I'm a pretty casual user on my Tour but in January i racked up 780MB of data and halfway through February, i already hit my 500MB limit. I thought 500MB would be more than enough data..

I'm in Canada, with Bell as my carrier. My bill tracks all my data and there is a significant MB jump every day. 10MB, 20MB, 30MB, even 40MB at a single time. WHAT CAN POSSIBLY USE THIS MUCH DATA??! I've called Bell and they say the charges are valid and can't trace what is causing the data so that's not very helpful.

I don't use many applications.. Dictionary.com, BeBuzz, Wordpress, Bible, Weather Eye, QuickPull, Air Canada, ScoreMobile. I do have Movies and Facebook apps on my phone but don't use either much at all (1-2x a week). I use Google Maps maybe 5x a week.

I used to use Viigo but deleted and am still getting 10-20MB jumps in a 24 hour period. Do you think it's UberTwitter? But I've tried closing UberTwitter altogether for a period and the jumps still come every other day.

I'm aware about closing applications when not using them but this is ridiculous. Could it be a problem with the actual Tour phone?

Any thoughts? HELP PLEASE!! Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by squarewaffle; 02-24-10 at 06:09 PM.
    02-24-10 06:05 PM
    When you say you have movies, you mean they're stored on your memory card right?

You're not actually streaming movies from some website?

And do you tether?
    02-24-10 06:44 PM
    Do you have any apps running in the background using the web.....GPS......apps auto updating.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-10 06:55 PM
    You're using weather eye......does it update itself a lot.

02-24-10 06:56 PM
    my guess would be scoremobile causing the jump in MB.
    02-24-10 07:07 PM
    Two things for you to check about UberTwitter:

On its options, is it set to 'go to background' instead of closing?

When you exit it, do you use the menu and ask for Close, or just use the scape key? (This goes for pretty much every app really.)

Install Mobile Data Alerter, it will not tell you which apps are data hoggers, but will tell you which ones are running and how much data you use daily/montly.
    02-24-10 07:12 PM
    Appreciate all the suggestions!

Sorry, let me clarify, by "Movies" i don't mean having a movie on my phone but having the 'Movies by Flixster' app from BB App World. But again, i only use it for a few minutes once a week, max.

I don't stream movies or even videos. I've never tethered.

As for GPS, i don't have that enabled on my phone. Just Google Maps.

As for browser running in the background, i'm under the impression that the Broswer is 1 of 5 things on a blackberry that is always on, yes? The 5 being: Messages, BBM, Home Screen, Browser, and Phone are what i hear are always running-- as shown if you hold down the BB logo menu.

As for Weather Eye.. that is a good point.. i looked and and it's set to update every 30min. I'll reduce it to updating every 3 hours and see what happens.

For ScoreMobile, I'll delete the app and track with any changes.

For UberTwitter.. i've learned to close the app instead of just Escape key but the jumps are still coming.

I didn't know about Mobile Data Alerter but will get on that, thanks!

The funny thing is, these apps-- like ScoreMobile or Weather Eye or UberTwitter are not unique apps. Thousands of ppl must use them (always being on Top25 in BB App World) but the amount of Data used by the majority of users can't possibly be as high as mine, could it?? Strange.

But thanks for the heads up, everyone, appreciate it! Keep 'em coming if you have other thoughts.
    Last edited by squarewaffle; 02-24-10 at 07:21 PM.
    02-24-10 07:12 PM
    Do you know how things are measured in terms of kilobytes? I was told a data charge in Europe would be 14 cents for 10kb of data transferred. What is an average Email (few lines) in terms of kb?
    02-24-10 07:29 PM
    Most likely ScoreMobile or Weather Eye. The default score mobile settings have it update itself every 5 minutes in the background.

02-24-10 07:36 PM
    ... snip

The funny thing is, these apps-- like ScoreMobile or Weather Eye or UberTwitter are not unique apps. Thousands of ppl must use them (always being on Top25 in BB App World) but the amount of Data used by the majority of users can't possibly be as high as mine, could it?? Strange.

In the US, most data plans are unlimited.
    02-24-10 08:30 PM
    no way in h ell u are using up to 700 MB in data w/o tethering. even with tethering...u wont be using that much unless u downloading or streaming movies...imho.
    02-24-10 08:30 PM
    Umm 700 MB is not much at all. **** I used to use at least 2 GB a month on my iPhone and that was just with regular usage no streaming whatsoever.

02-24-10 08:44 PM
    I'd say that Score Mobile is less likely. I never changed mine from the 5 minute updates - I honestly never looked - and well I've NEVER had this problem on 3 different bbs.

I'm thinking google maps - you say you have it, and it will constantly be using your data - even if gps is off.
    02-24-10 09:08 PM
    But all BB data is streamlined?
    02-24-10 09:14 PM
    Appreciate all the suggestions!

Sorry, let me clarify, by "Movies" i don't mean having a movie on my phone but having the 'Movies by Flixster' app from BB App World. But again, i only use it for a few minutes once a week, max.

I don't stream movies or even videos. I've never tethered.

Movies by Flixster
    - Watch high quality trailers currently only available on some devices

Sounds like either streaming or video downloading. Either way, heavy data operation.

As for GPS, i don't have that enabled on my phone. Just Google Maps.

Google Maps is lighter but if you use it on daily basis, it could mount up. I don't think this is the culprit thou.

As for browser running in the background, i'm under the impression that the Broswer is 1 of 5 things on a blackberry that is always on, yes? The 5 being: Messages, BBM, Home Screen, Browser, and Phone are what i hear are always running-- as shown if you hold down the BB logo menu.

The browser only really works when you put it to use, so this is ok.

As for Weather Eye.. that is a good point.. i looked and and it's set to update every 30min. I'll reduce it to updating every 3 hours and see what happens.

This would be almost as bad as having UberTwitter on all day...

For ScoreMobile, I'll delete the app and track with any changes.

For UberTwitter.. i've learned to close the app instead of just Escape key but the jumps are still coming.

Means I was right to assume it is set to move to background. Go to Options and 'Next' till you see the checkbox to stop that from happening.

I didn't know about Mobile Data Alerter but will get on that, thanks!

I didn't either! Found it completely out of luck! But I am enjoying using it!

But thanks for the heads up, everyone, appreciate it! Keep 'em coming if you have other thoughts.
    Hope you manage to drop them. Now at least you can keep a closer eye on how it's going.
    02-24-10 09:21 PM
    Two things for you to check about UberTwitter:

On its options, is it set to 'go to background' instead of closing?

When you exit it, do you use the menu and ask for Close, or just use the scape key? (This goes for pretty much every app really.)

Install Mobile Data Alerter, it will not tell you which apps are data hoggers, but will tell you which ones are running and how much data you use daily/montly.
    ok, Thanks so much
    02-24-10 09:24 PM
    no way in h ell u are using up to 700 MB in data w/o tethering. even with tethering...u wont be using that much unless u downloading or streaming movies...imho.
    I use over 2 GB/month without tethering.

But all BB data is streamlined?
    Not streaming radio. I listen to Slacker around 2 hrs./day. It doesn't matter to me how much I use, since my data plan is unlimited.
    02-24-10 09:24 PM
    Do you know how things are measured in terms of kilobytes? I was told a data charge in Europe would be 14 cents for 10kb of data transferred. What is an average Email (few lines) in terms of kb?
    1 KB = 500 characters
    You can take it from there.
    02-24-10 09:31 PM
    I use over 2 GB/month without tethering.

Not streaming radio. I listen to Slacker around 2 hrs./day. It doesn't matter to me how much I use, since my data plan is unlimited.
    the op didn't state he listen to streaming radio...so i doubt he could use up to 700 MB in data.
    02-24-10 09:45 PM
    1 KB = 500 characters
    You can take it from there.
    Erm... 1 character requires one byte, so 1Kbyte is approximately 1000 characters in the Latin character sets. Allow a little for transmission overheads and the recipient's email address, subject line and you can probably expect to average about 900 - 950 characters of content in 1 Kbyte. Multibyte characters (Unicode) for arabic or the asian languages will usually be just below 500 per 1Kbyte.
    02-24-10 09:53 PM
    On Bell - with regular use and a lot of web browsing and initial setup downloading, the most I have EVER used was 382Mb.

Either there is a seriously malfunctioning app or the phone is wonky.

OP - do you turn the phone off at night?
    02-25-10 12:48 AM
    Pffff. I'm glad VF doesn't charge for data. You pay 15€ a month for unlimited data via BlackBerry. Only thing is that after 300mb the speed gets reduced.

Yeah. You use a lot of apps. . I mean, all those apps are always on and always connecting online. I'd delete all of them and go one by one installing them every day to see which is eating the all the data.

02-25-10 01:05 AM
    I checked my usage only 27mb...I figured it would be a lot more.... How much data would 2 hours of radio be ??? just wondering
    02-25-10 06:35 AM
    Lol I use like 20mb a month............go me!
    02-25-10 01:25 PM
    I don't think ScoreMobile is the culprit, I've left that program running over night on accident, and it only updates every 5 minutes whenever it is tracking live games, if there's nothing active, it doesn't update, at least that's the way it seems to me.
    02-25-10 02:31 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD