I always read and hear from the "masses" that BB has no apps. You know the fairytale where you blood is getting hot, when the iPeeps start to talk.

I was wondering. I switched from Iphone to BB in 2011. When apps came out, it was made for Blackberry and Iphone. Right?

And now it changed completely. Apps are made for Ios and Android first. Then maybe for Windows. But surely not for Blackberry.

Can any BB veteran tell us, how it was when BB first was "Blackberry App World"? Did we had all the major apps we used to know first? Which apps were the most wanted?

I remember having a Bold 9900 and it was pure fun surfing for some apps in the store. Then all of a sudden you saw that Iphone and Androids were appealing to the masses. And now we have this situation were devs, are only making apps for the 2 brands. And not for BB anymore.

So, to all veterans. How was the app situation in BB's heydays?

I appreciate any post!
    01-19-15 06:33 PM
    BB app store didn't come around until 2009 and it remained pretty small with not many big names for several years. BB didn't seem to care about apps really until 2011 when the PB came and then they still didn't attract much interest. BB has always been ignored for the most part but things got a little better with bb10
    01-19-15 06:50 PM
    Back then apps weren't as huge an issue though, it really has blossomed the last several years.

Posted from my awesome Classic.
    01-19-15 06:55 PM
    Thank you, gentlemen.

Now that is interesting. I had a feeling when I had my Bold 9000 and 9900, that you had many "action" in the app world as in BB10 now. But I could be wrong.

Do you guys remember the top 10 apps? I remember these LED Buzz apps.

Personally I was happy to download the Bloomberg App, Tune in and WhatsApp which came out I guess in 2011.

Thanks for the insight.
    01-19-15 07:04 PM
    BB app store didn't come around until 2009 and it remained pretty small with not many big names for several years. BB didn't seem to care about apps really until 2011 when the PB came and then they still didn't attract much interest. BB has always been ignored for the most part but things got a little better with bb10
    I mostly concur.

When the first iPhone arrived, the App Store didn't exist IIRC (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Way back then, again IIRC, there were more third-party "applications" for BB devices. I remember helping to beta a few. You had to get them from the developer.

They were not cheap though LOL.

BBRY responded fairly quickly to Apple's curated offering, but just didn't recognize the true importance of third-party apps (I'm assuming) till much later.

When I switched to BB from Palm, I had every application I really needed from Palm.
    pogly2 likes this.
    01-19-15 07:05 PM
    Most personal/entertainment apps were installed online from .jar files from random shady websites .

It was...terrible LOL.

Posted in CB10 from my amazing Passport
    howarmat, acovey and Ealaionta like this.
    01-19-15 07:12 PM
    Apps were just different then it seemed like. I'd install an LED App immediately, and then there was this app that allowed you to change the buttons to do a bunch of different things (which was great). It was also a lot of themes as well. I remember them having a decent selection of some pretty good apps, but it was before the app boom.
    howarmat likes this.
    01-19-15 07:18 PM
    Blast from the past: 7 Great Resources For BlackBerry Applications

Handango was a favorite stop of mine. I just looked and found a receipt for a $10 game LOL.
    01-19-15 07:20 PM
    Blast from the past: 7 Great Resources For BlackBerry Applications

Handango was a favorite stop of mine. I just looked and found a receipt for a $10 game LOL.
    LOL. Yes, Handango. Used it quite a bit back then. Seems like so long ago.

Posted from my awesome Classic.
    01-19-15 07:37 PM
    I loved QuickLaunch on all my BBOS devices that supported it. I used the CB app store before BB came out with one.
    howarmat likes this.
    01-19-15 07:42 PM
    Apps were just different then it seemed like. I'd install an LED App immediately, and then there was this app that allowed you to change the buttons to do a bunch of different things (which was great). It was also a lot of themes as well. I remember them having a decent selection of some pretty good apps, but it was before the app boom.
    Yes, many LED apps, some news apps I guess and many themes!!!!

I remember downloading a Whatsapp like messenger which doesn't exist anymore. or was taken over by Kakao or KIK! don't know.

And I remember that I had a Siri like app from a 3rd party which didn't work out so well. But was better than the BB assistant!

Oh the retro times!!!
    01-19-15 07:45 PM
    The entire BBOS eco system for OS 6/7 was pretty barren
    01-19-15 07:50 PM
    The entire BBOS eco system for OS 6/7 was pretty barren

Can you remember the major apps people downloaded in that era? A top 5 list maybe?
    01-19-15 07:50 PM
    beweather, quicklaunch, meterberry were my must have
    01-19-15 08:10 PM
    Yes! BeWeather!!! It was also a must have!

Bloomberg, WhatsUp, Facebook, Mandingo (the Siri-like app??), Tune In Radio !!!

I mean Blackberry had many onboard apps. Like today. So the app argument sometimes don't make sense. BB10 bring many apps where, in comparison to Ios and Android you need to download from 3rd party!
    01-19-15 08:14 PM
    Yes! BeWeather!!! It was also a must have!

Bloomberg, WhatsUp, Facebook, Mandingo (the Siri-like app??), Tune In Radio !!!

I mean Blackberry had many onboard apps. Like today. So the app argument sometimes don't make sense. BB10 bring many apps where, in comparison to Ios and Android you need to download from 3rd party!
    That's the problem. I think iOS stumbled on the fantastic concept of not trying to be everything to everyone with regards to apps.

No one can do it all. A la carte, cheap apps make more people happy, I think.

Plus, those third party offerings push stock development. Look at how the competition has pushed Google Maps.
    01-19-15 08:29 PM
    We used to have native Google apps such as Google Maps and Google Voice. American banks also used to have native banking apps for BBOS. I definitely miss those because even on the Passport, the Android versions are somewhat slow. Definitely must haves for a "business" phone.

On the consumer side, there were also popular dating apps at the time such as Match and OkCupid, but there are none of those now and no Tinder either. But that's not really a big deal anyway since BB is focusing on enterprise.
    01-19-15 09:31 PM
    Here was a post I made in 2009 listing the apps I had on my Curve ("s" denotes shortcut): http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=2215579

Good times... LOL. Still use a lot of those apps. The whole thread is interesting.
    01-19-15 09:37 PM
    Bold 9700 from 2010 era:

I had FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, Bible, Google Maps, GTalk, Translator, themes and so many apps that Bold's RAM was beaten to death. Then start filtering to very imp apps to such a level that Bold felt very inferior to my wife's iPhone 4 back then. Thankfully BB10 came along.
    01-19-15 09:55 PM
    01-19-15 10:21 PM
    I add the amazing "Score Mobile" app on my old Bold 9900! Great notifications for NBA, NFL and football! It was a quality app!
    avt123 likes this.
    01-20-15 12:05 PM
    I add the amazing "Score Mobile" app on my old Bold 9900! Great notifications for NBA, NFL and football! It was a quality app!
    Yea I used that one as well on my 9000 and 9700.
    01-20-15 12:07 PM
    One of my favorites as well

Posted via CB10 on my ZED10
    01-20-15 03:33 PM
    I'm actually going to disagree a bit here and say that BlackBerry had some pretty cutting edge apps back in 2009. I remember being blown away by how awesome Pod Trapper was - at the time, syncing podcasts with a wired connection via iTunes was the norm for all devices (and by that I generally mean iPods, and remember that the early iPhones were sort of souped up iPods), and as an OTA podcast app PodTrapper was revolutionary.

Nobex was also an awesome radio app, and having links to share and note songs, view lyrics etc was pretty darn amazing at the time. I think it's fair to say it was pretty ahead of its time.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-15 05:10 PM