeze . I could not remeber the passwrod and guess what? COMPLETE WIPE OUT so obviously today is not a good day for me !!
    07-13-08 06:28 PM
    Awesome system Pete.....
    07-13-08 08:56 PM
    Four with ten chances. Might need to make mine longer.
    07-13-08 09:54 PM
    7 characters 10 chances.

Just use something non-personally identifiable and you're fine. Shoot, my current password is a message to a would be thief of my blackberry trying to unlock it "f*ckoff"
    07-14-08 02:08 AM
    7 characters 10 chances.

Just use something non-personally identifiable and you're fine. Shoot, my current password is a message to a would be thief of my blackberry trying to unlock it "f*ckoff"
    That absolutely hilarious, oh and a great password, who would ever think of that! My sister has a pretty clever password for her computer log-in, guess what it is "password" when I found that out I couldn't stop laughing, so simple but no one would ever think of that!

07-14-08 02:23 AM
    That absolutely hilarious, oh and a great password, who would ever think of that! My sister has a pretty clever password for her computer log-in, guess what it is "password" when I found that out I couldn't stop laughing, so simple but no one would ever think of that!

I probably would. Did a quick google search, check this link
    10 Most Common Passwords - News and Analysis by PC Magazine

I've guessed passwords on windows machines using the hints people provide. Some are not hard if you know the person. Like my brother's hint "THE MAN and his number" was a piece of cake. I know he's a huge Michael Jordan fan, so "jordan23" <windows start sound plays>
    Last edited by SilverSurfR; 07-14-08 at 02:33 AM.
    07-14-08 02:31 AM
    I use a password after 1 hour of inactivity. I hate having to enter the password all the time, but like the security of it if lost. Combination of 8 letters and numbers and the default of 10 attempts.

Awesome idea Pete. I will have to give that a try.
    Last edited by jbonnot03; 07-14-08 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Shout out to Pete
    07-14-08 05:39 AM
    I change my password every week, 5 attempts, back up weekly. If I have a GF, I change it everytime I see her, LOL, I'm kidding...
    07-14-08 08:44 AM
    6 letters, 10 attempts
    07-14-08 08:48 AM
    6 letters\ 3 attempts.
    07-14-08 08:50 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD