I've read through a number of different threads, done searches, etc. but am still confused about the best way to protect my Blackberry if I lose it or if it gets stolen.

I bought BerryLocator, which seems to work well if you misplace your phone (since I have a habit of misplacing it in the house on occasion). However, since buying it I also enabled a password so my phone would lock after one hour thinking that would wipe the device if someone stole the phone. I read in one thread though that the noise/sound for BerryLocator wouldn't work if the phone is locked, however, so that concerns me. I also read in another thread that if you have the phone locked, it only wipes personal data if they misenter the password 10 times, so other programs, etc. remain, so this doesn't seem that secure.

I've also read through several threads on RobLock and GetItBack, which sound like they would be good to have but it seems features are duplicated so I can't figure out if having both on top of BerryLocator is overkill, or whether if I bought them I should disable the password on my phone and just rely on these program(s) instead. I've found having to enter the password constantly to be sort of annoying, so I've been considering disabling the locking anyway. Plus if locking it disables my ability to find my phone if I set it down somewhere in the house (using BerryLocator) I'd prefer locking be off anyway.

Basically, what I want is the ability to:
    • remote lock if the phone is lost/stolen
    • retrieve contact information remotely
    • know whether someone is using the phone if it is lost/stolen
    • remotely wipe data if the above is true
    • annoy the heck out of any person who steals my Berry (somewhere I read that the Berry can shout "This phone is stolen!" repeatedly, which would be sort of fun...
    • let people who find the Berry how to return it to its rightful owner

Part of the confusion is that some of the writeups on RobLock emphasize SIM cards, but I'm on a CDMA system so I'm not sure it would do me any good.

If anyone is using these programs and has some tips/recommendations I'd love to hear them!
    07-13-08 03:07 PM
    if you want a program to do all that I would say you'll have better luck just not losing your BlackBerry�

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-08 03:15 PM
    if you want a program to do all that I would say you'll have better luck just not losing your BlackBerry�

LMAO!!!! You're right!
    07-13-08 03:19 PM
    Here's what you can do with the built-in software: You lock the entire device. But before you dismiss that as too much hassle, consider this: Your friends' and family's personal, private information is in your call logs and address book. You owe it to them to password protect your device. You can always get a new phone. Do you want some thief (or worse) having your daughter's picture, home address, and phone number?

You can also encrypt your microSD card separately. Depending on what you use it for, that might also be a good idea. It is not wiped when the bb wipes after 10 incorrect attempts. Obviously it can also be removed from the device and used separately.

Protect your friends and family!

It's also a good idea to put a number to call in case found in your owner info field. That way, if somebody finds your locked bb, they can call you to return it. I lost mine in the Washington DC Metro. Because it was locked with a number to call if found, I had it back in four hours.

Specific Instructions
    Options/Security Options/General Settings/
    Password: Enabled
    Number of Password Attempts: 10
    Security Timeout: your choice
    Prompt on Application Install: No
    Lock Handheld Upon Holstering: your choice
    Allow Outgoing Calls While Locked: No
    Content Compression: Enabled
    Content Protection: Enabled
    Strength: Strong
    Include Address Book: No

With these settings, your caller ID will still work, but if you lose your blackberry, no one can make calls on it and your friends' and family's personal information in your address book is protected.

Press the Escape key. You'll be prompted to enter a password and verify it. BE SURE YOU REMEMBER IT. There is no way to bypass the password on a blackberry. If you forget it, you will have no choice but to wipe the blackberry back to its factory-out-of-the-box configuration, which deletes all user data and resets the password. You can then use the phone.

If you exceed your password attempts limit (defaults to 10, but you can set it as low as 3), you will be prompted one last time to type the word blackberry. The device will then wipe. It will be reset to the factory out-of-the-box condition, and the password reset. You will lose everything in the device memory, with no possibility of recovery. It will not reformat the microSD card, since that's not part of the factory configuration. The phone will still be usable, and the operating system will be unchanged. So this technique cannot be used to roll back from an OS upgrade problem.
    07-13-08 03:29 PM
    I agree with JeffH....any time I leave the house, I automatically password protect my BB. I have personal info, family info and client info on my BB and while I know where it is 24/7, if there is even a remote possibility that I might lose it, then I'll password protect it.

I also back up (sync) my BB at least 1x/week to make sure that if it IS lost/stolen, that at least I have my data stored so I can still retrieve it.
    07-13-08 03:32 PM

Actually, the things I listed are features of the programs I mentioned according to the reviews and threads I've read. Do you know anything about those programs?
    07-13-08 03:34 PM
    I don't use anything other than the password. If I lose the phone they can't get any of my info off of it and I have everything backed up and have insurance so if I lose my BlackBerry� then I call asurion give them $50 and use the desktop manager to restore my info.

07-13-08 03:44 PM
    Thanks so much for sharing your settings, Jeff. I had much of that already set, but didn't have content protection enabled because I wasn't sure what it was. I do understand what you are saying as to why locking is so important. I also realize that I need to change my owner screen, as I have an ICE number on there but also my addresses -- probably not too smart.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to put on the owner screen?

I'd also still be interested in hearing from anyone using the programs I mentioned to see if they would provide even more protection by things not covered by the locking procedure.
    07-13-08 03:47 PM
    Thanks so much for sharing your settings, Jeff. I had much of that already set, but didn't have content protection enabled because I wasn't sure what it was. I do understand what you are saying as to why locking is so important. I also realize that I need to change my owner screen, as I have an ICE number on there but also my addresses -- probably not too smart.

Mine has my name and employer, some dire legal threats, and a toll-free number to call if found. The wording is set by my IT Policy and I can't change it. I agree, don't put your home address there. You might consider the address of your local police station, or your local carrier store, especially if you bought it there and they know you.
    07-13-08 04:00 PM
    My owner screen has my ICE contacts, so if there is an emergency and I cannot dial my ICE contacts myself, and the BB is locked, someone can still access the owner screen and see my ICE contacts for me.
    07-13-08 05:09 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've added one ICE contact and deleted the addresses. I should probably add a few more, though, in case one number isn't accessible for some reason.

I'm still interested in hearing from anyone who uses RobLock or GetItBack, to see if they think these offer any other advantages to simply locking the Blackberry. Given what I've read so far, I'm not sure they are really necessary though. Am I wrong?
    07-13-08 09:17 PM
    I don't need any lock programs as my Berry never leaves my sight for a second. Its like forgetting your wedding ring (if you are married that is) or something. Just never let you Berry leave your sight.

07-13-08 09:25 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've added one ICE contact and deleted the addresses. I should probably add a few more, though, in case one number isn't accessible for some reason.

I'm still interested in hearing from anyone who uses RobLock or GetItBack, to see if they think these offer any other advantages to simply locking the Blackberry. Given what I've read so far, I'm not sure they are really necessary though. Am I wrong?
    I'm not familiar with either. The fundamental problem with the password lock is that when the phone wipes, it's usable again. So while your personal data is gone and your privacy protected, the thief can still use your phone. Of course, the wipe takes over an hour, by which time the thief has probably tossed the phone in the trash as useless.

Verizon has a subscription application that lets you track the location of a cell phone using its built-in GPS. They market it to parents. You install it on your child's phone, and you know where they are. If you were willing to track yourself, and you lost your phone, you'd know where it was. It might be something for you to consider. I haven't used it, so I don't know how well it works.
    07-13-08 09:26 PM
    I don't need any lock programs as my Berry never leaves my sight for a second. Its like forgetting your wedding ring (if you are married that is) or something. Just never let you Berry leave your sight.
    LOL, Mobiman!!! Do you sleep with it under your pillow?
    07-13-08 09:43 PM
    The fundamental problem with the password lock is that when the phone wipes, it's usable again. So while your personal data is gone and your privacy protected, the thief can still use your phone. Of course, the wipe takes over an hour, by which time the thief has probably tossed the phone in the trash as useless.
    Interesting, JeffH. I didn't know that. Of course, determined thieves may also know that too. While they may hope to get a Blackberry with intact data they could possibly use for nefarious purposes, they may also know that if it is password protected they will get a usable phone eventually even if data is wiped. This might mean that programs such as the others would be useful.

Berry Locator does do GPS location, but you need to have GPS enabled on the phone for it to work. I'm not sure if the phone's internal GPS is crippled whether it would work or not. I'm on Alltel, but don't subscribe to their navigation program, and I found that enabling it then deleting removes GPS functionality so I think that loophole has closed. I just bought a puck, but that won't help if the phone is lost or stolen.

Hope I get some replies to this thread regarding the other two programs. I did searches and read several threads, but as I said I'm confused as to what additional benefits they provide over locking alone. Ideally it would be nice to irritate the heck out of any thief by making tons of noise or sending messages asking for the phone to be returned.
    07-13-08 09:49 PM
    I use GetItBack and think it's awesome. Unfortunarely, there is no ideal program for what you're looking for. At least not yet. Combined with the features of your phone as described by others in this thread you can have at least a little piece of mind. An oh yeah, GetItBack has the alarm feature you asked about. The best thing to do is to try the trial at Convenience Software.

07-22-08 12:31 PM
    Quick question, this thread is very informative and all, but what can you do about contacts that are on the sim card? I just upgraded from a razr to a pearl and all my contacts were transferred over using the sim card. So if my blackberry were to wipe its information would it wipe out the sim card as well? Just curious.
    07-22-08 02:39 PM
    My BB is as secure as Fort Knox! Ha! I learned that lesson LONG AGO about securing my BB (and phones I had before it). There have been times individuals have asked to "borrow" my phone to make a call. While they were doing it, they were getting info (mainly phone #'s) out of my phone. How I found out was one day that individual called a friend of mine and that friend then called me wondering how that individual got their number. After that, I NEVER let ANYONE use my phone PERIOD. If they had to use my phone, I would dial for them and put it on speaker phone so they could talk (while the phone is in my hands). I keep a lot of personal information in my phone (i.e. bank acct #, credit card #'s) but not my DL # or SSN and I always keep my phone clipped to me versus in my purse just in case my purse gets lost.

My favorite game...go to a party and leave my BB out and walk away from it. Come back and see the # of attempts that were made to get into it LOL...you'd be surprised. The worst is when you leave your BB in the presence of a guy you're dating and when you come back, you learn that he tried to hack into it Enter Password (3/10): ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

At any rate...I would like to learn how to secure/encrypt the media card? I do have pics on there (not naked pics of myself) that I wouldn't want out there.
    07-23-08 04:03 PM
    Generally, CDMA phones are unusable on other carriers and you can call your carrier to have it blacklisted if lost/stolen.

07-23-08 04:26 PM
    Ok, now I'm scared
    07-23-08 04:30 PM
    I've read through a number of different threads, done searches, etc. but am still confused about the best way to protect my Blackberry if I lose it or if it gets stolen.

I bought BerryLocator, which seems to work well if you misplace your phone (since I have a habit of misplacing it in the house on occasion). However, since buying it I also enabled a password so my phone would lock after one hour thinking that would wipe the device if someone stole the phone. I read in one thread though that the noise/sound for BerryLocator wouldn't work if the phone is locked, however, so that concerns me. I also read in another thread that if you have the phone locked, it only wipes personal data if they misenter the password 10 times, so other programs, etc. remain, so this doesn't seem that secure.

I've also read through several threads on RobLock and GetItBack, which sound like they would be good to have but it seems features are duplicated so I can't figure out if having both on top of BerryLocator is overkill, or whether if I bought them I should disable the password on my phone and just rely on these program(s) instead. I've found having to enter the password constantly to be sort of annoying, so I've been considering disabling the locking anyway. Plus if locking it disables my ability to find my phone if I set it down somewhere in the house (using BerryLocator) I'd prefer locking be off anyway.

Basically, what I want is the ability to:
    • remote lock if the phone is lost/stolen
    • retrieve contact information remotely
    • know whether someone is using the phone if it is lost/stolen
    • remotely wipe data if the above is true
    • annoy the heck out of any person who steals my Berry (somewhere I read that the Berry can shout "This phone is stolen!" repeatedly, which would be sort of fun...
    • let people who find the Berry how to return it to its rightful owner

Part of the confusion is that some of the writeups on RobLock emphasize SIM cards, but I'm on a CDMA system so I'm not sure it would do me any good.

If anyone is using these programs and has some tips/recommendations I'd love to hear them!

Its simple. Go to the blackberry site and download Blackberry unite! Blackberry unite is sort of like mobile me for iphone, but its for blackberrys. It wirelessly syncs all of your calendars and contact etc. And. It gives you the option of COMPLETELY wiping, deleting and deactivating you phone (including apps). So if you ever lost you blackberry and are worried about other people veiwing your personal infromation, no matter where it is you can COMPLETELY wipe it. Hope that helps.

07-23-08 05:02 PM
    Its simple. Go to the blackberry site and download Blackberry unite!...
    Before you follow this advice, do a simple forum search on Unite. You will find people very unhappy with this software. At least in its first incarnation, it was very difficult to remove once installed, due to the IT policy it put on your phone. The problems caused by Unite! were much worse and immediate than the risk of theft of the phone.
    07-23-08 08:13 PM
    ...I would like to learn how to secure/encrypt the media card?...
    If you took the pictures with the Blackberry camera, you can encrypt them on the Media Card such that they can only be read on your blackberry. This protects you if someone removes the card from your device. Options/Media Card/Encryption Mode. The Blackberry User Guide has all the details.

Unfortunately, if you took the pictures with an external device and copied them to the Media Card, you cannot encrypt them with the built-in blackberry software. There are 3rd party apps available that will do that. I don't recall the names, but a forum search should turn them up.
    07-23-08 08:18 PM
    i think you should contact James Bond!!!!!1
    07-26-08 04:08 PM
    If you took the pictures with the Blackberry camera, you can encrypt them on the Media Card such that they can only be read on your blackberry. This protects you if someone removes the card from your device. Options/Media Card/Encryption Mode. The Blackberry User Guide has all the details.

Unfortunately, if you took the pictures with an external device and copied them to the Media Card, you cannot encrypt them with the built-in blackberry software. There are 3rd party apps available that will do that. I don't recall the names, but a forum search should turn them up.
    Thanks for the heads up. I read the manual and it showed me how to do it. So far so good...
    08-13-08 11:50 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD