I was just having a look around Google Play to see if there was anything new that might catch my eye and I came across this one. It's called Hack Facebook. In the description, screen shot below, it advertises successfully hacking people's Facebook password. Now, how can anyone condone apps that break privacy laws, and give them placement in their marketplace? I'm constantly amazed at how few scruples Google seems to have.

How can a company allow this sort of thing?-img_20140317_174029.png

Posted via CB10
    03-17-14 04:45 PM
    Well android / Google promotes this because they don't respect ones right to privacy, so what makes you think that they care? I wont be surprised that they sold information to the developer to aid in this type of delinquency.

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn and joejuck like this.
    03-17-14 04:54 PM
    Its most likely a gag, as typically that type of thing is removed, rather quickly.
    03-17-14 05:02 PM
    Its most likely a gag, as typically that type of thing is removed, rather quickly.
    There are quite a few gag ones that I noticed as well, and you are probably right, but they also say so right in their description. After I saw this one, and posted it, I found quite a few other "questionable" apps within the store. It just blows my mind that a reputable company puts allows this type of thing in their store.
    03-17-14 05:07 PM
    More than likely these type of apps are mining your info if you install it. So it's kind of a karma thing. Lol
    03-17-14 05:12 PM
    There are quite a few gag ones that I noticed as well, and you are probably right, but they also say so right in their description. After I saw this one, and posted it, I found quite a few other "questionable" apps within the store. It just blows my mind that a reputable company puts allows this type of thing in their store.
    I wish they'd tighten the reigns on what content gets put through to Play. I just went through and reported all the ones I could find, and I'd hope others do the same. My guess is they might not even be aware of these.
    03-17-14 05:12 PM
    Terrible for a developer to make such an app. Where is ones sense of morality.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-14 05:19 PM
    I wish they'd tighten the reigns on what content gets put through to Play. I just went through and reported all the ones I could find, and I'd hope others do the same. My guess is they might not even be aware of these.
    Yes they need a appoint a small team to moderate the apps that get published on Google play.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-17-14 05:26 PM
    Terrible for a developer to make such an app. Where is ones sense of morality.

Posted via CB10
    For me, it's not the developer (well it is to a point but we all know that there are shady folk out there) but the fact that these sorts of apps are listed in the store itself. I even found one that is for NFC card reading. They say "not to be used for illegal activity" in the description. There's also wifi hacking apps to hack into someones locked wifi signal. These are just a couple examples of shady apps I found within just a minute of scrolling the top new free section.
    03-17-14 05:29 PM
    For me, it's not the developer (well it is to a point but we all know that there are shady folk out there) but the fact that these sorts of apps are listed in the store itself. I even found one that is for NFC card reading. They say "not to be used for illegal activity" in the description. There's also wifi hacking apps to hack into someones locked wifi signal. These are just a couple examples of shady apps I found within just a minute of scrolling the top new free section.
    That is really bad man. Yh, they Need to have app moderators that control what is accepted. that is not cool.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-14 05:32 PM
    I read an article about an app on play, that hacks an airplane, and allows the user to overtake the controls and wreck it. Luckily, it is nearly impossible to do something like that, unless the hacker had some real gear. They really need to be closer to Apple in terms of filtering.
    03-17-14 06:56 PM
    There have been a number of funky apps in BlackBerry World too.

That said, Google Play is known as a cesspool, they mostly rely on automated processes to vet apps and they miss a lot of things. Remember all the fake BBM apps?

Worse yet are the various 3rd-party app stores for Android - some security analysts believe that is one of the main reasons there is so much malware on Android, because a lot of people install apps from all and sundry miscellaneous 3rd-party app stores.

Which gets back to the old I.T. axiom: the main source of insecurity are your own users.
    03-17-14 07:18 PM
    I read an article about an app on play, that hacks an airplane, and allows the user to overtake the controls and wreck it. Luckily, it is nearly impossible to do something like that, unless the hacker had some real gear. They really need to be closer to Apple in terms of filtering.
    Oh yeah, that app was developed by a small app company called Called It Applications. Or something like that...

Hehe. Who in their right mind would download an app for that?

Report these apps and move on. If Google didn't screen them, at least you should have the common sense to. Report it and help save others from stupidity.

Ok stay safe.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-17-14 07:21 PM
    There have been a number of funky apps in BlackBerry World too.

That said, Google Play is known as a cesspool, they mostly rely on automated processes to vet apps and they miss a lot of things. Remember all the fake BBM apps?

Worse yet are the various 3rd-party app stores for Android - some security analysts believe that is one of the main reasons there is so much malware on Android, because a lot of people install apps from all and sundry miscellaneous 3rd-party app stores.

Which gets back to the old I.T. axiom: the main source of insecurity are your own users.
    As for the last statement, I agree 100%. As a retailer though, they should be accountable for what they expose their users to. Of course, these types of apps can be downloaded, but when one buys an Android, Apple, BlackBerry, or WP device, one expects the apps on the native stores to be safe and respectable. Reality or not, expectations are there... or at least should be.
    03-17-14 07:57 PM
    As for the last statement, I agree 100%. As a retailer though, they should be accountable for what they expose their users to. Of course, these types of apps can be downloaded, but when one buys an Android, Apple, BlackBerry, or WP device, one expects the apps on the native stores to be safe and respectable. Reality or not, expectations are there... or at least should be.

Not really.

The failure of Blackberry in recent years, along with the huge success of Android, is testament to the fact that by-and-large, end-users don't give the tiniest leap about security and privacy until it bites their @ss off (and their legs too), and then only long enough to get back into their email account, whereupon they promptly forget all about it again.

Call me cynical, but I've been doing I.T. work professionally for over 20 years now.

One thing I've discovered and have been reminded repeatedly is there is little joy in trying to "protect people from themselves". Because the more devoted you are to that undertaking, the more people will resent you for "repressing their freedom". It's oftentimes a thankless task.

Microsoft has known for years that their users respond more positively and spend more dollars based on being given "new stuff" than by "increasing security".

The fact that it has taken this many years and Snowden's revelations and tons of people STILL don't give a leap about these things, should seal the deal.

Yeah, I'm cynical.

So while it would not be the way *I* would choose to run things if I were Emperor of Android, Google in fact is giving customers what they want: "more stuph, faster and cheaper".
    Davidro1 likes this.
    03-17-14 08:27 PM