Any suggestions?

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 09:34 AM
    I think the likes of AT&T need to vamp up their advertising, etc. But, I feel they are not because they're not getting as much 'kick back' from BlackBerry as say they would normally get from Apple.

That's just my opinion...
    04-14-13 09:38 AM
    I went to Best Buy last night and saw the Blackberry 10 display. There was a display with signs but you could not hold the phone and do the gestures. There was an Apple station and a Samsung display. I think Blackberry needs to get into the stores like Best Buy or Verizon with enthusiastic paid workers or volunteers that show off the phone. When people see what this phone can do people get excited. Aplle gives classes on their products maybe Blackberry needs to do that too!
    Acumenight likes this.
    04-14-13 09:55 AM
    I agree... You can always get some young energetic grads and train them...good experience for them and affordable marketing for BlackBerry...You don't need an MBA to show phone features.

Posted via CB10
    Acumenight likes this.
    04-14-13 10:05 AM
    BBRY has a big opp here.
    There are quite a few folks here who know the product better then some grad with 3 weeks training. I bet there would be a few who would be willing to go to the local best buy or att store as official BBRY reps/evangelists in return for some free devices and accessories. They would also be smart since they would provide ongoing training and support for the store staff.

Posted via CB10
    BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    04-14-13 02:16 PM
    The problem is that a lot of people need some apps that are not here yet. I am not an app junkie, so it doesn't really concern me, but most people love them. The biggest marketing favour they can do themselves, is to get them quick.

After that, I would suggest to speak more about the app restrictions. They are unique.

I love the idea that BBRY should look into forums and recruite people. This would be a consumer engagement unbeknownst to BBRY loyalists. It could even be better than the "Fan of the year" award.
    And that CrackBerry has the best fans, is no secret!

Posted via CB10
    BBVegasGirl80 and H_O_Boomaye like this.
    04-14-13 02:30 PM
    I think the TV spots need to showcase the phone more, instead of a concept like the Keep Moving commercial which barely shows the phone at all. People remember the commercial but not that it was showing a BlackBerry, kinda like the glowing bikes commercial. After that, people wanted a glowing bike but not a BlackBerry!

Then there was the "Tools not toys" commercial that basically contradicted itself. The message was tools not toys, but all they showed the BlackBerry doing was taking a pic and uploading it to twitter, something even feature phones had been able to do for years before that commercial aired.

I think a spot that showcases the phone in work and play would be best. Say a young businesswoman does an entire presentation from her phone using BBM video and screen share. She ends up landing a big client thanks to that presentation. After work she rounds up her friends (maybe showing Balance switching from business to personal, and showing her friends in a group BBM chat to coordinate) to go out to celebrate. She uses maps to navigate to a new nightspot. She meets a cute guy (or girl, whatever) and scans his/her BBM barcode. Etc etc etc, just showing the phone in action and how it can be a useful device no matter what you're doing.

ETA: She could buy her friends a round of drinks using NFC!
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 04-14-13 at 04:05 PM.
    04-14-13 02:51 PM
    For a commercial, I like your idea a lot. It has a nice storyline. Is easily understood, and caters to a broad audience. It conveys emotions, that you can be happy, because of your phone. That you achieve more, using a BlackBerry and that it helps you to keep your work life balance in check. (maybe introduce balance in the spot?)

I love your analysis of the tools not toys spot. That was an epic fail....

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin and kbz1960 like this.
    04-14-13 02:59 PM
    All great ideas..keep them coming..!!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 03:00 PM
    I am still baffled because of the obviousness and awesomeness of PantlessPenguin's pitch.
    I think her post was one of the bests, concerning the marketing of the phone in a commercial, we had in a long time here.
    The concept is really simple, but has everything you need to convey, what BBRY wants to stand for.
    I am even more baffled, because one single CB contributor had a better idea for a commercial, than a paid armada of marketing guys, who came up with the "Tools not toys" commercial.

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin and kbz1960 like this.
    04-14-13 03:44 PM
    I went to Best Buy last night and saw the Blackberry 10 display. There was a display with signs but you could not hold the phone and do the gestures. There was an Apple station and a Samsung display. I think Blackberry needs to get into the stores like Best Buy or Verizon with enthusiastic paid workers or volunteers that show off the phone. When people see what this phone can do people get excited. Aplle gives classes on their products maybe Blackberry needs to do that too!
    I think the solution is to put BlackBerry geniuses in each store to educate people. Store clerks are not enough as their bias will not allow them to give the phone a fair try.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 05:11 PM
    BlackBerry isn't certainly sitting on their hands in regards to marketing. They've hired the best minds to work on this. They are working daily with ad agencies to adjust to the day to day operations.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 05:20 PM
    Show someone searching for "Star Trek" at BlackBerry World and being presented with a plethora of games, apps, TV shows, movies and music. Show them that, no, Virginia, it's not a dead ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    toobs623 likes this.
    04-14-13 05:28 PM
    A funny spot that ends with somebody saying, "This isn't a smart phone, it's a genius phone! " would be cool too.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    04-14-13 05:31 PM
    They hired the best to build BB10 like the astonishing tribe to build the best interfaces...they acquired QNX to build the best possible OS... i am NOT sure if they hired the best on marketing as well... they keep showing only one commercial with random transitions...they can do better...

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    04-14-13 06:22 PM
    I definitely think they need to ramp up the commercials showing what the device can do. Something like a family BBM group, where one parent adds the kid's soccer game to the group calendar and it shows up on the other right away, or using it for the grocery list. The Verizon BBM video commercial is a good start.

I also think they need to get more BlackBerry reps out to the different stores and make sure that the sales staff are properly trained and marketing materials are on display (they can even hire me), or at least get real reports on store statuses.

I also think they need to have some commercials where they show off the features without telling people which phone it is until after they give their opinion. They can end the commercial with the person saying, "Wow. That's a BlackBerry?"

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 09:15 PM
    Agreed..good ideas's

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 09:39 PM
    Having all core apps is essential, how many times I heard that BlackBerry is cool but no Skype, vibe, in stage am, etc

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 11:08 PM
    Why don't they open BBM to iOS and Androids..that ways most people would not need Skype...i am very suspicious of Skype as they are owned by Microsoft and why would they ever build something to support their direct competition in mobile..

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 11:33 PM
    You know that I am ultimately for that proposition. BBM on other devices should be available. It is a one of a kind messaging experience.

MS has to support other platforms because their market share is more or less inexistant as of now. We have the confirmation that it's coming and that the beta ended/will end soon.
    BBRY is their direct competition, but as long as they have a Win-win, you do not have to be suspicious.
    If Nokia and MS gain over 20% market share until the end of the year, than suspicions can rearise.

I'm still loving pantlesspenguin's idea for a commercial. Add the "That's a BlackBerry?!" line to it, and the self irony could really sway some people.
    More reps are always a good thing.

I am living in Switzerland, and damn, I haven't seen one commercial for the new devices. (our market is not a special one, we always get the same commercials Germany/France/Italy gets, so that tells me that there aren't a lot of them)
    How to market a Product better, that is not marketed... Well, that's a simple one.

And I seriously believe, that the BBRY marketing team should step up their game. I can only repeat it, but that the "Tools not toys" commercial was approved... Shows us that they have at least one ***** in upper management.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-15-13 12:16 AM
    I think a spot that showcases the phone in work and play would be best. Say a young businesswoman does an entire presentation from her phone using BBM video and screen share. She ends up landing a big client thanks to that presentation. After work she rounds up her friends (maybe showing Balance switching from business to personal, and showing her friends in a group BBM chat to coordinate) to go out to celebrate. She uses maps to navigate to a new nightspot. She meets a cute guy (or girl, whatever) and scans his/her BBM barcode. Etc etc etc, just showing the phone in action and how it can be a useful device no matter what you're doing.

ETA: She could buy her friends a round of drinks using NFC!
    There is a new one. A Verizon commercial that showcases the screen sharing. Saw it the other night. Shows BBM video chat and the screen sharing.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-15-13 12:54 AM
    @south I have seen it on YouTube looks good...i hope they release BBM for other OS and then I would not need skype.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 07:26 AM
    There is a new one. A Verizon commercial that showcases the screen sharing. Saw it the other night. Shows BBM video chat and the screen sharing.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    I've seen it, I think. The one where the chick is showing her boss houses while she's on vacation?
    04-15-13 09:26 AM
    Having an iPhone,nexus7,9900 and a playbook I can say the potential that qnx has as far as app quality and how an app can function over say an iPhone or an android app needs to be show. Take an app like blaq for instance. Totally gesture based and makes all other twitter apps look plain.

I think blackberry needs to team with Facebook and twitter and some of the other big name apps and help them develop features on a bb10 app that other os's cannot do.

Once that's done market it as only able to do on the. Ee blackberry.

I think that will get people talking and looking at their phones wondering why a brand new phone cannot do whatever this feature or features are.

Thats my idea.

Sent using Tapatalk
    04-15-13 09:34 AM
    pantlesspenguin: Could not have said it better!
    04-15-13 09:45 AM
92 123 ...