Hello,

I just bought a BlackBerry 8520. I have both a BlackBerry BIS plan, and a normal data plan. However, in the BIS plan I have several MBs of traffic, while the normal data plan includes 100 MB. So it would be better to use the normal data plan instead of BIS. Also, I have a WiFi connection at home. So I have several questions on when BIS traffic is counted instead of WiFi or normal carrier traffic:

1) When I am connected to the WiFi network and I am using the Internet Browser, the traffic doesn't go through BIS (assuming that the Browser is set to Hotspot Browser in the Options). Am I correct?
    2) Push e-mail traffic goes through BIS even if I am connected to WiFi, right?
    3) How about the AppWorld traffic (OTA)? (I think it also goes through BIS)
    4) Can I route the applications traffic thorugh WiFi or carrier connection only? I have seen that I can set the application permissions for each app to allow traffic through Server Network, Internet, Wi-Fi. But, I have tested this on the Facebook app, by setting the Server Network and Internet to "Prompt"; I started the application when I was not connected to Wi-Fi, and it showed me the latest updates without asking me anything.
    5) Is there any method for blocking apps to go through the BIS?
    6) Do you know if the Gmail app in particular can be setup to use my carrier data traffic, rather than BIS?

Thank you,
    Horatiu
    12-27-09 02:31 PM

Does your carrier support UMA? It will be displayed in place of the network signal when active.

If so, yes is the answer to most of your questions. UMA supports voice, text and data over your Wifi connection.

If not, you may have to do some testing to determine which are true and which are not. Use the settings under Connections to shut off your carrier for testing.
    12-27-09 04:48 PM
    I am almost sure that my carrier (Orange Romania) doesn't have UMA enabled. I see EDGE in my phone's upper right corner.

I've installed Opera Mini and it seems to go through my carrier connection. But I need a way to check for each application in part. Is there a way to turn off BIS traffic capability (i.e. to simulate not having any Blackberry subscription, just a standard data plan)?

Thanks,
    Horatiu
    12-28-09 10:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD