I 've had my BB 8130 for a few months and i'm starting to see the trackball get a little gray. however, i'm not ready to explore dismantling my blackberry yet (maybe not ever). so can i clean it with the trackball still inside the housing safely?

i was thinking a little bit of alcohol on a cotton swab with the access squeezed from the tip. then rub the part of the trackball that is currently visible, wipe it with a soft cloth, rotate and repeat until i can see the difference.

is this a good idea? maybe i should use something other than alcohol. the goal is to get the trackball clean or semi clean without having to remove it.

any insight or experience are helpful
    04-12-08 04:35 PM
    I'm thinking that this is a bad idea, evan just a little moisture in the BB can be a big problem.
    04-12-08 04:47 PM
    JUST lick the trackball like its a candy haha jp umm i just keep rolling it
    04-12-08 04:48 PM
    I've actually done this. Just be sure to let it dry well before rolling the trackball, which doesn't take long with alcohol. and don't use too much - slightly damp is best.
    04-12-08 04:56 PM
    I've actually done this. Just be sure to let it dry well before rolling the trackball, which doesn't take long with alcohol. and don't use too much - slightly damp is best.
    Really, huh I would have thought that would not work. Guess that is why you are the man. Thanks for the info
    04-12-08 04:59 PM
    I've also followed the thread about removing and cleaning, and that went well too.
    04-12-08 05:00 PM
    yea u might be right. my bb got rained on a few times when i was holding it in my hand walking into a store or to my door. though and its still running smooth. it was by no means pouring but it was drizzling and a raindrop on a BB seems big.
    04-12-08 05:01 PM
    I've also followed the thread about removing and cleaning, and that went well too.
    I'm too afraid to do it on my own!
    04-12-08 05:28 PM
    Its really not a big deal! You don't need to take the whole berry apart...the ring around the trackball is separate from the rest of the housing. I think u can totally do it on ur own, jus have faith! Sit at a table, be gentle, and you will be fine...just don't get wild cus sum dude on here lost one of the little pieces that makes the trackball roll.

If ur very paranoid, do it inside a shoebox so u don't lose any parts lol.

Good luck!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-12-08 09:58 PM
    I use the alcohol method. Works great

04-12-08 10:02 PM
    I'm sure the alcohol method works fine but not as good as taking the ball out but still pretty effective. I'll probably just go with the alcohol method since it seems a little less time consuming maybe.
    04-12-08 10:21 PM
    Yeah its easy just take a small flathead screw driver gently pry up the left and right side of the trim ring and the trackball hosing comes out. Alchol prep pads work great just make sure its good and dry. Don't forget to remove the battery first. Once it is dry put it back in and the trim ring snaps back and should look better!

04-12-08 10:46 PM
    How does your trackball get dirty? I'm wiping mine down a lot with a microfiber wipe or my shirt. Just curious. I'm way to scared to mess with the ball. Don't get me wrong - I love balls just not this one enough to mess it up!

04-12-08 11:00 PM
    I'm gonna have to find that video on removing & cleaning bc my trackball is due for a cleaning.

04-12-08 11:06 PM
    my trackball gets dirty cause I am a car mechanic and i check messages while im working sometimes. i have yet to clean it, but i think ill try it tomorrow.
    04-12-08 11:34 PM
    I have tried this too...Cleans the ball well enough...Just ensure that you dont have too much alcohol on the Q tip
    04-12-08 11:43 PM
    The alcohol method works good as stated above do not use alot, alcohol dry's quickly and is perfect for electronics.
    04-12-08 11:44 PM
    my trackball gets dirty cause I am a car mechanic and i check messages while im working sometimes. i have yet to clean it, but i think ill try it tomorrow.
    That's how you really use these things.

I want to keep my blackberry clean but in the end I ask.. what's the point? It's a phone and as long as it works it's enough? people change their phones as frequently as they get a haircut. So why?
    06-24-08 03:37 AM
    That's how you really use these things.

I want to keep my blackberry clean but in the end I ask.. what's the point? It's a phone and as long as it works it's enough? people change their phones as frequently as they get a haircut. So why?
    well, If you don't have it like they do..then keeping your BB is a priority!!
    06-24-08 04:01 AM
    I've used alcohol on a Q tip... don't use much.
    06-24-08 07:23 AM
    or u can go to cnn.cn and get a brand new one for 8 bucks and save yourself the trouble!
    06-24-08 07:57 AM
    if you do open it up and try to clean the trackball, does this void your warrenty (if you still have one left)
    06-24-08 09:22 AM
    Probably easier to buy a new one from cnn for $8. It takes all of 2 minutes to remove and install on the 8130.
    06-24-08 11:05 AM
    Probably easier to buy a new one from cnn for $8. It takes all of 2 minutes to remove and install on the 8130.
    I'm guessing if she doesn't want to open it up to clean it though, she probably doesn't want to open it up to install a new one....

I would personally be scared because I am NOT good at taking things apart and putting them back together- haha.
    06-24-08 12:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD