I hear you, but here is where it gets a bit dicey. A mindset,
    mentality, attitude are intangibles. You have to sell the product.

You have to demonstrate what the product can do, how it will
    help them in all aspects of their lives. Do that and the mentality
    will take care of itself. Don't do that and your ad will almost
    assuredly fail to capture attention.
    I completely agree with amazinglygraceless. I want to know what the phone could do if I'm the one paying for it. If mom and dad are and they don't care about the price then maybe I'll think about getting whatever is considered the "cool" phone.

I remember when I was a cool teen it was mandatory to have the all the cool things. Many times I found that those that weren't so cool usually got the better things that actually brought satisfaction. By the time I realized that the next big cool thing was coming out and I was getting whatever I needed set in place to be the first to get it.

OMG, I'm so glad I grew out of that....hehe.
    10-17-09 12:47 PM
    You want to attract 18-24yr olds? Try nekkid women n beer

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    No no, don't you watch the commercials on television? It's the beer that brings the nekkid women in the first place.

Maybe start the ad off looking like it's a beer commercial with a bunch of good looking young men and women playing volleyball at the beach and drinking beer. Then have some sterotypical nerd show up. The young men would kind of chuckle about the outsider and then the nerd would pull out his BlackBerry and all the young hot chicks would flock to the nerd and he would walk away with them turning and winking at the now drunk chickless dudes on the beach.

Still sounds like a beer ad though, but I usually ask at the end of those ads, "What did that have to do with the beer?"
    10-17-09 12:54 PM
    lindsay lohan has one period.... lol

I feel like a huge thing about BB's that will attract 18 to 24 year olds BBM. It gives them a sense of community and being apart of something. "BBM is the new aim"
    10-17-09 01:09 PM
    Let me guess either you live in southern Orange County or in the hills near the beach in L.A.?
    Try a little farther south, I live in Rancho Santa Fe in San Diego. Not as well known as the places you mentioned but people here still have plenty of cash to throw around on toys. My street is filled with new Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, etc. Garages are for the Lamborghini's and Maserati's

And I drive a civic...
    Last edited by Scones2; 10-18-09 at 03:02 AM.
    10-17-09 04:46 PM
    Try a little farther south, I live in Rancho Santa Fe in San Diego. Not as well known as the places you mentioned but people here still have plenty of cash to throw around on toys. My street is filled with new Mercedes, BMX, Lexus, etc. Garages are for the Lamborghini's and Maserati's

And I drive a civic...
    At least you drive.
    10-17-09 04:51 PM
    I have 2 (20, and 21) daughters in college. older daughter is happy with her trusty LG phone, younger daughter (only 15 months apart) wanted a BB....she is into tech stuff.

I actually tried to talk her out of it based on her having to pay an additional $30 per month for the data. Wiil you really use it to it's fullest and get your monies worth? She said Yes. She loves her 8330 Curve as I do, but I don't really think she uses it to it's potential.

also.....interesting enough, my daughters still come to me (mom) for all the tech stuff as I guess I stayed up on it.
    Last edited by gregmar; 10-17-09 at 05:41 PM.
    10-17-09 05:10 PM
    I have 2 (20, and 21) daughters in college. older daughter is happy with her trusty LG phone, younger daughter (only 15 months apart) wanted a BB....she is into tech stuff.

I actually tried to talk her out of it based on her having to pay an additional $30 per month for the data. Wiil you really use it to it's fullest and get your monies worth? She said Yes. She loves her 8330 Curve as I do, but I don't really think she uses it to it's potential.

also.....interesting enough, my daughters still come to me (mom) for all the tech stuff as I guess I stayed up on it.
    Another idea we had in mind is, you know how kids are usually the tech savvy in the family? But nowadays it's changing, especially with phones. Especially fathers that previously had a Blackberry teach their kids on how to use it. So I'm thinking, if we use an ad around that. Portraying the parent as being the "tech savvy" that teaches kids technology...
    10-17-09 05:49 PM
    Another idea we had in mind is, you know how kids are usually the tech savvy in the family? But nowadays it's changing, especially with phones. Especially fathers that previously had a Blackberry teach their kids on how to use it. So I'm thinking, if we use an ad around that. Portraying the parent as being the "tech savvy" that teaches kids technology...
    Yes could be an interesting, funny and slick angle. I think the reason more people using BB's in the past have been older,as the BB's have been more business oriented. Many years ago when they were specifically e-mail machines......as they have evolved, adding better cell phone capabilities and more of todays features, they are getting much more main stream.
    10-17-09 05:59 PM
    I do not like this idea. Name for me 5 commercials where the parents were
    actually smart that worked. Times up

Again, you are not selling them their parents phone, and by extension, their
    parents experience. Your ad needs to focus on the target audience and
    "make them own it".

Now, if you reverse that ad you may have something. Tech savvy kid
    bringing his parents out of the technological stone ages. This you could
    do in all kinds of ways. Humorous, serious, playful, etc.

However you do it, your target audience has to be the focal point.
    10-17-09 07:58 PM
    Greetings all , i thought of the iphone but hey its a touchscreen think of it touching screen not buttons , its about ur comfort ur typeing ur tasks ,

blackberry bold is in the elegent generation u click u type if they added in the bold a touchscreen it would be cool for tasks like zoom and unzoom ? naa click back and thebutton to me is better when driving how can u use urfingers will you put ur iphone on ur belly to give it a tighthold ? iphone is touch screen ur touching a screen do u like to be focusing !! ? with bold less focus more comfort , this is a final conclusion to the touch screen generation , touch screen is good for clickin with ur humoring times like giving a kid candy , im not a kid and u guys are Blackberry workers lets succeed in life and forget about those phones im stick ing with bold until furthur notice...
    Last edited by crozar; 10-18-09 at 06:01 AM.
    10-18-09 05:57 AM
    Why are you trying to shove apple out of its niche? Stick to yours. I'm amazed that there are so many non-professionals who use BBs as it is. Let the teeny boppers have their iphone that they can plaster anime stuff all over.
    10-18-09 06:22 AM
    Yes thats true , in conclusions all opinions overseed each other and the next born babies opinion overseeds us , lets not fight over whos wiser , just accept the current status of the world and never argue back , im talking about today and not the world of merry go round.
    10-18-09 10:03 AM
    Let the teeny boppers have their iphone that they can plaster anime stuff all over.
    You know thats total BS, gimme a break.

Speaking of lawyers seeing your signature, I'm clerking in the Miami courthouse during law school and see PLENTY of lawyers with iphones. Was in a lecture in a courtroom last week with my judge who was lecturing a room full of lawyers for CLE credit, and 4 out of the 6 people sitting in my row had iphones. Are they teenie boppers with anime? Think not. I can tell you a few of them make more than you or I will anytime soon combined (we're talking getting judgments in the hundreds of millions of dollars NUMEROUS times in personal injury suits here. The firm takes 30% and hes a partner with about 3 or 4 others. You do that math, were talking millions still)

Thats just a ridiculous generalization and doesn't help attract people to Blackberry. A "slam" campaign just doesn't work. Plenty of business professionals and adults use iphones and aren't teenie boppers or do kiddy stuff on them. That's the wrong way to convince anyone instead of pointing out the advantages.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 10-18-09 at 01:09 PM.
    10-18-09 01:03 PM
    Overall, I think it is going to be a tough sell. I know that most of my friends have iPhones, and I recently just switched over to BB but I still have some regrets about doing so. There's really nothing I can do about that now.

One of the strong selling points of the iPhone is that it is becoming more affordable and has a great App Store.

The BB, IMO, is more of a professional and work phone. I know my friends who have started working for big corporations are now getting BBs for work.

But honestly, for that demographic, the iPhone is more of a "fun" and "young" phone for them.
    10-18-09 01:24 PM
    Overall, I think it is going to be a tough sell. I know that most of my friends have iPhones, and I recently just switched over to BB but I still have some regrets about doing so. There's really nothing I can do about that now.

One of the strong selling points of the iPhone is that it is becoming more affordable and has a great App Store.

The BB, IMO, is more of a professional and work phone. I know my friends who have started working for big corporations are now getting BBs for work.

But honestly, for that demographic, the iPhone is more of a "fun" and "young" phone for them.
    I think thats another good point, youd have to find out how many RIM users HAVE to use the phones for work (given them) which lends to RIM's strong US presence.

Not everyone chooses to use them, they have to, but the sales numbers dont show that. The sales numbers dont tell the full story of why people choose RIM since close to 50% of their business is corporate use (prob a lot of them are made to use BB).

Id be interested to see the real numbers of how many people by choice bought a BB over another device. I have the feeling its not as high as people seem to think, and RIM wouldnt be half as popular without the group forced to use one for work purposes.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 10-18-09 at 01:32 PM.
    10-18-09 01:29 PM
    Greetings all , i thought of the iphone but hey its a touchscreen think of it touching screen not buttons , its about ur comfort ur typeing ur tasks ,

blackberry bold is in the elegent generation u click u type if they added in the bold a touchscreen it would be cool for tasks like zoom and unzoom ? naa click back and thebutton to me is better when driving how can u use urfingers will you put ur iphone on ur belly to give it a tighthold ? iphone is touch screen ur touching a screen do u like to be focusing !! ? with bold less focus more comfort , this is a final conclusion to the touch screen generation , touch screen is good for clickin with ur humoring times like giving a kid candy , im not a kid and u guys are Blackberry workers lets succeed in life and forget about those phones im stick ing with bold until furthur notice...
    Yes thats true , in conclusions all opinions overseed each other and the next born babies opinion overseeds us , lets not fight over whos wiser , just accept the current status of the world and never argue back , im talking about today and not the world of merry go round.
    Not to be mean but can anyone seriously understand this?
    10-18-09 03:49 PM
    What's with all the hate of the iphone? Calling it just for tweens? I think RIM and Apple are both dominating the market right now and their products are second to none. RIM can't touch em in the touchscreen and media, browsing, OS dept and apple can't touch rim on security, email, and bbm.
    Apple changed the mobile market forever and causing a powershift overseas. Nokia is hurting and looks to be another motorola.

10-18-09 04:44 PM
    Speaking of lawyers seeing your signature, I'm clerking in the Miami courthouse during law school and see PLENTY of lawyers with iphones. Was in a lecture in a courtroom last week with my judge who was lecturing a room full of lawyers for CLE credit, and 4 out of the 6 people sitting in my row had iphones. Are they teenie boppers with anime? Think not. I can tell you a few of them make more than you or I will anytime soon combined (we're talking getting judgments in the hundreds of millions of dollars NUMEROUS times in personal injury suits here. The firm takes 30% and hes a partner with about 3 or 4 others. You do that math, were talking millions still)

Thats just a ridiculous generalization and doesn't help attract people to Blackberry. A "slam" campaign just doesn't work. Plenty of business professionals and adults use iphones and aren't teenie boppers or do kiddy stuff on them. That's the wrong way to convince anyone instead of pointing out the advantages.
    ah, but you're assuming I want to attract people to blackberry, and I don't. I'd like to see the tennyboppers stay away from it frankly, because if RIM thinks it can get the teenybopper demographic, it's going to include a lot of BS that I don't need.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 10-18-09 at 08:57 PM. Reason: profanity
    10-18-09 06:52 PM
    Guys, you are all getting off into the weeds. The OP is trying
    to sell a specific brand and as stated isn't interested to comparing
    it to or slamming any other device or platform.

The iPhone discussion is for another thread, not this one.
    10-18-09 08:56 PM
    I think you should target your market in a couple different ways.

keeping in mind that at betweent he ages of 14-24 gender plays an imprtant role in marketing

1) Humor: While you dont want to draw compariosn to the iPhone you can compare Blackberry smart phones to other phones.

Male persepctive: Show the type of College Guy that EVERYONE hates. Have him braging about his new phone (Non-BB) and how awesome it is. Have him demonstrate by showing a Fart app. then cut to a Hot guy meeting attractive at same party/bar etc. Have hot guy extoll the virtues of Blackberry IE: Sorry I'm running late, did you get my text? I was on the phone with my mother wishing her a happy birthday when my reminder went off... ETC VOICEOVER: Some people like toys, women prefer a man with equipment. BLACKBERRY SMARTPHONES!

Female perspective: same type of jerky guy is pestering cute College girl at a bar. Can he have her phone number? Can he have her Email? facebook?? ETC with each question we hear cute girls thoughts as to why she doesnt want to give it to him: use up texts, could add email to spam list, crank calls ETC. Finally she Offers her pin with the "thought over" I dont have to accept it and it doesnt cost me a dime.

2) paranoia: Sort of a flash facts more suitable to print Ads. Simply post things like The NSA uses Blackberry smartphones, what do they KNOW that you don't? (obviously verify agencies that use blackberry Smartphone) can be used for polcie departments, Presidents ETC. Imply that there is a secret reason they are using this without actually telling the consumer what it is.

3) EDUCATUION "borrow from the Dell campain a few years ago. "Help" the student convince the parents why a Blackberry Smartphone is the device they need to go away from college. For Every reason the stuednt give their parent aloud, have them "thought over" the "real reason" they want it "it has GPS incase I get lsot in a new city/ incase I'm too drunk to find my dorm ".
    10-19-09 09:54 AM
    I think you should attack the iPhone where it is weakest. AT&T service sucks! That is the reason I got a BlackBerry instead of the iPhone. What's the use of the iPhone if it doesn't work half the time?

I could imagine a commercial featuring a bunch of iPhone posers with "No Signal" waving their phones around trying to get a signal and cutting to a group of sophisticated BlackBerry users just getting their stuff done.
    10-19-09 01:09 PM
    I think you should attack the iPhone where it is weakest. AT&T service sucks!
    This from someone on Boost. I am really trying to stifle my laughter.

Nope didn't work
    10-19-09 02:22 PM
    I think you should attack the iPhone where it is weakest. AT&T service sucks! That is the reason I got a BlackBerry instead of the iPhone. What's the use of the iPhone if it doesn't work half the time?

I could imagine a commercial featuring a bunch of iPhone posers with "No Signal" waving their phones around trying to get a signal and cutting to a group of sophisticated BlackBerry users just getting their stuff done.

You do realize there are plenty of BBs on ATT right? This isnt about carriers its about the device since its across all carriers.
    10-19-09 04:37 PM
    If you really want college kids to use it say it is illegal until your 35lol couldn't help myself!
    Most comercials use celebrety and fashion as a seller key. You said it for advertisement class so I am sure your teacher knows that companies use any angle to sell.
    Think this way do you want to buy from the comercial that gives facts and augurrs or the one with the hot model(be they male or female) that swears by the product and claims they use it.
    You are looking at a age group that impulse buys like it is second nature. Peer pressure is still 80% of their factor when buying.
    Point out facts yes, but make it cool and appealing as well. Don't forget the 82xx flip series too lots of younger people buying the flip.

10-19-09 10:31 PM
    Don't forget the 82xx flip series too lots of younger people buying the flip.

I would have to disagree. At my college, flip phones of any type are considered "old man's or old woman's phones." The traditional students want no part of any type of flip phone. Those are "their parents' phones." Slider and candy bar phones are popular with traditional students.
    10-20-09 12:07 AM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD